A new kind of fantasy baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Classifieds

A new kind of fantasy baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby guszz » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:27 pm

I have an idea for a new kind of fantasy baseball, and I am wondering what people here think of this idea. Please note that this is just an idea now and the rules I provide here are very general.

Here is how this would work:
  • Everyone who plays is in one "league". There are no separate leagues. Players can be on more than one team at a time, there is no limit in that regard.
  • The basic goal is to build the best team possible while spending the least on the players.
  • Everyone has one team that is capped at a certain amount of players. Players, once the season starts, can not be swapped out, except maybe during specific "trade" periods during the season.
  • The players all have a specific price associated with them that may reflect either the real life salary of the players, or how well the players are predicted to do (I haven't decided yet)
  • How well a team does is determined by how many runs the team as a whole would score if they were on a team together, and how well pitchers do. There are multiple ways to figure this out, and I'm not sure how this would be done. I think it would be cool if you could pick your lineup then have players and baserunners act as if they were actually on the same team.
  • There are certain awards that users/teams compete for. Some examples: best team of the season with a salary under $60 million (or best team of the day, week, month), cheapest team to get to the playoffs, most efficient team (could be calculated by wins/salary). These are just some basic examples. There could obviously be tons more. There could also be big cash prizes for certain awards or something, I don't know.

Obviously there would be an issue with people making the exact same team, but that could be dealt with in a few different ways if it becomes an issue.

So, how does this sound? I think it would be fun because you would be competing with so many people, and because making a cheap team is fun. But I really want to hear what other people think. Do you think a lot of people would want to play this?
guszz
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: A new kind of fantasy baseball

Postby prguy1979 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:10 pm

Lets say a Team 1 spends $260 on players scores 120pts and Team 2 who spend $200 on players scores 110pts. Who would win in this case? Team 1 spent more and scores more than Team 2 yet your saying the goal is to score the most while spending the least. Would you use some sort of equation that gives you the total number of pts per $$$ spent?
16 team mix BA R RBI BB SB SLG ERA W K HD S Whip
C /Castro
1/3/CI Donaldson/Wright/Votto
2/SS/MI
OF Jones/Brantly/Trout
DH
P Sale/Wanwrigth/Wheeler
prguy1979
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Re: A new kind of fantasy baseball

Postby guszz » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:57 pm

prguy1979 wrote:Lets say a Team 1 spends $260 on players scores 120pts and Team 2 who spend $200 on players scores 110pts. Who would win in this case? Team 1 spent more and scores more than Team 2 yet your saying the goal is to score the most while spending the least. Would you use some sort of equation that gives you the total number of pts per $$$ spent?

Well, maybe, it depends. Team 1 could win a certain award titled "best team for under $300", while team 2 could win the "points per $ spent" award.

There could be multiple awards like that, or their could be just one main thing everyone competes for. Another option is the max payroll of a team could be capped at $60 million for everyone, and everyone would just try to make the best team possible with that salary. There could be different sections, like best team capped at $60 M, best team capped at $100 M, and best team capped at $200 M. There are a lot of different possible ways to play, and I'm not sure which way I would do it yet.

The fun part about this is that it lets you strategize like a real-life manager.
guszz
T-Ball Trainer

Postby colby2152 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:43 am

This is simply a salary-style league. You can run these at ProFSL.com with up to 32 teams.
ProFSL.com
colby2152
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Classifieds