RP Only Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

RP Only Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: RP Only Strategy

Postby BChinly » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:57 pm

Well I don't just get closers. I also have to fill up my two SP spots in my leagues. Usually there is about 2 SP spots with 2 RP spots and 2-4 P Spots in the leagues i play in. I'll get decent pitchers. This year my aces were morrow and Leubke. Too bad they both got injured though... Then I get about three closers and top set up men ( Romo, David Robinson, Pestano, ect.) pretty much most teams fill those spots with starters instead of relief pitchers. Most set up men/closers have better ERA/Whip than a typical Top Tier Pitcher would get. Also closers and setup men have a much higher K/9 rate than most SP. I will have some SP who seem that they may have good starts and maybe spot start them, but mostly I will have other set up men or RP that have a good chance on getting that closing job this year (especially for Dynasty Leagues). if my 5 pitchers make about three appearances a week that's about 15 I.P. with about 20-25Ks sometimes even more along with 2 or 3 starts from my SP. Yeah I don't always win in Ks but I don't always lose either. I also usually clinch the Saves category in my league. There's also the bonus that top Tier Closers get taken much later than most top tier SP. This allows my hitting to be much more superior compared to the other teams. If their hitting is somewhat the same then i will still win Saves and usually ERA and Whip considering most closers don't get blown up too often ( but when they do it's usually bad) the rest of my pitching can compensate for it. It's also equal to a SP giving up 4-6 runs in a start, because when a closer get's destroyed it's nothing more than 2 runs in their inning which will get absorbed by the end of the week. Sometimes it doesn't work out but I'll still get away with 6-4 most likely
BChinly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 116)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:11 pm

I do this quite often and it's usually successful. Not all RPs, but a lot of them. You might need 4 starters depending on the league settings. Like I said, you still have to reach the IP maximum in order to be competitive. Instead of having a bunch of hitters on my bench that I never use, I load up on RPs. I guess my situation is different because my main league has 8 bench slots which is a lot. And this is roto. Take a small hit in Ws but have a big step up in SV, ERA, WHIP and Ks. It's going pretty much according to plan, as my hitting is dominating and I'm near the top in every pitching category except Ws (Cliff Lee is partially to blame for that, too) and overall I have an 11 point lead over 2nd place.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 110)

Postby OBPlover » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:35 pm

H2H makes the strategy work less, if just one of your closers has a really bad outing, you lose ERA and WHIP usually. There's no time to recover.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 118)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers