MLB investigating Yunel Escobar eye black slur - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB investigating Yunel Escobar eye black slur

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: MLB investigating Yunel Escobar eye black slur

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:51 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/s ... -jays.html

3 games and he used the "not really a homophobic slur" excuse.

"I have close friends that are gay," he said, "my home decorator is gay, my hair stylist is gay and I have several friends that are gay. And they haven't felt offended about the situation. This is just a language misunderstanding."

lol
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chargerss24 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:53 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/story/2012/09/18/sp-mlb-yunel-escobar-suspension-toronto-blue-jays.html

"I have close friends that are gay," he said, "my home decorator is gay, my hair stylist is gay and I have several friends that are gay. And they haven't felt offended about the situation. This is just a language misunderstanding."

lol

I like for him to find me ONE person who misunderstands "You're a faggot". What a dope. :-t
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:32 pm

I'm surprised he only got 3 games. I was thinking something like 8-10 and wouldn't have been surprised if it was longer. I thought they would have cracked down hard.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:06 pm

silverZ wrote:I have no idea how none of the spanish speaking players managed not to say anything to him. Vizquel? Encarnacion?

GiantsFan14 wrote:From what I've heard there are multiple Spanish speaking coaches on the team as well. How does nobody notice it in the dugout?

Turns out there's a simple answer to this question, it's apparently acceptable and common in Latin American culture (and among Latin American ballplayers) to say that phrase. In fact, I wouldn't be all that surprised if it was a joke that they knew about. See the comments of Encarnacion, Vizquel and Ozzie: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/09/ ... obic-slur/
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:10 pm

chargerss24 wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/story/2012/09/18/sp-mlb-yunel-escobar-suspension-toronto-blue-jays.html

lol

I like for him to find me ONE person who misunderstands "You're a faggot". What a dope. :-t

It's a bit more complicated than that, it seems. Bit of a cultural disconnect here between what's appropriate in one culture and what's appropriate in another.

"Terms like maricón whose literal translation in a homosexual context is queer or fag on occasion may be used with underlying affection by heterosexuals in a way that North Americans never would, as in, for example, 'Tu eres tremendo maricón (You are a great queen)."

http://books.google.com/books?id=wv5Jq- ... 22&f=false
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:45 pm

mweir145 wrote:
chargerss24 wrote:

lol

It's a bit more complicated than that, it seems. Bit of a cultural disconnect here between what's appropriate in one culture and what's appropriate in another.

"Terms like maricón whose literal translation in a homosexual context is queer or fag on occasion may be used with underlying affection by heterosexuals in a way that North Americans never would, as in, for example, 'Tu eres tremendo maricón (You are a great queen)."

Spin it however you want. My girlfriend's from Puerto Rico and it means exactly what it translates to, is used in the same way, and has the same derogatory connotation. It would be viewed the same exact way had he had 'You're a Fag' on the eye black. Yes, his inner circle of friends might have said, hey, lighten up, that's not the way we use the word, but the reality is that's what it means.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby chargerss24 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:02 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
chargerss24 wrote:

Spin it however you want. My girlfriend's from Puerto Rico and it means exactly what it translates to, is used in the same way, and has the same derogatory connotation. It would be viewed the same exact way had he had 'You're a Fag' on the eye black. Yes, his inner circle of friends might have said, hey, lighten up, that's not the way we use the word, but the reality is that's what it means.

The term "Faggot" or "Fag" is a pretty universal language I think. Just like the middle finger. What's the first thing one thinks of when the word is uttered, "homosexual" or "great queen"? :-S
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis

chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:08 pm

I'm not "spinning it any way that I want." I don't think Yunel should have done what he did (whether it was he that actually wrote that, he did carelessly wear it in public). But it's quite clear from everything that I've read/heard about this that the meaning of that particular phrase for Cubans/Latin American depends significantly on context. Guys like Vizquel, Encarnacion, Ozzie and the seemingly oblivious Yunel Escobar don't apparently view it the same way we do.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby kab21 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:15 pm

It's not surprising that Mr blue jay is trying to spin this. this is nothing different than an idiot calling someone a homo, nigga, jew or any of the derogatory slurs. This isn't a translation issue. It's an immaturity issue and most people grew out of that by age 20 (hopefully) regardless of their language. It really isn't funny.

I apologize for using the idiot slur but he is.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby chargerss24 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:26 pm

kab21 wrote: It's an immaturity issue and most people grew out of that by age 20 (hopefully) regardless of their language. It really isn't funny.

You hit the nail on the head.
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis