AL MVP. Mike Trout show? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

AL MVP. Mike Trout show?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: AL MVP. Mike Trout show?

Postby Izenhart » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:33 am

I find it odd that Zobrist is always ranked so high in WAR. He might be the most underrated player in the game.

Taking runs and steals into account, Trout is still ranked #1 overall in Yahoo even with MCab leading the game in HR, RBI and AVG.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 296)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:29 am

His batting isn't as high as most other top-10 WAR guys, and his average isn't great yet his OBA is usually about 100 points higher (he walks a lot). People automatically think if you don't hit 30 HR or have a .300 BA that you must suck as a hitter. He's also consistently a well-above-average fielder, and can play both middle infield positions as well as the OF. Extremely versatile and extremely valuable. And Tampa has him for dirt cheap the next 3 years, when he otherwise would have been a pending free agent this offseason. Being buried in Tampa probably doesn't help his unsexiness get noticed.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 120)

Postby baseball77 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:15 pm

Skin Blues wrote:I'll post names along with UZR "Range" scores amongst qualified 3B:

David Wright 9.8
Mike Moustakas 8.4
Brett Lawrie 7.2
Adrian Beltre 5.5
Aramis Ramirez 3.9
Alberto Callaspo 2.7
Chase Headley 2.3
Ryan Zimmerman 2.1
Kyle Seager 1.0
Pedro Alvarez -0.2
David Freese -3.1
Chris Johnson -6.8
Hanley Ramirez -6.8
Miguel Cabrera -14.0

13 errors is great, but it's too bad he can't get to anything more than a foot to either side of him. I would post the base running scores too but it would be just as laughable. Maybe I'll put together a graph.

I thought UZR was a very unreliable stat for only one season's worth of production? I don't know much about the stat, just repeating something I read.
baseball77
College Coach
College Coach

Postby snash » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:56 pm

It's Cabrera. He'll get close if not win the triple crown. I think he's leading in all three categories as of Sunday morning. He's the primary reason for Detroit being 2 games up on the Sox and ultimately winning the AL Central. There's also the "due factor", with sympathy votes from voters who have largely dismissed him in the discussions over the past few years. The man rakes it every year whether he's in south beach or in auto land, but I don't believe he's ever been discussed as a real contender until this season.
snash
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thedude » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:26 pm

Cabrera will win the MVP, since his bat has been so incredibly good. Nevertheless, the guy really should be a DH. The Tigers are going to have problems for years with both Fielder and Cabrera playing the field.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby converge241 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:23 pm

Miguel Cabrera MVP, but Trout has to be one of the biggest "1A"'s ever.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:19 pm

Up to 30/48 for trout. Only the 3rd time in history it's been done. He's been so much more valuable than Cabrera it's ridiculous.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby Izenhart » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:27 pm

converge241 wrote:Miguel Cabrera MVP, but Trout has to be one of the biggest "1A"'s ever.

IMO, it's the other way around.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 296)

Postby rjforlife » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:09 pm

Izenhart wrote:
converge241 wrote:Miguel Cabrera MVP, but Trout has to be one of the biggest "1A"'s ever.

IMO, it's the other way around.

Unfortunately, you don't get to vote. All pro-Trout arguments are sound and correct, but I honestly give him about a 10% chance to win.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Postby jfg » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:42 pm

It's just too bad these two seasons occured in the same year. Both amazing players, one putting up numbers that a rookie has never achieved... numbers that truly can be considered one of the greatest seasons of recent memory, the other achieving something most thought would never happen again and his numbers are nothing to sneeze at either. They just don't belong in the elite category like Trout's. I would hate to be a voter this year because while one vote is the correct one, it still doesn't seem right.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 84)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers