RP Only Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

RP Only Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

RP Only Strategy

Postby Man On First » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:29 am

I've been thinking of a easy to execute strategy where if there are no designated SP spots you just use relievers to dominate the categories Era Whip and Saves. You could pay more at the draft for reliable hitters and less for arms like verlander and strasburg. What do you think.
Man On First
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: RP Only Strategy

Postby chargerss24 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:08 pm

There's all sorts of strategies you can use. I use a similar to your idea, but ours is a keeper league with auction value. I move for the top-tier holds guy (Adrolis Chapman) or guys like Joe Nathan coming off an injury, and kept both of them for a dime this year. What they've done has garnered me a great return, while spending the money on my SP's and Hitters. I'll flip Chapman and Nathan this off season because their prices will now be through the roof and research young kids with talent (like Jake McGee) and repeat the process. I've gone in the past two season's without a reliable closer and ended up in the top 5 in saves both times.
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby Man On First » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:20 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I may try that in a keeper league that I'm going to try to form this winter.
Man On First
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby benb18a » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:45 pm

I still like the no RP strategy. You can't really cycle in/out relievers since they are due to play on any given day, like you can with starters, so you can keep as many starters as you want but can only keep the 8 RPs or however many your lineup allows for.
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki
BN: Howard, Rizzo, Donaldson
DL: Tulo
Peavy Sale, Valverde, Axford, Greinke, Marcum, Estrada, Capuano, Hughes, Haren

Public Yahoo league 130-67-13 winrar
benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby RyeWhiskey » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:48 pm

Man On First wrote:I've been thinking of a easy to execute strategy where if there are no designated SP spots you just use relievers to dominate the categories Era Whip and Saves. You could pay more at the draft for reliable hitters and less for arms like verlander and strasburg. What do you think.

Terrible plan. No need to argue the point except to say go look at the closers who were 'safe' at the beginning of this season and then look at the situation now. If your top 3 closers go down, your whole strategy falls apart. Whereas if you adopt the approach of drafting good solid SPs after round 5 and looking for RP value after round 10-12, your risk is spread out over numerous players and hence you're more likely to win.

I've used the RP only approach before and it can work, but it works best in a situation where there's more stats like Holds and K/9.
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jackie hayes » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:26 pm

It can work, but you end up basically punting the starter counting stats (wins and strikeouts). I'll often concentrate on hitting, go after higher risk starters middle/late, and if that collapses, go to the relievers-only approach late in the season. But if it works (think someone like Chris Sale this season), you have the hitting and all the pitching. In a standard-size league, you can usually pick up those sp-eligible relievers when you need them (Furbush, Ogando, eg).
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 65)

Postby Man On First » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:47 am

RyeWhiskey wrote:
Man On First wrote:I've been thinking of a easy to execute strategy where if there are no designated SP spots you just use relievers to dominate the categories Era Whip and Saves. You could pay more at the draft for reliable hitters and less for arms like verlander and strasburg. What do you think.

Terrible plan. No need to argue the point except to say go look at the closers who were 'safe' at the beginning of this season and then look at the situation now. If your top 3 closers go down, your whole strategy falls apart. Whereas if you adopt the approach of drafting good solid SPs after round 5 and looking for RP value after round 10-12, your risk is spread out over numerous players and hence you're more likely to win.

I've used the RP only approach before and it can work, but it works best in a situation where there's more stats like Holds and K/9.

It probably is a terrible idea. :-) ;-D
Man On First
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:56 pm

In a league with IP limits, K is effectively K/9 since most people will use all of their available innings. And middle relievers typically have similar Wins/Inning ratio as mid-tier starting pitchers (~12% less). So as long as you have enough roster spots, you can compete in W as well, even if you have a ton of relievers. Wouldn't hurt to focus on a couple cheaper starting pitchers on teams that win a lot of games.

And yeah RP have a lot more volatility from season to season, so it's a risk, but the benefit is that your team can be supplemented easily from the waiver wire and you have the flexibility to add a lot of the "hot new RPs". I wouldn't go entirely RPs, but grab enough cheap reliable starters in order to reach the innings limit.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 110)

Postby kab21 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:33 pm

there would have to be a really low IP limit and a lot of roster spots even if you had a couple of cheap starters to compete in K's. The way I see it you are giving up 2 categories. You better be sure that your offense is dominant because it's going to be hard to compete if you miss at all.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 162)

Postby jackie hayes » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:48 pm

I was thinking h2h -- I don't think it would work very well at all in any roto league I've seen.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 65)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers