HR wants to meet with me, why? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

HR wants to meet with me, why?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

HR wants to meet with me, why?

Postby Fantasy GM » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:27 pm

I have worked at a large, corporate-type company for a little over a year. Things are going very well, my bosses like the work I've been doing, etc. After another solid day of work, I come home, open my email and learn that I have a meeting with Employee Relations later this week. I called the Employee Relations guy who sent me the e-mail. He said it's nothing I need to worry about, but that we need to meet. He kept the details confidential.

What's going on here? I know I behave very professionally at work (my evaluations say the same thing). I'm talkative, but I don't say anything dumb, don't do anything stupid and don't touch girls outside of a handshake. I focus on my work during my shift. It's been uneventful lately, no dramas or problems.

My fear is someone (a girl?) lied and told Employee Relations I did something that I obviously didn't do. It doesn't appear that my job is at risk, but I also don't like getting emails from Employee Relations.
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: HR wants to meet with me, why?

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:41 pm

It may literally be nothing to worry about. Which is exactly what the ER person said to you.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)

Postby Fantasy GM » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:52 pm

bigh0rt wrote:It may literally be nothing to worry about. Which is exactly what the ER person said to you.

True. But because I'm a young adult and have never been in a situation like this, I'm preparing for the worst. It's a large company with hundreds of other young adults. I don't think Employee Relations invited me over to shoot the breeze. All I know is I have done nothing wrong.
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:47 pm

Fantasy GM wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:It may literally be nothing to worry about. Which is exactly what the ER person said to you.

True. But because I'm a young adult and have never been in a situation like this, I'm preparing for the worst. It's a large company with hundreds of other young adults. I don't think Employee Relations invited me over to shoot the breeze. All I know is I have done nothing wrong.
Then there's nothing to worry about. May be a paperwork issue, clerical clarification they can't do over the phone/e-mail, health benefits, or any other number of things. In my experience in dealing with HR, when they say it's nothing to worry about, it's not.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Fantasy GM » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:20 pm

Sorry about the confusion - HR and Employee Relations might be different departments. I've meet with my HR on basic topics - health benefits, sweeping changes in the company, etc. This is my first time dealing with employee relations. Employee Relations I figure deals with co-workers. The guy saying I shouldn't worry is a plus, although it was clear he was trying to give away as little as possible - he wasn't bold. My only guesses:
- One of my good friends has been out of work for a majority of his shifts the past couple of weeks dealing with a personal family issue. Our superiors know we are friends so I'm the guy they'll go to.
- It's something minor and unrelated.
- The one I hope isn't true: theoretically, a girl lies to ER and I'm being questioned/investigated as a result.
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:21 am

bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ayebatter » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:10 am

Re: How to deal with the work b****?

ayebatter wrote:The nerve of you, noticing her snub then acknowledging it, this isn't over and she's in control

:^

Mookie4ever wrote:Let it slip that you are gay. All chicks want to be friends with the gay guy.

This could have caused your problem O:-)

lastingsgriller wrote:seduce her.

or this ;-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1275)

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:42 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Image

Speaking of conspiracy theories...I'm nearly certain that Fantasy GM is none other than our old friend DaQ. Let's take a look at the timeline, shall we?
- April 29, 2009 DaQ's last post on the forum is made.
- May 3, 2009 A new member, Fantasy GM, posts for the first time.
- May 16, 2012 all of the comments made by DaQ in General Talk threads of a personal nature started by DaQ are edited out.

Since that time, Fantasy GM--if that is his real name--starts a number of threads in General Talk, including the breathtaking "Was my judge in the wrong?" the memorable "Most bizarre working predicament you've had?" the ever-popular "Work slump? Need some advice from the pros," the somewhat frightening "How do I get my coworker fired? and "How to deal with the work b****?" These were all leading up to this most recent effort, "HR wants to meet with me, why?" The first post in each of these threads is done in the exact same style as DaQ's patented posts, including but not limited to: long, rambling paragraphs, a lot of smileys, and use of italics, bold lettering, underlining, and, in some extreme cases, underlined bold. It should be noted as well that in some of these threads, multiple users remarked on the resemblance to the topic at hand to old DaQ threads.

Now, not to go all Freud on the forum, but almost every one of these deals with themes of inadequacy, fears of not being accepted, and a general sense of not knowing what to do or how to best react to what most would consider and everyday event. These are the same themes explored in many of DaQ's threads.

In my opinion, there are two, and only two options:
1. DaQ and Fantasy GM are brothers who, having grown up in a home with an overbearing father and subservient mother, have a deep-seeded fear of the unknown and of not reacting properly to every circumstance presented, as well as feelings of inadequacy that have been difficult to overcome. Or...
2. Fantasy GM is DaQ. Having effectively "killed off" DaQ upon his graduation from college to the working world, he needed a new forum personality, a new character, if you will, to present the concerns and feelings that he has about corporate America to the group for approval and/or discussion.

Occams' Razor being what it is, I find option No. 2 to be the most likely.

All of that having been said, I'd like to speak directly to Fantasy GM/DaQ for a moment:
Fantasy GM/DaQ,
There is no need to hide behind two usernames. You are among friends here. Bring back DaQ. Also, quit stressing out so much about relatively minor things. It will kill you before your time.
Love,
Arty Vans
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Fantasy GM » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:48 pm

This thread took a turn for the weird. Impressed with your daq theory, but no we're not the same nor do I know of this daq. Sorry. I read a thread of his after I first learned how strange he was - I'm never getting to that level. Wow.
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:23 pm

Shhhhh...you're in a safe place now. You can be yourself here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtkST5-ZFHw
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk