Strategy on starting opposing pitchers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategy on starting opposing pitchers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strategy on starting opposing pitchers

Postby ROC AllStars » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:04 pm

Does anyone have a strategy they follow on starting opposing pitchers in different scoring systems? Obviously in root and H2H formats there isn't really any issue, but what about points leagues? A win gives you a huge bump in points, and if your league limits starts, starting opposing pitchers can really limit your potential. But I really hate to choose. Thoughts?
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Strategy on starting opposing pitchers

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:06 pm

ROC AllStars wrote:Does anyone have a strategy they follow on starting opposing pitchers in different scoring systems? Obviously in root and H2H formats there isn't really any issue, but what about points leagues? A win gives you a huge bump in points, and if your league limits starts, starting opposing pitchers can really limit your potential. But I really hate to choose. Thoughts?
I've had this in my points league a few times this year. The answer is it really depends on a number of things, including if you have a start/IP limit, and what sort of points a 'bad' start might net you. If you can put up a negative score without really getting shelled, then I'd be more hesitant. Otherwise, if there's no limit, start 'em all. My H2H League has a 10 start limit, so unless I've got two real solid arms facing each other or no other available options to get me to my 10 on the week, I start whoever has the more favorable matchup and/or is favored, in hopes of getting a W to go with the rest of the accrued points.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:17 pm

Micromanaging like this over the long haul can only hurt you unless you do the equivalent of winning the lottery odds-wise. You just start the guys with the best expected value, not the best maximum possible value. An exception is if you are near the end of a matchup and absolutely need two wins, and have 3 pitchers going, with two against each other. If you have one-week H2H matchups with limited starts, or right at the end of a 2 week playoff matchup or something then this could come into play when ERA/WHIP/Ks aren't up for grabs but W are close, but in roto it is most likely never going to be a factor. In H2H points leagues, the same thing... take the highest expected value, until right at the end if you absolutely need the extra points from 2 or 3 wins. In total season points leagues, it's not a factor pretty much until the very end of the season when you'll know if you absolutely need that extra win.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 134)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:12 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Micromanaging like this over the long haul can only hurt you unless you do the equivalent of winning the lottery odds-wise. You just start the guys with the best expected value, not the best maximum possible value. An exception is if you are near the end of a matchup and absolutely need two wins, and have 3 pitchers going, with two against each other. If you have one-week H2H matchups with limited starts, or right at the end of a 2 week playoff matchup or something then this could come into play when ERA/WHIP/Ks aren't up for grabs but W are close, but in roto it is most likely never going to be a factor. In H2H points leagues, the same thing... take the highest expected value, until right at the end if you absolutely need the extra points from 2 or 3 wins. In total season points leagues, it's not a factor pretty much until the very end of the season when you'll know if you absolutely need that extra win.

In category leagues I'm with you, but in H2H Pts its really dependant on the point value of Wins and Losses, and reasonable expectation of points in a no decision. If one pitcher is at a distinct disadvantage to pick up a L and there's a big diff in a ND and a L, as is the case in some leagues I've seen, you can be a little pickier without feeling burned if it doesn't pan out. This is, of course, only if you're limited on weekly starts for SP. if there's no limit, start em all. Otherwise its almost entirely dependant on the value of both Wins and Losses and weighing the risk and likelihood of each. A solid league will be set up in such a way where this doesn't come into play, at least as a major contributor.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:24 pm

Yeah to be honest I only play roto leagues anyway, but in general I find far too much micromanaging going on with regards to pitchers facing each other, or in fantasy hockey having two goalies facing each other. Sometimes it works out and you get two wins, but you could just as easily end up with two losses esepcially if the expected point value is lowered by using an inferior pitcher.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 134)

Postby Izenhart » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:38 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Yeah to be honest I only play roto leagues anyway, but in general I find far too much micromanaging going on with regards to pitchers facing each other, or in fantasy hockey having two goalies facing each other. Sometimes it works out and you get two wins, but you could just as easily end up with two losses esepcially if the expected point value is lowered by using an inferior pitcher.

I agree with Skin, start em both. A few weeks ago I was debating on benching Darvish because he was facing someone else on my team, I forget who. I ended up starting both and Darvish picks up the W of course, in a 1-0 game. That's probably best case scenerio but unless I'm specifically chasing wins and only wins, I'm keeping both in.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 294)

Return to Baseball Leftovers