Is this trade Vetoable? I think so. WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Is this trade Vetoable? I think so. WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Is this trade Vetoable? I think so. WHIR

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:22 am

jruffus1 wrote:I am in a 12-team H2H Keeper. 4 players are kept for their corresponding draft picks. Team A is in 3rd place and is basically stacked. Team B is in 11th place and nowhere in playoff contention. The playoffs start in 2.5 weeks.

Team A Gives:

Alcides Escobar
Ardonis Chapman
Jake McGhee
Round 6 Pick
Round 23 Pick

Team B Gives:

Jason Heyward
Mitchell Boggs
Grand Balfour
David Robertson
Round 5 Pick
Round 5 Pick

I just don't see how this trade makes any sense for team B....Thoughts?

No veto. From Team B's point of view, Chapman could be worth Heyward if you buy into his otherworldly numbers this year, which is a perfectly legitimate thing to do. The rest is kind of a wash. I definitely would want the Heyward side but that's not a good reason to veto a trade.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 41)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Urban Cohorts » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:26 am

jruffus1 wrote:In a keeper league, especially ones where players are forfeited for their picks, Trout is much more valuable than Cano IMO. The kid in my league gets to keep trout for 3 years and only has to give up last round picks.

Yes, it is all relative and league specific. In that case, the owner getting Trout has a mega boost for a long time. In other leagues, where you just keep players with no strings attached, I can see the long term upside of Trout outweighing the other players (even Cano).

exm wrote:That is crazy. Cano for Trout alone should be fair, although I still rather have Cano. Trout SUCKED last season and the first month but has been on fire ever since. However... 2013 Eric Hosmer? Wow. The trade in your league should have been vetoed, no questions asked.

Who cares if Trout sucked last year? Trout had 123 ABs in 2011 and was not an everyday player. How can you hold this against him? And how was Trout bad during the first month of 2012? He was in the minors. Unless you mean his 3 games in April? :-?

Going back to the original post, I think that trade is VERY lopsided. Without knowing which picks the players are worth (Chapman and Heyward mainly), Team A is certainly getting the better deal. The question you should be asking is "should we kick Manager B out of the league for such stupidity?" and not "should we veto this trade?".
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dannahann » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:39 am

I don't see any reason to veto the original trade presented altho you are leaving out some key info. You mention players being kept per their draft rounds. The keepers trading places here are Heyward and Aroldis IMO. What rounds can each be kept in??
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby exm » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:15 am

Urban Cohorts wrote:Who cares if Trout sucked last year? Trout had 123 ABs in 2011 and was not an everyday player. How can you hold this against him? And how was Trout bad during the first month of 2012? He was in the minors. Unless you mean his 3 games in April? :-?

I am not holding it against him, I just think Trout is overhyped. Sure, he'll win AL MVP this year and hopefully for the sake of baseball I'm wrong, but if the Trout hype produces these type of trades it can screw up the league you're in. That's my point.
exm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 76)

Postby jruffus1 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:43 pm

The thing is that team B is not making the playoffs by any means, while team A most certainly will. Team B is arguing that this trade is meant to "boost his future." I do not see how trading TWO 5th round picks (he got one in a trade) for basically Chapman and a 6th round pick could help his team in the future at all. Sure Chapman can be kept in exchange for like a 19th round pick, but he could simply use one of his original 5th round picks for a top of the line closer. Doesn't this make the most sense?!?!?

Plus, the kid giving the 5th round picks also proposed this trade to me once: His Weaver for MY Trout AND Kershaw. It's just crazy lol.
jruffus1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 68)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:05 pm

jruffus1 wrote:The thing is that team B is not making the playoffs by any means, while team A most certainly will. Team B is arguing that this trade is meant to "boost his future." I do not see how trading TWO 5th round picks (he got one in a trade) for basically Chapman and a 6th round pick could help his team in the future at all. Sure Chapman can be kept in exchange for like a 19th round pick, but he could simply use one of his original 5th round picks for a top of the line closer. Doesn't this make the most sense?!?!?

Plus, the kid giving the 5th round picks also proposed this trade to me once: His Weaver for MY Trout AND Kershaw. It's just crazy lol.

Well, that's what you get for letting a child into the league.

Either that, or you're one of those people who calls people "kid" in a condescending way.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 41)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:42 pm

jruffus1 wrote:Plus, the kid giving the 5th round picks also proposed this trade to me once: His Weaver for MY Trout AND Kershaw. It's just crazy lol.

To which I go back to my original question-

Urban Cohorts wrote:The question you should be asking is "should we kick Manager B out of the league for such stupidity?" and not "should we veto this trade?".

All signs point to YES.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions