Melky Cabrera deemed ineligible for BA title - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Melky Cabrera deemed ineligible for BA title

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Melky Cabrera deemed ineligible for BA title

Postby Izenhart » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:51 pm

He fell 1 at bat short to qualify, but under the current rules, extra hitless at bats are added to a player's total to determine who wins. Apparently Melky has just been ruled ineligible due to being suspended for cheating and also an amendment to the rule saying you need to have enough at bats to qualify has been made.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1587
(Past Year: 532)
Joined: 22 Mar 2012
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Big Papiville

Re: Melky Cabrera deemed ineligible for BA title

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:02 pm

So basically Melky was going to win so they changed the rules after the fact. Way to go, MLB! :-b

In other news, they're not happy that the AL double-wildcard race is all but dead, so in the best interests of the game they're reverting back to one wild card spot.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3033
(Past Year: 528)
Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Melky Cabrera deemed ineligible for BA title

Postby jorgesca » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:48 pm

I heard on Latin America ESPN Melky sent a letter so he would be ineligible to win the BA title because by the current rules he would have won it. I don't know how true this is because commentators are always praising latin players, but that's what they said.
jorgesca
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 102
(Past Year: 35)
Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Melky Cabrera deemed ineligible for BA title

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:56 pm

Image
25
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 14067
(Past Year: 851)
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: BUSTER HATH ARRIVED

Re: Melky Cabrera deemed ineligible for BA title

Postby mweir145 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:04 pm

Next we should take away the 2 WS titles from Boston. Manny was on those teams.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 85)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Melky Cabrera deemed ineligible for BA title

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:34 pm

I didn't know about the AB rule or having enough AB to qualify or whatever. but if he had the right number of AB, then regardless of what MLB or what he would want, he would be leading the league in hitting. whether he cheated or not, he still accumulated the AVG. you can't take away those hits. \
if you try and say the numbers he had shouldn't count, then shouldn't you also say that the Giants wins in which he helped should noti cheated to get statistics, then he cheated to help the Giants win.
as far as I know, in the future whenever you look back at the leaderboard for the 2012 season in AVG, Melky Cabrera will be first. will there be/should there be some type of asterisk there?
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 4990
(Past Year: 517)
Joined: 21 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Melky Cabrera deemed ineligible for BA title

Postby Izenhart » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:42 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:I didn't know about the AB rule or having enough AB to qualify or whatever. but if he had the right number of AB, then regardless of what MLB or what he would want, he would be leading the league in hitting. whether he cheated or not, he still accumulated the AVG. you can't take away those hits. \
if you try and say the numbers he had shouldn't count, then shouldn't you also say that the Giants wins in which he helped should noti cheated to get statistics, then he cheated to help the Giants win.
as far as I know, in the future whenever you look back at the leaderboard for the 2012 season in AVG, Melky Cabrera will be first. will there be/should there be some type of asterisk there?


He won't be first, his name simply won't come up in a BA qualified search. He's no different than a guy who goes 1 for 1 and bats 1.000 who doesn't win the BA title.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1587
(Past Year: 532)
Joined: 22 Mar 2012
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Big Papiville

Re: Melky Cabrera deemed ineligible for BA title

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:28 pm

Izenhart wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:I didn't know about the AB rule or having enough AB to qualify or whatever. but if he had the right number of AB, then regardless of what MLB or what he would want, he would be leading the league in hitting. whether he cheated or not, he still accumulated the AVG. you can't take away those hits. \
if you try and say the numbers he had shouldn't count, then shouldn't you also say that the Giants wins in which he helped should noti cheated to get statistics, then he cheated to help the Giants win.
as far as I know, in the future whenever you look back at the leaderboard for the 2012 season in AVG, Melky Cabrera will be first. will there be/should there be some type of asterisk there?


He won't be first, his name simply won't come up in a BA qualified search. He's no different than a guy who goes 1 for 1 and bats 1.000 who doesn't win the BA title.


Ya, the rule change was that you can't add at bats for games that you missed due to suspension. He didn't have enough at bats to qualify and instead of just adding an 0 for 1 onto his stats like they normally would they left him unqualified. You can disagree with the changing of the rule, but nobody said the numbers don't count.
Image
25
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 14067
(Past Year: 851)
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: BUSTER HATH ARRIVED

Re: Melky Cabrera deemed ineligible for BA title

Postby SecretAgentMan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:03 pm

mweir145 wrote:Next we should take away the 2 WS titles from Boston. Manny was on those teams.



That works for me lol.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Response TeamFantasy Expert
Posts: 3374
(Past Year: 516)
Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Melky Cabrera deemed ineligible for BA title

Postby Ender » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:59 pm

Here is how it works. If you for example fall 10 AB short of qualifying for the battling title they assume you go 0 for 10 the rest of the year and if 0 for 10 still leaves you in the lead you win. Melky basically asked that since he was suspended and not just absent that he did not get the same consideration which seems fair to me. It is hard for me to spin this as a negative. If say Posey were going to win the triple crown if his AB didn't count or something I could see an issue but this just seems like him being a logical thinking human being.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7733
(Past Year: 451)
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: felixad60, footballisbetter.com, germani40, NikkiSixx, Ray Zorback, slink, Sticky Spice and 11 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Apr. 23
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Arizona at Chi Cubs
(12:10 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(2:20 pm)
Texas at Oakland
(3:10 pm)
Houston at Seattle
(3:35 pm)
Kansas City at Cleveland
(3:40 pm)
LA Angels at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Toronto at Toronto
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Baltimore at Baltimore
(7:07 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
NY Yankees at Boston
(7:10 pm)
St. Louis at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Minnesota at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
San Diego at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Philadelphia at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact