In need of commish wisdom. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

In need of commish wisdom.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: In need of commish wisdom.

Postby ChefBoyRG54 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:02 pm

Yeah Darizzo, I have 9 owners that talk about our league year round. I have had 1 spot change each year which we recently filled with a hopeful(hopeful he gets addicted)

Couple other things we do, just as food for thought, is when we created the scoring(custom points league with weekly H2H) we made sure pitching and batting were balanced. Took some adjusting and league feedback but worked out pretty well.

We limited the amount of SP you can have on roster to 6 and RP to 4 to prevent streaming loads of points throughout week.

Also set up FAAB to $150 yearly and waiver period(or bidding cycle) to end on Sunday at 11PM and Wednesday at 11PM to avoid being able to rotate pitching daily.

Keeps things very interesting and strategic because if 2 pitchers go on DL(and we have 1 DL spot for pitching), you are forced to consider dropping 1 and replacing or living without 1 potentially high scoring roster spot until he is back.

Weeks where your pitchers pitch twice in same week can pay big dividends so weekly matchups get really interesting throughout year.

We do our drafts live which allows for pick trading. I keep a running Excel spreadsheet to organize picks(GETS CRAZY) and i send it out every time a move is made. Helps keep me sane...
Pete Rose for President

ChefBoyRG54
ChefBoyRG54
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Quackman » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:14 pm

Dont do 7 or 8. Way too many. You need to make people make hard decisions on who to keep. Personally, i prefer keeper leagues with 2 or 3. Lower numbers of keepers make drafts more fun also. Fun factor is less if the top 100 players are off the board to begin with. Up to 5 is where i am in keepers. 5 is on the high side for me but still fun and you get to keep a nice little combination of hitting/pitching if you choose to.
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 64)

Postby americanleagueroto » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:55 pm

My vote goes with always using an auction draft, which establishes a salary for that player. That player can be kept for 1 year at that auction price, and then you must decide if you're going to keep that player for ONE more year at that original auction price and lose him no matter what after the following season (even if he's traded to another team, he's still going back in the pool, salary/contract is traded)

OR after that first year kept at auction price, you can offer a player a "Long Term Contract" which in most leagues has a minimum (usually 2 years) or maximum (3 to 4 years) If this route is used, the players contract goes up X each year (Usually $5 in a 260 budget league)

If you cut or drop a player that is under a Long Term Contract, you pay half the remaining balance of the contract by losing that amount in the following years draft.

This makes it so bidding small amount on up and coming players is worthwhile, but yet, you still have hard decisions to make when it comes to offering Long Term Contracts.

We've used this set up in my AL Only keeper for years, and can keep UP TO 10. Works great.

;-D
Twitter: @dmojr - Always available to talk fantasy or be that second opinion before a trade.
americanleagueroto
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner