AL MVP. Mike Trout show? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

AL MVP. Mike Trout show?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: AL MVP. Mike Trout show?

Postby Bwanna » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:47 am

I gotta believe if Trout steals two more bases in these last three games, a few votes will shift simply because of the 30/50 achievement.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/tbd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 255)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:57 am

I love Cabrera, he's carried my fantasy team for the last 2 years and I really hope he gets the Triple Crown just because it would be such a cool thing.

That said, Trout is easily the MVP, whether the dummy voters recognize it or not.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Bwanna » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:06 am

BTW, I have Trout and Miggie on same keeper team in one league - locked up for 3 more years. :-° ;-D :*)
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/tbd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 255)

Postby Padsin05 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:53 am

the sad thing is that you will get some voters, that give the same crap, if Babe Ruth wasnt a 100% 1st time ballot HOF then Cal Ripken is only gonna get 98% tops.

there will be some voters, who refuse to vote for Trout, for 2 reasons, 1 hes a rookie, and rookies shouldnt get this award over a vet, and 2) The Halos didnt make the playoffs, so how is Trout the MVP.

its absolutely ridiculous that Miggy is even in the discussion, I get the whole Triple Crown thing its cool for baseball, its cool for fantasy, but what Trout has done this year is unprescedented, He has had the greatest rookie season of all-time hands down, and his 10.5 WAR to Verlanders 7.5 (2nd place) is the biggest WAR margin in the last 50+ yrs.

Trout not only is a monster offensively, but he is already a gold glove caliber OF, and already one of the best baserunners in the game, and I am not just talking SB's, but going from 1st to 3rd, taking extra bases.

If Ted Williams won the triple crown twice, and NEVER got the MVP, then Cabrera should join that club. There have been lots of players to get the Triple Crown, but there have been only 2 other players ever to go 30/48+, and Trout is the first to do it while batting over .320.

Also Trout's only played 136 games, compared to 160 for Miggy

it really shouldnt be close
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 13)

AL MVP. Mike Trout show?

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:03 am

Padsin05 wrote:Also Trout's only played 136 games, compared to 160 for Miggy

I agree with everything you said except this part. This part favors miggy, not trout.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:06 am

Voters have been better the last few years (Grienke and Felix Cy Young awards with low win totals, for example), and I think they would get on board with the defense and baserunning argument as justification for voting for Trout, but they will not be able to resist voting for the Triple Crown winner and the guy who had the much better September to lead his team into the playoffs.

Plus, I'd bet that the voters don't feel like dealing with the tons of backlash they will get from the general baseball fan population that knows nothing about WAR or other advanced metrics - to the casual fan, it seems just as obvious that Miggy should be the MVP as folks at the Cafe believe Trout should be.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:53 am

lastingsgriller wrote:
Padsin05 wrote:Also Trout's only played 136 games, compared to 160 for Miggy

I agree with everything you said except this part. This part favors miggy, not trout.

It favours neither in terms of value. The fact that Trout can be so much more valuable despite playing 24 less games makes it all the more impressive, though. It's just too bad that there's an arbitrary award for having the most RBI and highest batting average. Shame there isn't one for being the best overall player, or Trout would have that locked up. Oh wait.... :-°
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 131)

Postby ayebatter » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:31 am

Padsin05 wrote:If Ted Williams won the triple crown twice, and NEVER got the MVP

In 1942 he got beat out by the inferior numbers of Joe Gordon on the pennant winning Yankees
In 1947 he got beat out by the inferior numbers of Joe DiMagio on the pennant winning Yankees
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1360)

Postby thedude » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:38 am

ayebatter wrote:
Padsin05 wrote:If Ted Williams won the triple crown twice, and NEVER got the MVP

In 1942 he got beat out by the inferior numbers of Joe Gordon on the pennant winning Yankees
In 1947 he got beat out by the inferior numbers of Joe DiMagio on the pennant winning Yankees

He got the MVP twice, just never in years he won the triple crown.

Losing the award to undeserving Yankees was kind of a theme to Ted Williams career:

In 1941 he got beat out by the inferior numbers of Joe DiMaggio on the pennant winning Yankees
In 1951 he got beat out by the inferior numbers of Yogi Berra on the pennant winning Yankees (13th place that season despite leading the league in WAR)
In 1955 he got beat out by the inferior numbers of Yogi Berra on the pennant winning Yankees
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:44 am

Bloody Sox wrote:Voters have been better the last few years (Grienke and Felix Cy Young awards with low win totals, for example), and I think they would get on board with the defense and baserunning argument as justification for voting for Trout, but they will not be able to resist voting for the Triple Crown winner and the guy who had the much better September to lead his team into the playoffs.

Plus, I'd bet that the voters don't feel like dealing with the tons of backlash they will get from the general baseball fan population that knows nothing about WAR or other advanced metrics - to the casual fan, it seems just as obvious that Miggy should be the MVP as folks at the Cafe believe Trout should be.

Funny thing about that "better in September" argument. Mike trout had a higher WAR over the last mo nth.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 430)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers