Asking for a little advice. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Asking for a little advice.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Asking for a little advice.

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:02 am

Are you guys seriously arguing over this? Nothing in the world matters less than this.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:31 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:Are you guys seriously arguing over this? Nothing in the world matters less than this.

You must be new here. We have argued over way less important things than this before. O:-)

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:07 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:Are you guys seriously arguing over this? Nothing in the world matters less than this.

I solved jfg's problem like a boss, they're just finding something else to talk about :-b
How 'bout those "NFL referees"?

Tavish wrote:I know you are hard headed at times, but I know you aren't completely obtuse.

AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:47 am

Madison wrote:Most I've dealt with (and have dealt with my wife) have been good people that did good jobs.
Without delving into the whole debate over the definition of the word 'overqualified', I'd just like to dip in here and say that while I have never personally used one, several of my friends have with great success, and one of my friends actually is a head hunter in Manhattan; I've heard nothing but wonderful things from those who have used them in NYC. I would recommend trying to seek one out if that's at all an option, jfg. Good luck. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:48 am

I was going to dignify this with a response, but I'm way too overqualified.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:52 am

Tavish wrote:

You must be new here. We have argued over way less important things than this before. O:-)
Okay, so I lied. At any rate, as has been discussed here before ad nasua, is that using a dictionary definition of something that has meaning well beyond the seven words used to describe it by Merriam-Webster is just silly. Hell, even Wikipedia has a decent enough description that is pretty much universally agreed upon (Tav posted the link, but here's the snippet, just because Darrelle Revis tore his ACL and suddenly I'm less interested in the NFL, and hoping the refs can make the Jets win a few more games)...

Overqualification is the state of being skilled or educated beyond what is necessary for a job. There can often be high costs for companies associated with training employees. This could be a problem for professionals applying for a job where they significantly exceed the job requirements because potential employers may feel they are using the position as a stepping stone.

Overqualified candidates may be seen as taking the position temporarily in order to obtain work experience for another position or taking the position temporarily until better employment can be found. Therefore it may be in a company's interest to reject job candidates that significantly exceed their job requirements because they are "overqualified" and not likely to be loyal to a position or company. An example would be an experienced high level manager who is overqualified for a low level management position.

So yes, when somebody is saying, "Sorry, we won't hire you because you're overqualified.", they're essentially saying, "We won't hire you because we aren't confident you'll be here for more than a short while..." as Madison has indicated (calling it a 'lie'), but that statement continues "... because you're overqualified for this position, and it stands to reason you would rather have a job which your qualifications meet rather than vastly exceed."

This isn't rocket science folks.
Last edited by bigh0rt on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:54 am

Don't know if you've read this, or if it will even be helpful jfg, but here are Monster's Resume Tips for When You're Overqualified. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:20 am

jfg wrote:Yeah, the one interview she had where she got to the last step was a secretary for a lawyer. The lawyer was in his early 50's and he turned her down because he wanted somebody that would be there with him until he retired. That's insane, you can hope to get 15 years out of somebody, but there's no guarantee with anybody that they'll stay. Too many employers hire based on how long they think they will be in a position instead of what a person can give the company right now. If it' a good fit, both parties won't want to look elsewhere.

I hired somebody with a law degree to be my assistant years ago and I'll never do it again.
She was awesome and perfect for the position but then moved on to a lawyer position. She asked if I would hire her and if I wouldn't she was going to move to another law firm. In a small office like mine training and becoming comfortable with an assistant is a big investment and I can't afford fast turnover. I want whoever I hire to stay for 20+ years and somebody with a law degree isn't going to do that. I'm looking for somebody a lot less ambitious.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:22 am

Tavish wrote:I know you are hard headed at times, but I know you aren't completely obtuse. Do you really think that a word can not have a specific meaning within an environment?

Yes, I am hard headed at times, but I am using the word exactly as it was intended and written to be used. Just because the "industry standard" is to take multiple reasons and lump them under that term, that doesn't make it right, ok, or the truth.

Tavish wrote:I'm sorry but, you are making the term out to be something that it isn't.

I'm using it exactly as it was defined and intended to be used. For whatever reason, you're refusing to see that you are the one expanding the definition of the word and using it as a general excuse instead of the actual reason someone didn't get a job.

Tavish wrote:Being too smart for a job can cause an issue in some cases (boredom for the most part), but the most typical concerns for an employer hiring someone who is overqualified is the stepping stone concern or the pay expectancy. Job qualification, especially for very strong companies, are usually crafted in a very specific manner. They aren't just there to show the minimum amount of knowledge needed to handled a position. They are made not only for the applicant, but for the hiring department to determine the type of individual best suited to the position. Going too far over the qualifications can be just as much a hindrance as being too far beneath them. In some cases the employer is better off hiring an under-qualified applicant before an overqualified one.

In theory a company should always try and hire a person with the most qualification, in practice the nuclear physicist that you just hired on as a janitor isn't going to be scrubbing toilets a few years from now.

As I've said, I hear you and I don't disagree. What I've said is that companies should be honest. If someone expects pay that is too much, that should be given as the reason they didn't get hired. If the employer thinks the candidate is using the job as a "stepping stone", that's the reason that should be given. Lumping a bunch of stuff under 1 excuse should not be the norm. I know it currently is, but that doesn't make it right or honest.

Here, let me try this a different way: Employers should be more exacting when giving the reason for a non-hire. Quit using blanket statements like "overqualified" and start giving more pointed and exact reasons. Better?

Tavish wrote:

Very true. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:28 am

It's the Peter Principle in practice.
Overqualified means you suspect that the person's excessive qualifications for the position they are applying for implies either a lack of interest in the position or that they will shortly move on to a position commensurate with their qualifications.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk