Matt Harvey: Legit Ace? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt Harvey: Legit Ace?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Matt Harvey: Legit Ace?

Postby Joe Mauer » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:58 pm

Skin Blues wrote:So Harvey is likely going to play in the AFL. My theory: they know he needs surgery, but he's resisting and they want him to find out for himself that rehab won't work before Spring Training rolls around.

Exactly the thought that went through my head when I heard the news.

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:08 pm

It's now official. See ya in 2015.

While the Mets publicly supported Harvey as he went through therapy at the Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan, privately they were certain he would need the surgery.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 139)

Postby hot4tx » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:40 pm

So following the adage of "there are no stupid questions, just stupid people who ask questions" I've got to ask this...

What do the Mets officially do with Harvey? Do they have to put him on the DL (since he's injured) or do they option him to the minors (he should have options left no?) to avoid paying him a ML salary rate while he misses 2014? I ask this because I stumbled upon this

Harvey gets a salary of $546,625 while on the major league roster this year under the one-year deal announced Monday, and he is paid at an annual rate of $299,250 if on option to the minors.
Recovering from elbow ligament-replacement surgery on Oct. 22, Harvey gets paid at the big league rate while on the disabled list or during a minor league injury rehabilitation assignment. He may not return to the mound for the Mets until 2015.

Surely they still have him on the DL for the major league roster right? There's no loophole where they option him and get out of paying him is there? Yes, yes go ahead and insult me - I did eat paint chips and play with plastic bags as a child... ... but I wanted to make sure that he will be on the DL, not NA.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:03 pm

I'm all but completely certain he'll be on the DL.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby kab21 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:37 pm

You can't option someone down that is hurt while on the MLB roster. An extreme case of this is jason Kubel. He was a Sept callup and then tore up his knee in the AFL (maybe winter ball). He was still on the DL accumulating service time the following year.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 168)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:31 am

My question is, do we think he gets placed on the DL on the 22nd, or do the Mets wait until the 30th/31st? Similar questions regarding Hamels, Iwakuma, etc.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:43 am

bigh0rt wrote:My question is, do we think he gets placed on the DL on the 22nd, or do the Mets wait until the 30th/31st? Similar questions regarding Hamels, Iwakuma, etc.

Seems like teams always wait until right before there first game. I don't really see a benefit or disadvantage for the MLB team no matter when they do it. The only thing I can think of is the off chance the guy they move to the 40 man roster gets hurt in the week before the season starts.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby kab21 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Typically guys going on the 15 day DL aren't put on the DL until the day before the season starts. Harvey is headed to the 60 day DL so putting him on the DL early opens a spot on the 40 man roster so that could be useful to a team.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 168)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers