Maxing out limits - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Maxing out limits

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Maxing out limits

Postby West » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:56 pm

In my main Roto Yahoo standard 5x5 keeper league we have a 162 game per position, 1250 IP limit. Every year it seems that the top finishers have fared the best in terms of total games played by position players and are right on their IP limits.

This year I shorted catcher by 4 games, which is better than I normally do. But I am right on with the other positions and plan on finishing the second to last day with OF at -1G so I can start all three on the last day of the season and finish at +2G. As per the usual with pitchers, I will finish the second to last day 5-10 IP under depending on how long my starters go and then I will stream 6-7 SP on the final day.

How does your last week strategy go?
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 89)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Maxing out limits

Postby jfg » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:13 pm

My last week strategy is to look up at all the teams ahead of me. I suck at roto. :-D
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby Izenhart » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:23 pm

I don't have any teams anywhere close to maxing out my hitters games.

I'm struggling to get to inning limits too, I really only played one team daily and that was a H2H team.

One strategy I am using is on teams I have no saves points to lose in roto I dumped all my relievers and am trying to stream every starter every day for the last 5 days of the season. So far it's working pretty nicely.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 294)

Postby jackie hayes » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:44 pm

I try not to wait for the last day to load up on starters, but I'm close on saves, so I might have to do that, or just forget the move altogether. I wish I were better on games played -- I didn't do a stellar job of managing my roster this year.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 70)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:06 pm

One thing I learned this year is that managing your roster (not just making sure you max out your games played limits, but also starting the right guys and being willing to pick guys off the wire for spot starts) is almost as important as the actual team that you have.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby fast dogs » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:53 am

I usually try to get close to the IP limit then "pick a day" when I had the best SP going to use as my final day. Sometimes a few days before the very end is actually better than the last day or two depending who I had left & the FA options avail. Too many playoff SP just use their final game as a 3 inning tune up and have little or no chance at getting a win. The closer you wait to the last day, the more likely you are to getting 9 innings pieced together by half the pitching staff
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 303)

Postby J35J » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:31 am

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:One thing I learned this year is that managing your roster (not just making sure you max out your games played limits, but also starting the right guys and being willing to pick guys off the wire for spot starts) is almost as important as the actual team that you have.

Absolutely right...which is why I'm moving to just 1 league next year...I don't have the time, or really the desire, as I get older to really manage each team like they should be if you really plan on making a push at first place, year in and year out.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)

Postby jfg » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:12 pm

I'm kind of debating whether to play in my roto leagues next year. H2H involves some luck, but it's a lot more fun than the methodical numbers game roto is.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby snash » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:31 pm

fast dogs wrote:I usually try to get close to the IP limit then "pick a day" when I had the best SP going to use as my final day. Sometimes a few days before the very end is actually better than the last day or two depending who I had left & the FA options avail. Too many playoff SP just use their final game as a 3 inning tune up and have little or no chance at getting a win. The closer you wait to the last day, the more likely you are to getting 9 innings pieced together by half the pitching staff

This is my strategy as well. Aim to get your IP limit close to max toward the last week of the season. My experience tells me to pick a "D Day" a few days before the end of the season. The last day or two of the season will typically be started by rookies who won't be allow to go much more than 5 IP. Oftentimes, they get pulled with a extremely low pitch count. Teams are usually auditioning rookies for next year and need as many IP available to slot in as many appearances as possible. Or playoff-bound teams are using them to keep their rotations stretched out, but the SP won't go very long even if they are spotless in the starts. Either way, getting wins or QS are difficult. 8-o

For me, I'm doing D Day today, fully loading up all my pitching slots with starters, since I already have 3 SPs who are scheduled to go out today. Even though I just lost the saves lead last night, I'm not convinced the matchups are enticing enough for me to postpone a day or two based on Mon and Tues's schedules.

Still pretty pizzed off that I lost the NSV lead with 2 blown saves last night, so now I'm trailing by 1. :~( Oh well... Life goes on... Trying to make up for K, SP, and possibly a CG today. :-B
snash
College Coach
College Coach

Postby converge241 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:50 am

That Yahoo backdoor to the limit is pretty nice - as long as you have any innings left can have as many pitchers go that last day and acumulate. Try to cushion up on last day starters. Still trying to find who's throwing for the Orioles Wednesday though ;-D
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers