FAABing DL players - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

FAABing DL players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

FAABing DL players

Postby threazy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:40 am

Hey all - I'm looking for some learned input. I play in a plain-old standard 4x4 NL Rotisserie League. This trade that sent Carl Crawford to the Dodgers has raised a very interesting situation that is not explicitly addressed by any rules I've been able to find. Can you FAAB a player that's on the DL?

The argument FOR is that you draft a DL'd player on Draft Day, and the rules say you can FAAB a player traded from the "other major league". It also says that the free agent pool consists of those player on active major league rosters that are not drafted on draft day.

And other argument or thoughts one way or another?

Thanks - Bill
threazy
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: FAABing DL players

Postby mkultra » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:26 pm

Of course you can. What's important is that he's on the team's roster. Being on the DL shouldn't have anything to do with it. ;-D
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby threazy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:06 pm

mkultra wrote:Of course you can. What's important is that he's on the team's roster. Being on the DL shouldn't have anything to do with it. ;-D

Thanks, mk - I appreciate the input. Can you cite any Rotisserie rules to back this up? (I'm new to this forum, so I don't know your credentials :-) )
threazy
T-Ball Trainer

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:27 am

threazy wrote:
mkultra wrote:Of course you can. What's important is that he's on the team's roster. Being on the DL shouldn't have anything to do with it. ;-D

Thanks, mk - I appreciate the input. Can you cite any Rotisserie rules to back this up? (I'm new to this forum, so I don't know your credentials :-) )

Rules vary league to league. That's why most serious leagues have a Constitution.

In any case, most leagues also fall under "whatever is not forbidden is allowed" maxim. That is to say, you don't need an explicit rule to do something, something like "You may trade with other teams." If you CAN'T do something, that's where rules come into play, such as "you cannot trade with teams past a certain date." Make sense?
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 48)

Postby threazy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:35 am

>Rules vary league to league. That's why most serious leagues have a Constitution.

Understood and agreed.

>In any case, most leagues also fall under "whatever is not forbidden is allowed" maxim.
>That is to say, you don't need an explicit rule to do something, something like "You may trade with
>other teams." If you CAN'T do something, that's where rules come into play, such as
>"you cannot trade with teams past a certain date." Make sense?

Yup - thanks, mk - good advice. Although we're in our 27th year, we've always "played by the book" with only a few gentlemen-agreement rule changes. Perhaps it's time to make things a little more formal. :-)

Bill
threazy
T-Ball Trainer

FAABing DL players

Postby mkultra » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:42 am

There's not really much of a bible to follow here, it's more that it's the default behavior on sites (I believe). It's possible that some of the more "serious" systems like LABR work that way, but you're dealing with a whole bag of picky rules there. I haven't been playing as long as some around here, but I've used FAAB a bunch and never even considered doing it that way. Keep it simple! :)
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigmck » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:29 pm

That is a "league by league" rule. Our league used to allow it but decided that a player had to be on the 25 man roster to be FAABed. This is something your league has to decide.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby mkultra » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:59 am

That's interesting. I was wondering what the rationale for that kind of rule is, and I was poking around Fantrax's config, and found this note:

This rule is especially useful if your league allows a large maximum of Injured Reserve slots, in order to prevent owners from hoarding injured players into those slots.

That seems sound to me- if you're in a "normal" league with only a couple DL slots, you're probably not going to have that issue.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:45 pm

x2 ;-D
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Commissioner's Corner