Keepers for 2 teams. Early thoughts for 2013. WHIR! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Keepers for 2 teams. Early thoughts for 2013. WHIR!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keepers for 2 teams. Early thoughts for 2013. WHIR!

Postby MrAccoe » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:54 pm

2 different H2H Yahoo leagues.

1st Team: Keep 6 Flat

Definite: Kemp, Holliday, Pedroia

Probable: Encarnacion, Morse, Adam Jones

Maybe?: Chase Headley (for Morse)

Will most likely try to work out a trade of a 2 for 1 for someone else's keeper. Barring any trades, do I take a shot with keeping Headley possibly over Morse?

2nd Team: Keep up to 6. (Draft pick it would cost me)

Definite: Miguel Cabrera (1), Kemp (2), Cano (3), Verlander (4)

Probable: Zobrist (5), Ryan Zimmerman (6)

Maybe: Carlos Beltran (11), RA Dickey (12), Willingham (20), Niese (21)

I always like to keep the best, regardless of where they were drafted, but in this case, it's really tough for me to gauge what kind of season Dickey will have next year. Same with Beltran as well. Willingham would be a nice back end keeper as he provided me roughly 3rd round value with my 2nd to last pick. Most likely will have to trade, but barring trades, would you keep the lower keepers over Zobrist or Zimmerman to give me an extra 5th or 6th round pick in next year's draft?
MrAccoe
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keepers for 2 teams. Early thoughts for 2013. WHIR!

Postby americanleagueroto » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:39 am

For the 1st team - meh. For some reason I am having a hard time getting excited about whatever difference there may be. Headley is basically having a 2011 Mike Morse season and Mike Morse was hurt this year. If Headley is moved this offseason that could make things more interesting.

For the 2nd team I would definitely take Willingham (even when factoring in regression) over Zimmerman for the round difference. Possibly even Beltran also, but I think Beltrans value will be less than 9 rounds between him and Willingham, so Willingham it is. Cabrera will only be 3rd Eligible next season also, and you can find a CI if you use one, that will be productive enough.

Cheers
Twitter: @dmojr - Always available to talk fantasy or be that second opinion before a trade.
americanleagueroto
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MaudDib » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:37 pm

Team 1: Kemp, Holliday, Pedroia, Jones, EE are the easy choices. I would probably take Headley over Morse. Not sure I believe that much in Headley but he will go higher in drafts.

Team 2: Miggy, Kemp, Cano, Verlander, Dickey are the easy choices. I would probably than take Niese as he will go a lot higher than round 21. Zimmerman, Zobrist and Beltran are wild cards and not great values. Not worth keeping at the price you have to give up. Plus you won't have a pick in the top 4 rounds so I wouldn't take a round 5 guy unless he was a no brainer.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 301)

Postby MrAccoe » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:11 pm

MaudDib wrote:
Team 2: Miggy, Kemp, Cano, Verlander, Dickey are the easy choices. I would probably than take Niese as he will go a lot higher than round 21. Zimmerman, Zobrist and Beltran are wild cards and not great values. Not worth keeping at the price you have to give up. Plus you won't have a pick in the top 4 rounds so I wouldn't take a round 5 guy unless he was a no brainer.

Leaning towards either Zobrist (SS eligibility), Willingham, or Niese but a lot can change in the offseason. Is Zobrist not worth a 5th round pick at this point as a SS? Not a great value but I like keeping the best available, which has worked for me this season. (Kept 1st 6 round picks and in the finals).
MrAccoe
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MaudDib » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:01 am

:,-(
MrAccoe wrote:
MaudDib wrote:

Leaning towards either Zobrist (SS eligibility), Willingham, or Niese but a lot can change in the offseason. Is Zobrist not worth a 5th round pick at this point as a SS? Not a great value but I like keeping the best available, which has worked for me this season. (Kept 1st 6 round picks and in the finals).

I am not a big Zobrist fan so take that into consideration. I don't see him being worth a 5th round pick right now unless I am missing something.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 301)

Postby burty1 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:44 am

Headley in the first...

Between Dickey and WIllingham in 2nd...Flip a coin, but I think I'd go with Dickey...

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=452335
burty1
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Element » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:44 pm

MrAccoe wrote:1st Team: Keep 6 Flat

Definite: Kemp ;-D , Holliday ;-D , Pedroia ;-D

Probable: Encarnacion ;-D , Morse, Adam Jones ;-D

Maybe?: Chase Headley ;-D (for Morse)

Definite: Miguel Cabrera (1) ;-D , Kemp (2) ;-D , Cano (3) ;-D , Verlander (4) ;-D

Maybe: Carlos Beltran (11) ;-D , RA Dickey (12) ;-D , Willingham (20) ;-D , Niese (21)

Team 1 - I think that Morse will fall in drafts. You could probably add him at good value next season.

Team 2 - Dickey is a mystery to me as well, but it's well worth a 12th round pick to find out. I'd want to keep my options open with the 5th and 6th rounds. Zobrist and Zimmerman don't excite me enough. I'd gladly take Willingham's power in round 20
Last edited by Element on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 632)

Postby Element » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:45 pm

Element wrote:
MrAccoe wrote:1st Team: Keep 6 Flat

Definite: Kemp ;-D , Holliday ;-D , Pedroia ;-D

Probable: Encarnacion ;-D , Morse, Adam Jones ;-D

Maybe?: Chase Headley ;-D (for Morse)

Definite: Miguel Cabrera (1) ;-D , Kemp (2) ;-D , Cano (3) ;-D , Verlander (4) ;-D

Maybe: Carlos Beltran (11) , RA Dickey (12) ;-D , Willingham (20) ;-D , Niese (21)

Team 1 - I think that Morse will fall in drafts. You could probably add him at good value next season.

Team 2 - Dickey is a mystery to me as well, but it's well worth a 12th round pick to find out. I'd want to keep my options open with the 5th and 6th rounds. Zobrist and Zimmerman don't excite me enough. I'd gladly take Willingham's power in round 20.

...and this is me quoting me!
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 632)

Postby MrAccoe » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:08 pm

Thanks for the help. Looks like everyone likes Willingham's value in the 20th. Even if he doesn't repeat this year's numbers, it's only a 20th round pick. I forgot about Cabrera's eligibility, so there's really no reason to keep Zimmerman as well.

Regarding the first team though, given Morse's late power surge, who's more likely to keep up the power numbers, Morse or Headley? I know that Headley will be jumping in the drafts next year, but I highly doubt he's going to keep up the pace. I mean he more than doubled his career high in HR's this year.
MrAccoe
College Coach
College Coach

Postby americanleagueroto » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:15 pm

MrAccoe wrote:Regarding the first team though, given Morse's late power surge, who's more likely to keep up the power numbers, Morse or Headley? I know that Headley will be jumping in the drafts next year, but I highly doubt he's going to keep up the pace. I mean he more than doubled his career high in HR's this year.

My general take on Headley is some regression is coming if he stays at PETCO next year. If he's traded to a more hitter friendly park, I could see him putting up this years line again. People however will see a trade to a better park and expect a lot more, meaning he'll go even earlier in drafts.
Twitter: @dmojr - Always available to talk fantasy or be that second opinion before a trade.
americanleagueroto
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions