General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: NL MVP.

Postby Izenhart » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:50 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:Mike Trout.

I'm writing him in next year for the NL All Star game. Who knows, if enough people think like me he could actually start for them!
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 299)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:38 pm

McCutchen if the Pirates make the playoffs.
Buster if the Pirates don't and the Giants do.

/thread
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby rjforlife » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:55 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:McCutchen if the Pirates make the playoffs.

/thread

Nice homer post. If the Cardinals storm back and take the Central or even nab the wild card, Holliday/Beltran are going to get some consideration. You cannot simply write them off at this point.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:59 am

rjforlife wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:McCutchen if the Pirates make the playoffs.

/thread

Nice homer post. If the Cardinals storm back and take the Central or even nab the wild card, Holliday/Beltran are going to get some consideration. You cannot simply write them off at this point.

It's not a homer post, it's what I think will happen under those circumstances (assuming neither player bombs during the stretch run). Voters vote for winners and for good stories. If the Pirates go to the playoffs McCutchen has it locked up. If not, and Buster continues carrying the Giants then I think it goes to him. He's coming back from a terrible injury, is a great defensive catcher, and catches one of the best rotations in baseball.

Just looking at WAR...
No way does Braun get it after the steroids controversy.
No way does Wright get it with the Mets being so terrible.
No way do Bourn or Heyward get it because too much of their value is in defense.

I'd say Holliday is the only other one on that list that has a chance, but Buster has clearly been superior this year (it's really not all that close) and has the story to go with it. Unless both the Giants and Pirates miss the playoffs I don't think he has much of a chance.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

NL MVP.

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:21 am

I think Braun may actually pick up additional votes because he was exonerated of his steroid implication and succeeded in the face of skepticism.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Postby kab21 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:32 am

lastingsgriller wrote:I think Braun may actually pick up additional votes because he was exonerated of his steroid implication and succeeded in the face of skepticism.

He escaped on a technicality and everyone considers him guilty. If anything he loses more votes because of that. If HOF voting is any indication you don't actually have to be found guilty of anything to lose votes.

I think McCutchen will win it unless he goes ice cold for the rest of the season. He's got style and he has the Pirates storyline. Everyone is rooting for an underdog.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby mayor quimby » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:37 pm

rjforlife wrote:

I think you can definitely write Beltran off at this point and I would be inclined to think you could do the same for Holliday.

With Beltran's .276 BA, in order for consideration, he'd need to be above and beyond Cutch and Braun in the production numbers, which he is not. Plus he has fewer than half the number of WAR than Cutch and Braun at 6.3 with only 3.1.

As for Holliday, if you're considering 3 outfielders, and one of them doesn't steal bases while the other two do, I think the same thing goes for Holliday as Beltran except SB instead of average. In order for him to be considered with Cutch and Braun, he'd need to have huge HR/RBI/R totals in lieu of not stealing bases, but he doesn't. And Holliday is almost 2 wins fewer in WAR.

Posey should most definitely be in the conversation. A catcher with that kind of production is more valuable than any OF like Braun and Cutch to a team, and I also think that the Giants are more likely to make the playoffs than the Bucco's at this point.
mayor quimby
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby SpecialFNK » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:55 pm

it's unfair to base the vote for either McCutchen or Posey based on how the Pirates or Giants do. the Giants have better players around Posey. it's not fair to punish McCutchen because his teammates are not as good as Posey's teammates.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 91)

Postby Izenhart » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:04 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:it's unfair to base the vote for either McCutchen or Posey based on how the Pirates or Giants do. the Giants have better players around Posey. it's not fair to punish McCutchen because his teammates are not as good as Posey's teammates.

When it comes down to two players who are arguably just as deserving, the voter may use the success of their team as a tiebreaker by claiming their performance vaulted their team into the playoffs. MVP is a vague award, given to the "most valuable" player. However, I think it's too early to get into a tangible debate when there's still a whole month left to play.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 299)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers