Illegal Transactions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Illegal Transactions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Illegal Transactions

Postby moasis » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:26 pm

How does everyone handle when a team commits numerous illegal transactions during the year. I am in an AL 5X5 $260 Roto League where Pitchers must remain active for two weeks. First we have had a team that when it comes to thre stretch run they have made illegal transactions in each of the past three years. Last year he had over 10 and were relegated to 4th place (which they ended up finishing anyway). So then again this year he has had 2 illegal transactions in August. Another team who has never made illegal transaction made 12 this year and was removed from the money. What do you do with the repeat offender? You like to give people the benefit of the doubt but three years in a row? I will be propiosing a penalty where you lose 1 point in the standings per illegal pitching transaction.
moasis
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Illegal Transactions

Postby fast dogs » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:37 pm

We reverse illegal transactions right after they happen.
Seems like theres more going on here that needs addressing, either the rules need to be altered so that teams can make transactions more readily, or owners need to be warned then removed if troubles persist.Hard to advise w/o knowing more but you certainly don't want illegal transactions happening over and over.
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 302)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:47 am

In my main league, which we run through Yahoo, there's a deep minor league system including many, many players not in the Yahoo database. Minors rosters are handled on a Proboards site, so you can own, say, Jurickson Profar, but if you don't call him up he's a FA in the player pool in Yahoo. It happens occasionally that someone will add an owned player, and when it does, I reverse it within the day. It's really not a big deal; there's no malice behind it, it's just an error.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby bigmck » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:08 am

You don't say what constitutes an illegal transaction, but something needs to be adjusted in your rules. If an illegal transaction happens, reverse it immediately and for example they do it more than three times, a certain amount is deducted from the most they can win. If they are going to hurt their winnings by doing illegal moves, things will clear up quickly.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Postby moasis » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:23 pm

We have Daily transactions for hitters but for pitchers they must remain active for two weeks before you can reserve them. So the repeat offender has sent a pitcher down to his reserves without waiting the two weeks. It happens during the stretch run every year when categories are tight and two strikeouts make a difference. Sometimes it is not caught right away so it is hard to retro the moves. The first year I gave him the benfit of the doubt and retro'ed as many moves as possible and he ended up tying for 2nd. Last year he had over 10 of those illegal tansactions and was relegated to 4th place. This year he only had two in August- but it does give him extra stats and based on his past I feel that the two illegal moves this year are not acceptable. The problem is that I am no longer the Commissioner. The current commissioner is doing nothing about it. This owner has been doing Roto with me for 20 yrs so he knows the rules.
moasis
T-Ball Trainer

Postby bigmck » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:47 pm

moasis wrote:We have Daily transactions for hitters but for pitchers they must remain active for two weeks before you can reserve them. So the repeat offender has sent a pitcher down to his reserves without waiting the two weeks. It happens during the stretch run every year when categories are tight and two strikeouts make a difference. Sometimes it is not caught right away so it is hard to retro the moves. The first year I gave him the benfit of the doubt and retro'ed as many moves as possible and he ended up tying for 2nd. Last year he had over 10 of those illegal tansactions and was relegated to 4th place. This year he only had two in August- but it does give him extra stats and based on his past I feel that the two illegal moves this year are not acceptable. The problem is that I am no longer the Commissioner. The current commissioner is doing nothing about it. This owner has been doing Roto with me for 20 yrs so he knows the rules.

Just because you don't catch the illegal move, does not matter. The date is recorded when the illegal move was made. Here is what I would do. Make a firm rule, if an illegal transaction is made, the stats are subtracted times 2 for the days the player was active illegally. Tell other Owners to help you police this. I am sure not many will be missed. No one will be too quick to make illegal moves if they are going to lose double stats. It shouldn't be that hard to keep track of.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Postby fast dogs » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:31 pm

most leagues pretty much run themselves once the season starts. you've chosen to play with rules where a commish is going to need to be on top of the rosters and should play for free or paid for all his extra work. not every commish is going to want to put in all the extra effort to police the day to day transactions. you either need to have a commish or commishs who are going to be able to keep up or your rules are going to be taken advantage of by members of the league. You can't have teams getting stats for more pitchers than everyone else; either change the rules for pitchers or change the "doing nothing about it" commish
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 302)

Return to Commissioner's Corner