Roger Clemens possible comeback?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Roger Clemens possible comeback??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Roger Clemens possible comeback??

Postby Izenhart » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:23 pm

This has to be a long long LONG shot, but I just read this on MLBtraderumors.com:

The Astros plan to scout Roger Clemens' upcoming start for the independent league Sugar Land Skeeters on September 7th, General Manager Jeff Luhnow told Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (story by Danny Knobler). Knobler writes that the strong speculation in baseball is that if Clemens pitches well, he will then pitch for the Astros five days later, on September 12 versus the Cubs.

The 50-year-old hurler last pitched in the majors in 2007 for the Yankees and can likely delay his Hall of Fame eligibility for another five years if he returns to the big leagues with Houston. While the Astros have been linked to Clemens recently, the Rangers and Royals are reportedly not interested in his services.

I don't see this happening, but if it does I have to ask the question WHY?
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 299)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Roger Clemens possible comeback??

Postby jorgesca » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:26 pm

I read somewhere that his fastball was topping at 80 MPH. I can't see it if that is true.
jorgesca
College Coach
College Coach

Postby chargerss24 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:54 pm

The Brett Favre of baseball. :-t
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 43)

Postby jfg » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:11 pm

Izenhart wrote:
The 50-year-old hurler last pitched in the majors in 2007 for the Yankees and can likely delay his Hall of Fame eligibility for another five years if he returns to the big leagues with Houston.

That's why. No chance he gets in first ballot unless he pushes his eligibility back. All he needs to do is get on the roster.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)

Postby BChinly » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:10 pm

jorgesca wrote:I read somewhere that his fastball was topping at 80 MPH. I can't see it if that is true.

Clemens pitched 3.1 scoreless innings for Sugar Land on Saturday, allowing just one hit, with his fastball topping out at 88 miles per hour. Clemens is thought to be eying a return to the majors, with Houston Astros owner Jim Crane leaving the door open on a possible contract.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... z255cS9YFb

Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... -1.1148498
BChinly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 116)

Postby jorgesca » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:11 am

[quote]Clemens pitched 3.1 scoreless innings for Sugar Land on Saturday, allowing just one hit, with his fastball topping out at 88 miles per hour. Clemens is thought to be eying a return to the majors, with Houston Astros owner Jim Crane leaving the door open on a possible contract.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... z255cS9YFb[/quote]

Wow, at 88 MPH on his first game I could really see the Astros giving him a shot, not for anything other than sales of course. A lot of pitchers survive with 88 MPH fastballs, not that I think he would be anything special at this point. sort of like a worse J. Moyer because he used to be a power pitcher.
jorgesca
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Izenhart » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:39 am

jorgesca wrote:
Clemens pitched 3.1 scoreless innings for Sugar Land on Saturday, allowing just one hit, with his fastball topping out at 88 miles per hour. Clemens is thought to be eying a return to the majors, with Houston Astros owner Jim Crane leaving the door open on a possible contract.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... z255cS9YFb

Wow, at 88 MPH on his first game I could really see the Astros giving him a shot, not for anything other than sales of course. A lot of pitchers survive with 88 MPH fastballs, not that I think he would be anything special at this point. sort of like a worse J. Moyer because he used to be a power pitcher.

I wouldn't doubt his ability to get players out. Steriods or not the guy is a freak of nature.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:25 pm

I think this would be a good move. seems the Astros are interested. they have nothing to lose. Clemens could come and be something for fans to come watch. I wouldn't expect good numbers, but I don't think that matters. more importantly he pushes back his HOF clock by 5 years, which is a good thing. further away from current voters the better.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 91)

Postby Izenhart » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:16 pm

Clemens is saying he wants to pitch against a contender, and I think the Astros may grant his wish. Just a gut feeling. The buzz created from all of this has been surprisingly positive and both the 'Stros and the Rocket could use some positive media. I say it's a win/win no matter what and am optimistic this is actually going to happen.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers