MLB investigating Yunel Escobar eye black slur - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB investigating Yunel Escobar eye black slur

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

MLB investigating Yunel Escobar eye black slur

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:11 pm

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/83930 ... -eye-black

Major League Baseball is investigating reports that Toronto Blue Jays shortstop Yunel Escobar wore eye black depicting a gay slur written in Spanish, a league spokesperson told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick.

At least one photo taken by Getty Images shows Escobar wearing the eye black with the slur during Saturday's game against the Boston Red Sox.

Getty Images confirmed the photo's authenticity to ESPN.com's Keith Law.

One of Escobar's agents declined to comment when reached by Crasnick on Monday.

Escobar, 29, played the entire game Saturday but was scratched from the lineup Sunday due to flu-like symptoms.

also this article.
http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/201 ... bud-selig/
Blue Jays shortstop Yunel Escobar decided to stir things up a bit on Saturday afternoon against the Red Sox by inexplicably sporting eye black that read “TU ERE MARICON,” which basically translates to “you’re a faggot” in English. What a swell guy.

Whatever his intention was here — and I can’t wait to hear Escobar’s thoughtful explanation — it’s neither amusing nor appropriate, it’s just asinine.

I’m guessing Escobar would have been fined by MLB had his eye black simply read “AUSTIN 3:16,” so it’s probably safe to assume a sitdown with Bird Selig and friends is imminent.

with this picture.

you can clearly see "TU ERE MERICON"
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 512)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: MLB investigating Yunel Escobar eye black slur

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:53 pm

from rotoworld
The Blue Jays released a statement Monday regarding Yunel Escobar, who displayed a homophobic slur written in Spanish on his eye black during Saturday's game.
"The Toronto Blue Jays do not support discrimination of any kind nor condone the message displayed by Yunel Escobar during Saturday’s game. The club takes this situation seriously and is investigating the matter." Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos will address the media in New York on Tuesday and is expected to be joined by Escobar, manager John Farrell and coaching assistant Luis Rivera. MLB is also investigating the matter.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 512)

Postby Izenhart » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:11 am

I don't think any explanation will help him save face, pun intended. He looks like a tool no matter what, even if it was "Oh I lost a bet" or something that deflects either his knowledge that someone did it to him without knowing or a choice he made to dawn it for whatever reason. Just bad, bad bad. :-t
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 529)

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:07 am

This guy is an ass. The explanation should be interesting, very odd thing to do. I did laugh initially though when I first saw the picture.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 68)

Postby silverZ » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:28 pm

I expect to see this when I play Battlefield 3 online, not when I'm watching baseball. I'm interested to see how he tries to explain himself. I assume it was a stupid prank made in bad taste. Imagine if it was in English. How long would that have lasted on his face if it said "you're a faggot"? I have no idea how none of the spanish speaking players managed not to say anything to him. Vizquel? Encarnacion?

The only positive to come from this is that it will raise awareness and has already started a ton of conversations about homophobia in sports.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 40)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:48 pm

silverZ wrote:I expect to see this when I play Battlefield 3 online, not when I'm watching baseball. I'm interested to see how he tries to explain himself. I assume it was a stupid prank made in bad taste. Imagine if it was in English. How long would that have lasted on his face if it said "you're a faggot"? I have no idea how none of the spanish speaking players managed not to say anything to him. Vizquel? Encarnacion?

The only positive to come from this is that it will raise awareness and has already started a ton of conversations about homophobia in sports.

From what I've heard there are multiple Spanish speaking coaches on the team as well. How does nobody notice it in the dugout?
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 810)

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:56 pm

Some people's kids ...
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:28 pm

These are peel off stickers and the speculation is that the explanation is that someone else wrote them on as a prank, Yunel did not notice them and that it's not really a homophobic slur in any event. AA may be stand up about it though and it's time to pick up Adeiny Hechavarria in all your dynasty leagues. Yunel has worn out his welcome in another MLB city.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby Izenhart » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:44 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:These are peel off stickers and the speculation is that the explanation is that someone else wrote them on as a prank, Yunel did not notice them and that it's not really a homophobic slur in any event. AA may be stand up about it though and it's time to pick up Adeiny Hechavarria in all your dynasty leagues. Yunel has worn out his welcome in another MLB city.

Ya, I use black label stickers at work to cover typos, if I were to come across one that said 'you're a faggot' I'm sure I wouldn't even notice and just stick them on my face.

Sorry, don't buy it.

I know who could straighten this all out. Where's Billy Ripken when you need him? :-D
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 529)

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:16 pm

Ah, the infamous knob of the bat. hahaha. I think there were like 10 variations of that card.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 526)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers