Missed Playoffs... Thanks, Yahoo - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Missed Playoffs... Thanks, Yahoo

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Missed Playoffs... Thanks, Yahoo

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:04 pm

So I was just educated this morning on the way that Yahoo applies stat corrections in H2H leagues. Instead of applying the stat corrections as they come in, or the morning after games are played (or corrections come in), Yahoo applies stat corrections from the entire previous week all at once on Monday morning. The only way you'd ever know this would be to look at the tiny little fine-print at the bottom of your team page, which nobody does.

So how did it cost me a playoff spot? There were 3 teams within 1/2 point of each other for the last two playoff spots in my AL only league. One of the other teams, thinking they had won the ER category (stupid scoring system in this league), benched all his SP. But it turns out that an ER stat correction from LAST MONDAY was applied this morning, and the chain of events that ensued resulted in me waking up this morning to see that I was not in the playoff bracket. If the stat correction was applied when it came in, the other owner would have definitely made a different decision with his lineup and I'd have made the playoffs.

I am not bitter about missing the playoffs due to a stat correction, or the fact that Yahoo gets their data/corrections from an outside source that can be slow, but I am pissed that teams can and do make lineup decisions that will affect matchups (and ultimately who makes the playoffs) based on lack of readily available information because Yahoo doesn't apply them when the data is in their hands. It makes absolutely no sense, especially since I'd guess that virtually zero owners have a clue about this stupidity (given that it is barely advertised).

I'm doubly bitter about the situation because I fought back from quite a ways back to reconstruct my roster and get into playoff contention and I think I had a fair shot to go deep.

:-o %-6 :-P :-C :-t :~(
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 20)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Missed Playoffs... Thanks, Yahoo

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:36 pm

Yeah, that really sucks. I've used Yahoo for years and I had no idea they did stat corrections in batches instead of the day after. It really doesn't make intuitive sense to do it that way. HOWEVER, and Genie, you can back me up on this or not, I'm guessing there is a logical reason to do it this way and not, you know, sheer incompetence.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 99)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:21 pm

There have been a few different threads addressing this matter. Maris is usually the guy who is inquiring about stat corrections, situations like this, so on and so forth. The short answer is, "Sorry."
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 820)

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:43 pm

bigh0rt wrote:There have been a few different threads addressing this matter. Maris is usually the guy who is inquiring about stat corrections, situations like this, so on and so forth. The short answer is, "Sorry."

Yeah, more like "Sorry you got screwed out of a playoff spot and a chance to win a trophy, some cash, and bragging rights over your friends."

I looked for other threads and only saw one about corrections coming in after the H2H period was over. I have no problem with a correction to yesterday's games not coming in until today being ignored, but it's the ones that do come in on time that Yahoo chooses not to apply that makes no sense. If nothing else, there should be a big giant yellow banner saying "Warning!!! Your matchup has a stat change that might affect its outcome!!'"

Sigh...
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:46 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:There have been a few different threads addressing this matter. Maris is usually the guy who is inquiring about stat corrections, situations like this, so on and so forth. The short answer is, "Sorry."

Yeah, more like "Sorry you got screwed out of a playoff spot and a chance to win a trophy, some cash, and bragging rights over your friends."

I looked for other threads and only saw one about corrections coming in after the H2H period was over. I have no problem with a correction to yesterday's games not coming in until today being ignored, but it's the ones that do come in on time that Yahoo chooses not to apply that makes no sense. If nothing else, there should be a big giant yellow banner saying "Warning!!! Your matchup has a stat change that might affect its outcome!!'"

Sigh...
I don't play on Y! so I can't speak one way or another, but I want to say Maris has spoken to there being some indicator about stat corrections? Maybe it was the after the fact ones you noted.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 820)

Postby Maris09 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:58 pm

bigh0rt wrote:The short answer is, "Sorry."

Yep.

Hate to say it, but doesn't seem like there's really any chance of anything changing with this process.
I feel your pain Bloody Sox, as the stat correction process has cost me multiple weekly matchups in the past, and one where I missed the playoffs by a half game as well.
I've given up on posting about it though. It always just ends with me having a less than optimal friendliness bar :-D
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 30)

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:44 pm

Maris09 wrote:

Yep.

Hate to say it, but doesn't seem like there's really any chance of anything changing with this process.
I feel your pain Bloody Sox, as the stat correction process has cost me multiple weekly matchups in the past, and one where I missed the playoffs by a half game as well.
I've given up on posting about it though. It always just ends with me having a less than optimal friendliness bar :-D

Did Genie ever give a reason for why they wouldn't apply stat corrections when they were received (or the morning after they were received)? I don't see how it is any more or less fair to anyone to just apply the stat corrections as they are received, even if they come in days later. If they come in too late, then oh well - that's too bad (and I could live with that). But when teams are ignorantly setting their lineup based on invalid information, then there is a serious problem. I generally like the Yahoo black-and-white approach to applying their rules to minimize loopholes and slippery slopes, but it simply doesn't apply here, and it legitimately can (and in my case did) screw people.
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Maris09 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:16 am

Bloody Sox wrote:
Maris09 wrote:

Yep.

Did Genie ever give a reason for why they wouldn't apply stat corrections when they were received (or the morning after they were received)? I don't see how it is any more or less fair to anyone to just apply the stat corrections as they are received, even if they come in days later. If they come in too late, then oh well - that's too bad (and I could live with that). But when teams are ignorantly setting their lineup based on invalid information, then there is a serious problem. I generally like the Yahoo black-and-white approach to applying their rules to minimize loopholes and slippery slopes, but it simply doesn't apply here, and it legitimately can (and in my case did) screw people.

I'm guessing maybe the stat provider only gives Yahoo the stat corrections once a week on Sunday nights, so it might be out of their control (aside from getting a new stat provider).
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:32 am

Maris09 wrote:I'm guessing maybe the stat provider only gives Yahoo the stat corrections once a week on Sunday nights, so it might be out of their control (aside from getting a new stat provider).

Nope - this is definitely NOT true. If I click on that link at the bottom of my team page right now, there are stat corrections from this past Monday's game listed right now.
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Maris09 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:23 am

Ya I dunno man, like I said I gave up on this a while ago.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Baseball Leftovers