NL MVP. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

NL MVP.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: NL MVP.

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:53 pm

Skin Blues wrote:They calculate it, but it's pretty much a useless number from what I understand. There's so much that needs to go into it that just isn't available yet. And Braun's offensive WAR is quite a bit higher (almost a full win) than Posey's, and his baserunning is also better than Posey by abouthalf of a win. So roughly 1.5 WAR advantage for Braun excluding fielding, where obviously the edge would go to Posey, but hard to say by how much. Suffice it to say it's close enough that simply looking at WAR won't give a definitive answer. It's not like either of them are ahead by 3+ WAR or anything.

Where did you find that Braun's offensive WAR is a full win higher than Posey's? Baseball-reference shows Posey ahead by over 1 WAR, I assume it's fangraphs that says differently?

Either way Posey is either tied or ahead in overall WAR so it's silly to call it a snub or say that Braun is more deserving imo.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 453)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:05 pm

Fangraphs. It's actually about .9 WAR difference once you convert runs to wins. They include stolen bases in offensive WAR, maybe BR doesn't. Not sure, I've never used BR for anything other than a quick glance at basic stats. The site is just a pain to navigate and Fangraphs pretty much does everything better, from what I've seen.

And yeah there's no way that either could be "snubbed". Posey will almost certainly win it, though. Braun has zero chance.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 172)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:23 pm

GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby benb18a » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:20 pm

Fair enough. I think we can find common ground in the reason Posey will win the MVP, and Braun will not, given the playoff status and the drug test scandal :-b

Love the avatar/location http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oScCgxuId98
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki
BN: Howard, Rizzo, Donaldson
DL: Tulo
Peavy Sale, Valverde, Axford, Greinke, Marcum, Estrada, Capuano, Hughes, Haren

Public Yahoo league 130-67-13 winrar
benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Urban Cohorts » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:41 pm

I think Posey and Braun are close, but I think Posey will and should win it.

As far as the voting goes... the Giants made the playoffs and the Brewers did not. That seals the deal IMO. Matt Kemp didn't win the award last year because the Dodgers didn't make the playoffs and the Brewers did. And Kemp was better than Braun. Braun is equal to Posey in a best case scenario. So GG Braun, but it looks like Posey will win.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:18 pm

Lost in all of this is how incredible Posey's season really was when you look back where he was a year or even six months ago. People thought he might never catch again and possibly would never fully heal and he went out and put up an MVP season basically carrying the Giants into the postseason. Kinda hard to believe that this was his first full season and that he's still only 25 years old. Hard to think he could be better than this but I thought the same thing back in 2010 as well.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:19 pm

I'd like to see Braun win the award, and think he deserves it, but as has been echoed quite a bit, he has zero chance. That being said, Posey has certainly been close enough that he is a deserving player, and it's nice to see him bounce back from the injury that sparked GF to demand change in the game, and we all had a good laugh about it. Nice to see a Catcher win the award, and have as good as season as Buster did. I imagine the award will go to him, which is cool.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 375)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:54 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I'd like to see Braun win the award, and think he deserves it, but as has been echoed quite a bit, he has zero chance. That being said, Posey has certainly been close enough that he is a deserving player, and it's nice to see him bounce back from the injury that sparked GF to demand change in the game, and we all had a good laugh about it. Nice to see a Catcher win the award, and have as good as season as Buster did. I imagine the award will go to him, which is cool.

I know you're trolling but I still think home plate collisions are incredibly stupid. If you can do it at home, why not at 2nd or 3rd base? That thin layer of padding a catcher has on makes it safe or something? It will take some sort of brain damage/career ending injury before MLB cares enough to do something about it, but just looking back at some of the collisions this year it's gonna happen eventually.

For example, does anyone really want to see this?
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=24279325&source=MLB&gid=2012_08_28_slnmlb_pitmlb_1

Seriously, it's almost sickening to watch how messed up he is after that. I'm sure you're enjoying a good laugh though h0rt.

I'd much rather see Molina on the field and healthy and making plays like this that watch him take hits like that.

How silly of me.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

Postby benb18a » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:04 pm

So is Posey the consensus MVP, seeing as how this thread has died and the Giants have done nothing but win?
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki
BN: Howard, Rizzo, Donaldson
DL: Tulo
Peavy Sale, Valverde, Axford, Greinke, Marcum, Estrada, Capuano, Hughes, Haren

Public Yahoo league 130-67-13 winrar
benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BigLebowski » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:12 pm

Scutaro has overtaken Posey.
BigLebowski