Manny Machado vs. Jurikson Profar - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Manny Machado vs. Jurikson Profar

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Manny Machado vs. Jurikson Profar

Postby TheGhost » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:50 pm

I play in a 10 team yahoo keeper league. We keep six, H2H, 5x5. I have 3 shortstops and only want to keep 2. I have Starlin Castro as a 15th round keeper. I have Machado and Profar both as 24th round keepers. Which 2 of these 3 SS's should I keep? Thanks!
TheGhost
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 149)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Manny Machado vs. Jurikson Profar

Postby ayebatter » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:15 pm

Castro / Profar
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1638)

Postby paperstacks1980 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:03 pm

profar
paperstacks1980
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheGhost » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:54 pm

Would anyone take Billy Hamilton over Profar?
TheGhost
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby SoCal87 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:52 am

I would actually go with Manny Machado right now. He has a clear path to playing time next season and will also have eligibility at 3B which ups his value. The problem I see with Profar is where is he going to play?

Kinsler is locked in at 2B, Andrus at SS and Beltre at 3B. You could be in a situation where you keep Profar and he's stuck in a bench role until a spot opens up for the guy to get regular at bats, basically wasting one of your keeper choices. Just something to think about.
SoCal87
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby TheGhost » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:36 pm

SoCal87 wrote:I would actually go with Manny Machado right now. He has a clear path to playing time next season and will also have eligibility at 3B which ups his value. The problem I see with Profar is where is he going to play?

Kinsler is locked in at 2B, Andrus at SS and Beltre at 3B. You could be in a situation where you keep Profar and he's stuck in a bench role until a spot opens up for the guy to get regular at bats, basically wasting one of your keeper choices. Just something to think about.

I hear you and appreciate that kind of insight. I was thinking along the same lines and then I read this in the Sporting News:

Now, that is all fine and dandy and pretty special for Profar, but here is what it likely means for the Rangers long-term: They are going to make Profar an everyday big leaguer starting next season or else they would have waited to call him up next May or June as a way to halt his major league clock and ensure he couldn’t become arbitration eligible until after 2016. For the Rangers, a team run as well as any recently, to bring up Profar and just use him as a bench player means they have bigger plans for him next year.

Josh Hamilton is a free agent after this season and Nelson Cruz can become one after next season, opening up two outfield spots. This affects Profar’s future even though he is a middle infielder. If the Rangers decide they won’t re-sign either player, or even just one, that could mean they will move Kinsler to the outfield and go with Andrus at short and Profar at second.

After reading this does that make a difference in your preference for Machado? Cheers!! ;-D
TheGhost
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby SoCal87 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:01 am

TheGhost wrote:
SoCal87 wrote:I would actually go with Manny Machado right now. He has a clear path to playing time next season and will also have eligibility at 3B which ups his value. The problem I see with Profar is where is he going to play?

I hear you and appreciate that kind of insight. I was thinking along the same lines and then I read this in the Sporting News:

Now, that is all fine and dandy and pretty special for Profar, but here is what it likely means for the Rangers long-term: They are going to make Profar an everyday big leaguer starting next season or else they would have waited to call him up next May or June as a way to halt his major league clock and ensure he couldn’t become arbitration eligible until after 2016. For the Rangers, a team run as well as any recently, to bring up Profar and just use him as a bench player means they have bigger plans for him next year.

Josh Hamilton is a free agent after this season and Nelson Cruz can become one after next season, opening up two outfield spots. This affects Profar’s future even though he is a middle infielder. If the Rangers decide they won’t re-sign either player, or even just one, that could mean they will move Kinsler to the outfield and go with Andrus at short and Profar at second.

After reading this does that make a difference in your preference for Machado? Cheers!! ;-D

No not really, I think that's going a little out there. I don't see them moving Kinsler to the OF next season, opening up a spot at 2B for Profar to play at everyday. I think next off season they'll let Hamilton walk and then sign a FA OF. Just makes much more sense to me to let Hamilton walk (too much $$$ to commit to a guy with history of health/personal problems), pick up an OF and go after SP.

I think in keeper leagues you have to go with the most solid players you have (though age does play a factor sometimes, I would go with the unproven guy with upside over the aging vet). If it's one of those leagues where you could keep 8+ or something then yea nothing wrong with taking a chance on a guy, but when it's only 6, I don't think you should risk it. Profar is a talent no doubt, but that talent is going to do you no good if he's not playing everyday. So right now you're telling me Machado or Profar, give me Manny.
SoCal87
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ratking20 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:46 am

i like profar better than manchado. i agree that he might not see everyday at bats to start next season. but i think he will force his way into the line-up at some point. and imagine he was hitting in that lineup. im taking the chance on him in my league with the 8th keeper spot. 6th is tough. but if it has to be between those 2 i like profar. hopefully we get to see alot more of him this month
ratking20
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 88)

Postby Element » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:31 pm

ayebatter wrote:Castro / Profar

;-D ;-D ;-D
Element
General Manager
General Manager