Matt Harvey: Legit Ace? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt Harvey: Legit Ace?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Matt Harvey: Legit Ace?

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:47 pm

Izenhart wrote:What kind of numbers is Harvey going to end the year with? I'm thinking Chris Sale numbers from last year.

That would be fantastic. Don't know that you can really project that kind of success for anyone this young and inexperienced. As he sees teams a second and third time, he should experience a tougher time getting through them. What it'll boil down to is, when he's bad, how bad will he be? I'd be happy with a mid-3 ERA, if the K/9 and K/BB can mirror that of Sale from last year.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metropolitans » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:22 am

As a Mets fan I'm absolutely ECSTATIC about Harvey! ... but as a fantasy owner, I'm disgusted with myself. In my "big $ money" draft, I had Matt Harvey checked up and ready to be selected. Between the current pick and my pick, I began to overthink and due to our League's settings being favorable to speed guys who don't strike out at the plate as much, I convinced myself to take Ichiro Suzuki instead of Matt Harvey %-6 .... The "Real Factor" here was me being a jaded Mets fan, I assumed he would have a decent (maybe even bad) Sophomore season, and I never thought he would make a leap to "elite" or even 'top-tier' like this because..... well because I'm a jaded Mets fan who's been burnt way too many times in the last 20+ years. I assumed that Harvey's BB% would rise and/or be the death of him, or at least what held him back from that 'next step'. So because I'm a DIEHARD Mets fan, I convinced myself to un-click Matt Harvey and select Ichiro Suzuki (had I not been a Mets fan, I select Harvey :-t )... that's right, a true DIEHARD Mets fan doubted our #1 prospects 59 Innings Pitched last season. This Fan has watched Elite Prospect after Elite Prospect come up and dominate the MLB for a couple months, only to regress and/or get 'figured out' the FOLLOWING Season, and I thought "What're the odds that MY Metropolitans actually have the real deal here?" .... "No way! We NEVER Catch a Break!".... Guys as heralded as "ELITE Pitching Prospects" such as Tommy Hanson and Matt Moore came up for a couple months or so and DOMINATED, like Harvey or Better, only to have AWFUL/not good Sophomore Seasons. The worst part is, those pitchers were Ranked inside the top 65 Fantasy Players (I think) going into their Sophomore years, whereas Harvey's Ranking was actually quite LOW, almost accepting the Regression or at least embracing the fact that he "should struggle".... But he HASNT struggled AT ALL!!! & his value was very much worth the gamble, he should've been a "Must Have" or a "Target" of mine, not a player who I practically "Avoid" due to pessimism ...... I will literally NEVER forgive myself for this move... as a fan and as a fantasy owner! The worst part, and most embarrassing, is that this league also Heavily Favors Pitchers who Strike people out, even MORE Heavily favored than "the reason" why I drafted Ichiro. :~(

P.S. I can't be the 'only' pessimistic Mets fan who made a gaffe similar to this and wrongly doubted our future Ace... Can I ??? :-o
14Team-Keeper
C Gattis
1B Votto
2B NFranklin
3B Frazier
SS Zobrist
OF Trout
OF Elsbury
OF Puig
Ut Crawford,Morales
BN LMartin,RMartin,Profar
SP Stras
SP Scherzer
RP Veras
RP Parnel
P Kimbrel
P Fernandez
P Archer
BN Turner,Nolasco,Gee,Pineda
DL Wandy
Metropolitans
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:51 am

I also am I diehard Mets fan that had a similar situation though maybe not quite as egregious. In my long time keeper league, I had two final spots and was trying to choose between C. Santana, Jennings and Harvey. I went with the bats. So far, bad move.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:59 am

pokerplaya wrote:I also am I diehard Mets fan that had a similar situation though maybe not quite as egregious. In my long time keeper league, I had two final spots and was trying to choose between C. Santana, Jennings and Harvey. I went with the bats. So far, bad move.

Its only a bad move so far because you are using hindsight. I think you made the right choice by going with Santana/Jennings over Harvey.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 14)

Postby lastingsgriller » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:27 am

I had Brett Anderson any Matt Harvey right next to each other on my predraft sheet. I took Anderson 4 picks before Harvey. Last night was a pretty depressing night for me.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:32 am

I only took Harvey in 1 of 4 leagues where I could draft him but luckily, that one Harvey team is one where I had waited on pitching and also a keeper league. Obviously wish I took him everywhere now.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby kab21 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:03 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:I only took Harvey in 1 of 4 leagues where I could draft him but luckily, that one Harvey team is one where I had waited on pitching and also a keeper league. Obviously wish I took him everywhere now.

I think it's strange that the so-called hater in this thread owns him in 100% of his leagues (1/1). ;-D He was available at a great spot in redrafts. Just low enough that most of the players have question marks.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 159)

Postby Metropolitans » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:07 pm

you guys make me feel a little better !+) ... not much though

Harvey's BB% will more than likely catch-up to him right? Not that I want it to, I guess im asking bc I want to target him and maybe convince his owner to "Sell High"... but he's bound for a regression, I mean obviously he's not gonna go undefeated, 35-0, and have an ERA/Whip lower than 1.00 ... but would an 18-5 record with an ERA around 2.80 and an 8ish K/9 be out of the question???
14Team-Keeper
C Gattis
1B Votto
2B NFranklin
3B Frazier
SS Zobrist
OF Trout
OF Elsbury
OF Puig
Ut Crawford,Morales
BN LMartin,RMartin,Profar
SP Stras
SP Scherzer
RP Veras
RP Parnel
P Kimbrel
P Fernandez
P Archer
BN Turner,Nolasco,Gee,Pineda
DL Wandy
Metropolitans
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby lastingsgriller » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:07 pm

kab21 wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:I only took Harvey in 1 of 4 leagues where I could draft him but luckily, that one Harvey team is one where I had waited on pitching and also a keeper league. Obviously wish I took him everywhere now.

I think it's strange that the so-called hater in this thread owns him in 100% of his leagues (1/1). ;-D He was available at a great spot in redrafts. Just low enough that most of the players have question marks.

Hater.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby garf112 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:51 pm

It is unfair watching Matt Harvey pitch. MLB is hitting .000 off his changeup. You read that right. Maybe they should make him throw from second base?
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers