MLB investigating Yunel Escobar eye black slur - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB investigating Yunel Escobar eye black slur

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: MLB investigating Yunel Escobar eye black slur

Postby J35J » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:22 pm

mweir145 wrote:
J35J wrote:Has he not been playing baseball in America for some 10 years or so? Whether or not this was a "cultural difference" or not, shouldn't he know by now that this type of thing would blow up...has he not learned this by now? This isn't some 17 year old rookie who just came over from Havana that really doesn't know better...

Having watched Yunel play and interact with the media for the last few years, it doesn't seem to me like he's integrated himself into this culture at all. He doesn't even attempt to speak English (or so it seems). Playing in a city like Toronto, with such a large Cuban population, also lets him stay in that bubble. I think he just really is that ignorant.

Could be.

I don't really care though, I think you all are fags too so this type of thing doesn't bother me at all.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chargerss24 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:03 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
chargerss24 wrote:The term "Faggot" or "Fag" is a pretty universal language I think.

wat?
Yeah, that's not universal language. That's English.
And he didn't write fag or faggot, he wrote maricon. So unless you grew up in Havana you don't know what that word means to him.
Having heard from people who actually know what they are talking about I am of the opinion that it was not as derogatory as the translation but that it still has homophobic underpinnings. I don't think that plays well at all in a city like Toronto and I think that Yunel has worn out his welcome here.

Perhaps I should have stated it's a pretty universal TERM. It's still a pretty awful word, just like the "N" word, no matter if Yunel wrote it in Maricon, English, Spanish, Dutch or Mandarin.

I think J35J makes a pretty valid point. Most of us on here know each other well enough that him calling us a bunch of fags isn't going to bother any of us. Had Yunel done this in a pick up game of baseball in Cuba amongt friends, probably no big deal, but doing this on the world stage in a world where everyone sees you and gets upset and offended easily, then he's going to get raked over the coals.
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby silverZ » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:29 am

There was no malicious intent on Escobar's part so I'm giving him a pass on this. Unfortunately for Escobar he picked the worst city in the MLB to make a weak attempt at a joke like this. If he was pulled this stunt 10 years ago in Cuba I'm sure he would have gotten a lot of laughs on the field. Hell if i saw a teammate of mine put "you're a fag" on his eye tape during a sunday night beer league game I would laugh at it. This type of banter goes on all the time between team mates. His sweet dumbass brain didn't figure out that pulling this in Toronto on international TV gets him burned at the stake by society. People are so politically correct these days.

I think the punishment fits the crime. On top of the suspension he'll be booed mercilessly by the broken heart middle class straight liberals that he offended in Toronto for the final homestand. I think the Alex Rios autograph incident a few years back was much worse than this. I boo Rios at every opportunity, I won't be booing Escobar at all. He is going to pay the price, not do it again, and move on.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Izenhart » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:19 am

silverZ wrote:I think the Alex Rios autograph incident a few years back was much worse than this.

I missed this one. Can anyone find a link on it, there's quite a few 'incidents' about him I see not signing autos. Was there one that was bad in particular?
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 294)

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:38 am

It was outside a charity event in Toronto after he went 0/5 with 5 Ks in the previous game. A little kid asked for his autograph and he ignored him and headed straight for his car. Another guy yelled "You should be lucky somebody wants your autograph, you stink" and then he yelled back "Who gives a ****?" and various other Chris Perez-esque phrases. Not that big a deal if you ask me. Maybe there's another one I'm not aware of.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:56 am

Skin Blues wrote:It was outside a charity event in Toronto after he went 0/5 with 5 Ks in the previous game. A little kid asked for his autograph and he ignored him and headed straight for his car. Another guy yelled "You should be lucky somebody wants your autograph, you stink" and then he yelled back "Who gives a ****?" and various other Chris Perez-esque phrases. Not that big a deal if you ask me. Maybe there's another one I'm not aware of.
It was all exacerbated by the fact that it was caught on YouTube. That's the only one I recall.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby ayebatter » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:26 pm

bigh0rt wrote: It was all exacerbated by the fact that it was caught on YouTube. That's the only one I recall.

That's an awful big word for the fags in here to understand. ;-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby mweir145 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:12 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:It was outside a charity event in Toronto after he went 0/5 with 5 Ks in the previous game. A little kid asked for his autograph and he ignored him and headed straight for his car. Another guy yelled "You should be lucky somebody wants your autograph, you stink" and then he yelled back "Who gives a ****?" and various other Chris Perez-esque phrases. Not that big a deal if you ask me. Maybe there's another one I'm not aware of.
It was all exacerbated by the fact that it was caught on YouTube. That's the only one I recall.

And the fact that he wasn't hitting well at the time (which, let's be honest, is really the only thing most people cared about).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:42 am

ayebatter wrote:
bigh0rt wrote: It was all exacerbated by the fact that it was caught on YouTube. That's the only one I recall.

Psh that's rich coming from you, Priscilla Queen Of The Desert :-b
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:15 am

ayebatter wrote:

Is it weird that I read all your posts in Clint Eastwood's voice?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers