Adrian Gonzalez & Josh Beckett & Carl Crawford to Dodgers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Adrian Gonzalez & Josh Beckett & Carl Crawford to Dodgers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Adrian Gonzalez & Josh Beckett & Carl Crawford to Dodger

Postby thedude » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:04 pm

$260,000,000 reportedly coming off the Red Sox balance sheet. Ben Cherington must have been giggling when the Dodgers actually agreed to take most of Theo Epstiens atrocious contracts. Seriously, if Beckett, Gonzalez, or Crawford were free agents would anyone give them the same money? I doubt it.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:07 pm

AussieDodger wrote:I can understand trading Crawford and Colonel Beckett, but the Red Sox have officially lost their minds if they even THINK of letting A.Gonzalez go.

He's only 30 years old and is a career .294/.372/.509 hitter, mostly at Petco.
30 years old. 30 years. 30.

Does John Henry still own this team? :-S

They had two hundred sixty million reasons to do this trade.
He's 30, making 20 million a year, has forgotten to hit home runs, and he allows a massive salary dump of three overpaid players (Beckett, Crawford, and Punto). This allows Boston to get under the luxury tax and sign whomever they want going forward.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby Izenhart » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:29 pm

There is no doubt this is a brilliant move for the Sox. If there ever was a time to take advantage of a team willing to spend now was it. I'm actually a little bit excited to see what Boston does with the money. When does Kershaw become a free agent? :-D :-D
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 529)

Postby Element » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:34 pm

Izenhart wrote:When does Kershaw become a free agent? :-D :-D

Never
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 968)

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:47 pm

thedude wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:I can understand trading Crawford and Colonel Beckett, but the Red Sox have officially lost their minds if they even THINK of letting A.Gonzalez go.

He's only 30 years old and is a career .294/.372/.509 hitter, mostly at Petco.
30 years old. 30 years. 30.

Does John Henry still own this team? :-S

They had two hundred sixty million reasons to do this trade.
He's 30, making 20 million a year, has forgotten to hit home runs, and he allows a massive salary dump of three overpaid players (Beckett, Crawford, and Punto). This allows Boston to get under the luxury tax and sign whomever they want going forward.

The price of moving two bad contracts is jettisoning a 30 year old, 5 or 6 WAR player?
No thank you.

Who exactly are they planning to sign with this freed money?
Josh Hamilton? (vomit %-6 )
B.J Upton? (lol)
Dempster/Liriano? :-b

If the Sox are doing this to reload with an unlimited budget, they're one off-season too late (Pujols, Fielder etc)
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 143)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:02 am

as of now Josh Beckett is still scheduled to make his start tomorrow against Kansas City.

not only does Beckett have to say yes, apparently so does Crawford.
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that Carl Crawford has the Dodgers on his partial no-trade list.
It was previously reported that Crawford has two teams on his no-trade list, but it turns out three teams are on the list. As of late Friday night, the Red Sox have yet to ask him to waive his no-trade clause. Still, most believe the mega-deal will go through.

Victorino is a free agent after the season yes? this for sure means he doesn't resign? I remember reading somewhere he was hoping to resign with the Dodgers. could LA try and resign Victorino and trade say Ethier?
if Crawford can get healthy just imagine the offensive players they could have. Kemp, Gonzalez, Hanley (if he can get back to normal), Crawford, Ethier.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 512)

Postby jackie hayes » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:27 am

Havok1517 wrote:
jackie hayes wrote:
Padsin05 wrote:the Dodgers dont have squat for prospects, must be their 1st rounder this year, or Lee

They can't trade this year's draft picks for a year, I thought -- unless that rule changed with the new CBA?

Typically, they just label them as a PTNL and include them when they are eligible to be traded. Not saying that is the case but this is apparently a salary drop and not much else.

(It's all academic now, but I'm curious.) Isn't there some time limit on that, though, a few months or so? I didn't think they could wait until next June, at least.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 274)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:39 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Element wrote:I am HUGE on Rubby DLR. That kid is an absolute stud in the making. I am very sad to see him leaving. I like Webster a lot too. I would've preferred to see Lee & Reed. But to add a bat like AGone ... It's worth it!
Getting lost in all of this is how amazing Carl Crawford (and really, Beckett too) is capable of being (for Crawford not this year, obviously, but they've suddenly got a potential monster leadoff bat in 2013). For fantasy purposes, this could be massive for Beckett for the remainder of the year.

LAD's Sept schedule: ARI, SD, @SF, @ARI, STL, @WSH, @CIN, @SD, COL. That's a heck of a lot better than facing TB and NYY, and even TOR offensively.

Doesn't Crawford need Tommy John? I assumed he was gonna miss a bunch of 2013 and will be coming back from it as a 32 year old with injury problems who is making an absolute boatload of money.

I know they're getting Agonz but to give up prospects AND pay for $260MM worth of contracts is just insanity.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 810)

Postby jackie hayes » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:46 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
Element wrote:I am HUGE on Rubby DLR. That kid is an absolute stud in the making. I am very sad to see him leaving. I like Webster a lot too. I would've preferred to see Lee & Reed. But to add a bat like AGone ... It's worth it!
Getting lost in all of this is how amazing Carl Crawford (and really, Beckett too) is capable of being (for Crawford not this year, obviously, but they've suddenly got a potential monster leadoff bat in 2013). For fantasy purposes, this could be massive for Beckett for the remainder of the year.

LAD's Sept schedule: ARI, SD, @SF, @ARI, STL, @WSH, @CIN, @SD, COL. That's a heck of a lot better than facing TB and NYY, and even TOR offensively.

Doesn't Crawford need Tommy John? I assumed he was gonna miss a bunch of 2013 and will be coming back from it as a 32 year old with injury problems who is making an absolute boatload of money.

I know they're getting Agonz but to give up prospects AND pay for $260MM worth of contracts is just insanity.

He already got TJ surgery, sometime this past week. From what I've read, the recovery time for an of is shorter than for a pitcher, so he'll miss some time to begin the year, but still be back for more than half the season.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 274)

Postby kab21 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:47 am

PTBNL's have to traded within 6 months and draft picks can't be traded for 12 months from the day they sign.

This is a pretty big trade if it goes through. The Dodgers need to be really sure that CC is going to return because 260M is a lot of money for 6 years of AGonz in his 30's. Beckett is a mess. His velocity is down along with his K rates. I'm not even sure if the NL will fix what ails him.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 518)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers