Pick 5 - 2013 Edition - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Pick 5 - 2013 Edition

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pick 5 - 2013 Edition

Postby jonboy418 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:51 am

I'm in a 10 team keeper league that puts emphasis on high AVG & OPS and power stats. (I completely punt SB). I have to pick 5 players, 2 have to be pitchers.

No Brainers:
Felix Hernandez
Miguel Cabrera
Carlos Gonzalez

From there it gets tricky. For pitchers, I'm trying to decide between:
Madison Bumgarner
Matt Cain
Jordan Zimmerman
Kris Medlen
I'm leaning towards Bumgarner.

For hitters:
Adrian Beltre
Hanley Ramirez
Ben Zobrist
Allen Craig

I've kept Hanley for the last few years, but his power and average are in sharp decline and I'm too frustrated with him. Beltre scares me with age and injury. Zobrist is a homer pick, he's my favorite player on my favorite team and shares my son's name. But his walk rate is amazing. Under my league settings, he's #3 2B and #2 SS. Am I crazy for taking a shot with Allen Craig? What this guy has done this season in only 120 games makes me think he could be a top 20 guy with 162 games under his belt.

What do you think? WHIR.
jonboy418
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 35)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pick 5 - 2013 Edition

Postby MaudDib » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:55 am

I would take Cain and Beltre. It is kind of a coin flip between Cain and Bumgarner so go with whichever one you like more. I am more comfortable with Cain but both are very good. I would find it hard to keep Hanley right now. He has good upside but I just don't see it coming back around. If you could trade 2 of the 3 for an upgrade, then that is what I would try and do but that can be difficult to pull off especially during the off season. Zobrist and Craig aren't in the same category as Beltre and really shouldn't be thought of as keepers with him on your team.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby americanleagueroto » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

You're already keeping a 3B in Cabrera, so I wouldn't keep Beltre. With your league setup I would strongly consider keeping Zobrist. Not only for the position eligibilty, but also because fantasy is fun and if he's on your favorite team why not pick the player you really want to root for. He's a valuable piece to your roster.

As far as pitchers go, Cain is probably the right choice, but my biased love for Bumgarner makes him my pick at the pitcher spot.

Cheers
Twitter: @dmojr - Always available to talk fantasy or be that second opinion before a trade.
americanleagueroto
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kaiser » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:34 am

Baumgarner and Beltre are the pretty clear choices, in my opinion. I don't think position should play into it at all, unless you don't play with a flex or CI roster slot.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 306)

Postby americanleagueroto » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:37 am

kaiser wrote:Baumgarner and Beltre are the pretty clear choices, in my opinion. I don't think position should play into it at all, unless you don't play with a flex or CI roster slot.

i completely agree. I thought I read it was a yahoo league, so i was assuming no CI spot.
Twitter: @dmojr - Always available to talk fantasy or be that second opinion before a trade.
americanleagueroto
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions