In need of commish wisdom. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

In need of commish wisdom.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

In need of commish wisdom.

Postby Darizzo » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:26 pm

I have grand plans of starting a 15-16 team keeper league next year, and there are a few things I would like to implement. So if there is anyone with experience involving these, good or bad, I'd love to hear about it.

1) I'd like to increase redraft position by two slots for keepers after the second season. I'm thinking of having 7 or 8 keepers per team. Is anyone doing this in their league? What's your setup? Is it successful, or do you run into problems?

2) I'd like to keep things interesting for the latter half of the standings and not necessarily reward teams for tanking it. So I was thinking of implementing a draft lottery. Is anyone doing something similar? How many teams are you including in the lottery? Do you give the better odds for the higher teams or the teams with the worse records? Are people still tanking?

A big thanks to anyone that shares their thoughts.

Cheers,

Michael
Darizzo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: In need of commish wisdom.

Postby bigmck » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:41 pm

Darizzo wrote:I have grand plans of starting a 15-16 team keeper league next year, and there are a few things I would like to implement. So if there is anyone with experience involving these, good or bad, I'd love to hear about it.

1) I'd like to increase redraft position by two slots for keepers after the second season. I'm thinking of having 7 or 8 keepers per team. Is anyone doing this in their league? What's your setup? Is it successful, or do you run into problems?

2) I'd like to keep things interesting for the latter half of the standings and not necessarily reward teams for tanking it. So I was thinking of implementing a draft lottery. Is anyone doing something similar? How many teams are you including in the lottery? Do you give the better odds for the higher teams or the teams with the worse records? Are people still tanking?

A big thanks to anyone that shares their thoughts.

Cheers,

Michael

If you do not have a salary league, keeping 8 players is too many. The good teams will stay good and the bad teams will not improve. == Even if it is not a Salary league, you need to have a number of years limit that you can keep a player. I would suggest three. If you let a team keep their good players for an unlimited number of years, again you will have the good teams staying good and the bad teams staying bad.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Postby Darizzo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:52 pm

Thanks for the recommendation.

Currently, I'm in a league with five keepers per team (not the commish), and an unlimited amount of time holding on to them. Personally, I wish I had a few more keeper slots that I could fill with prospects. I know it makes it hard to get the top players, but I feel like if you are aggressive, you'll work on getting prospects and build a team. Plus, I was hoping the increase in draft slot over the years would kind of get players back in the draft pool, or force managers to be creative in order to hold on to certain players.
Darizzo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bigmck » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:03 pm

Darizzo wrote:Thanks for the recommendation.

Currently, I'm in a league with five keepers per team (not the commish), and an unlimited amount of time holding on to them. Personally, I wish I had a few more keeper slots that I could fill with prospects. I know it makes it hard to get the top players, but I feel like if you are aggressive, you'll work on getting prospects and build a team. Plus, I was hoping the increase in draft slot over the years would kind of get players back in the draft pool, or force managers to be creative in order to hold on to certain players.

Having a league with Keepers and Prospects is two different things. You can have a small amount of ML Keepers and still have a Bench for only Prospects. The two would not conflict with each other. == I don't think that the Draft Slot idea would stop someone from Keeping Mike Trout for many years to come. It just makes for a better league when everyone knows that in a few years a player will be dropped and they will have a shot at him. I like the limited years a player can be kept.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Darizzo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:57 pm

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of forcing players back into the draft pool after a certain number of years. Can you make it a challenge for someone to keep that player long term? Sure, but they should be rewarded for being crafty in their personnel decisions.

I lost out on Trout in my keeper this year because my draft strategy was poor. The guy that got him can keep him indefinitely, and I'm cool with that. If I want him bad enough, I'll find a way to trade for him. Or, I'll just be smarter the next time around and try to grab the next stud player that shows up.

Anyone else have any thoughts or suggestions on my original questions?
Darizzo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby RedTiger » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:16 am

I like auction leagues. 1) its easy to make salary based keeper rules 2) no need to worry about tanking 3) you get a shot at any player no matter where you finish

Maybe try a draft order that benefits the bottom teams but still forces competition late in the year.

In a ten team league for example, maybe have the order be 8,9,10,6,7,5,4,3,2,1. I have no experience doing this, but maybe it makes sense. You let the bottom 3 teams keep competing, you let 6 and 7 compete, and chances are 5 is worrying about trying to finish 3rd or 4th that they don't care about a spot or two. The idea is that there will be tiers of teams in your league. Only after a few years will you be able to know that there are usually 3 horrible teams each year, or five that compete for the top 3 spots, etc. The way I proposed, you might have a team or two per year be in a position to tank. With a normal reverse draft order, every team can tank.
RedTiger
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 29)

Postby bigmck » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:05 pm

I agree with RedTiger that Salary Leagues are much better for Keepers. I have been in one for years and it has a lot of advantages over Draft Leagues. It is strange that not more people play in a Salary League.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mkultra » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:12 pm

I do both. In my draft league (H2H points), we keep 5 for up to 3 years each. Those guys just take your first 5 picks. It's fine.

Keeping at draft value + X is pretty common, though, and encourages a bit more strategic investing for value. You're as likely, if not more, to keep a "pretty good" rookie with a promising future that you got at the end of the draft than a stud who costs you a 1st-round pick.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby ChefBoyRG54 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:41 pm

In our league I set up the draft to be 9, 10, 5, 6, 7, 8, 4, 3, 2, 1.

9&10 play each other for full playoffs for 1st rd pick(2 rds/2 weeks). Consolation ladder plays with 3rd pick being grand prize. Champ brackets gets to pick in reverse based on winning being the grand prize along with our sweet trophy:)

Works really well for keeping guys interested down stretch. Guys sell off at deadline but keep themselves strong enough to contend for picks

For keepers we keep guys in the round they were originally drafted for indefinite amount of time. The reason we don't limit this is to promote keeping young guys hoping they pan out. For instance a guy got laughed at for keeping trout in 20th rd since he was still in minors. Who is laughing now??? His gamble paid off and he is rewarded with trout in 20th as long as he would like.

I am debating keeping oscar tavares in 15th. Trouts come along yearly right?!?!? Lol

By not having guys become more expensive over time it allows for a lot of trading and solid values to be established. Really helps when you are making a run and can cash in a stud

We have 5 keepers total and can trade draft picks for following year. A lot of fun. Very competitive and the rules make it a challenge to get the next up and comers. Some guys keep players in early rounds but a lot of us are trending away from it so we can keep guys late and draft guys early

Good luck
Pete Rose for President

ChefBoyRG54
ChefBoyRG54
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Darizzo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:39 am

Thanks Chefboy. It seems like you're doing a lot of things in your league that I was considering for mine. My whole goal it to set up something challenging, yet rewarding and ultimately a good time for everyone involved. It certainly sounds like you guys are having fun with that setup.
Darizzo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner