Matt Harvey: Legit Ace? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt Harvey: Legit Ace?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Matt Harvey: Legit Ace?

Postby jfg » Fri May 17, 2013 8:01 pm

I'm assuming the 2nd tier consists of Cain, Lee, Sale, Moore, Hamels, Sabathia, with Latos and Gio on the edge of 2+3. Price is probably on the edge of 1+2 at least in a keeper.

Give me Harvey for any of those guys in a redraft. But, I wouldn't trade anybody elite for him.

Give me Price over Harvey in a keeper but I'd probably have to think about it for a few days and change my mind about 10 times, all the rest I'd trade straight up for Harvey. Again, I wouldn't trade any elite pitcher for Harvey in a keeper.

That places Harvey pretty much in his own tier 1b.
Image
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6078
(Past Year: 82)
Joined: 4 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Matt Harvey: Legit Ace?

Postby rjforlife » Sat May 18, 2013 3:31 am

I would take Sale and Moore over Harvey. I'd leave the rest.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7509
(Past Year: 740)
Joined: 25 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Vegas Baby

Re: Matt Harvey: Legit Ace?

Postby cordscords » Sat May 18, 2013 3:53 am

For fantasy purposes I'll consider a legit ace a top 12 pitcher. I don't know how I would have all of them ranked, but Harvey would certainly be in there somewhere. He truly is a dynamic pitcher. I know I'm not adding anything new with that statement, but it's absolutely true.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4346
(Past Year: 23)
Joined: 23 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Matt Harvey: Legit Ace?

Postby Ender » Sat May 18, 2013 11:31 pm

jfg wrote:I'm assuming the 2nd tier consists of Cain, Lee, Sale, Moore, Hamels, Sabathia, with Latos and Gio on the edge of 2+3. Price is probably on the edge of 1+2 at least in a keeper.

Give me Harvey for any of those guys in a redraft. But, I wouldn't trade anybody elite for him.

Give me Price over Harvey in a keeper but I'd probably have to think about it for a few days and change my mind about 10 times, all the rest I'd trade straight up for Harvey. Again, I wouldn't trade any elite pitcher for Harvey in a keeper.

That places Harvey pretty much in his own tier 1b.


From today on I'd rather have Hamels, Sabathia, Latos, Gio, Moore, Sale, Lee than Harvey. I'm legitimately worried about Cain at this point so I'd have to think hard about him. I think Harvey is going to have a bad (relative tot he top 12 pitchers that is, not awful though) 2nd half as he tires out and that they will likely pull him with an innings limit since they have no chance to compete, plus the lack of a real offense limits the wins. It isn't about how good a pitcher he is, it is about the situation he is in. He is in my top 20 but no question at all about him being in the top 10, he just isn't for this year. Next year drafts I could see him being in the top 10 overall though.

That isn't a knock on Harvey at all, he has the rare commodity of a rising fastball and he has been efficient enough to go into the 7th and 8th inning on a regular basis, everything about him suggests this isn't just a fluke. The reality though is that hitters will get a book on him, stop swinging at the rising fastball that ends up being a ball, will understand his pitch sequencing better, he'll face something other than the top 10 worst offenses in baseball at some point, his offense won't get him enough wins and they'll shut him down at some point so everything is working against him being a top 10 guy from this point on.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7733
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Matt Harvey: Legit Ace?

Postby jfg » Sun May 19, 2013 2:31 am

Knowing the Mets, I don't think they'll limit him. I'm not saying that's a poor decision, but in the Mets case it probably will be.
Image
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6078
(Past Year: 82)
Joined: 4 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Matt Harvey: Legit Ace?

Postby West » Sun May 19, 2013 8:50 am

Looks like more easy going for Harvey for the next month and a half. The only real challenge will be CIN on Wednesday but he gets to face them at home. He gets Miami twice in June and misses the series against the Cardinals and the series in NYY, and the series in WAS. The guy has probably had the easiest schedule of all time. Atlanta might be tough, but that's about it.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1519
(Past Year: 85)
Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Matt Harvey: Legit Ace?

Postby Ender » Sun May 19, 2013 9:33 am

West wrote:Looks like more easy going for Harvey for the next month and a half. The only real challenge will be CIN on Wednesday but he gets to face them at home. He gets Miami twice in June and misses the series against the Cardinals and the series in NYY, and the series in WAS. The guy has probably had the easiest schedule of all time. Atlanta might be tough, but that's about it.


I don't think he'll struggle against the Braves since they have so much swing and miss in them. It is offenses like the Cardinals who are good at working the count that will trip him up but he has avoided those types of teams so far.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7733
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Matt Harvey: Legit Ace?

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun May 19, 2013 12:21 pm

jfg wrote:Knowing the Mets, I don't think they'll limit him. I'm not saying that's a poor decision, but in the Mets case it probably will be.


Omar Minaya is not the GM these days, they'll have Harvey take a seat over running him out there for 220 innings.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6584
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 11 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Re: Matt Harvey: Legit Ace?

Postby garf112 » Sun May 19, 2013 12:37 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:
jfg wrote:Knowing the Mets, I don't think they'll limit him. I'm not saying that's a poor decision, but in the Mets case it probably will be.


Omar Minaya is not the GM these days, they'll have Harvey take a seat over running him out there for 220 innings.


This. Different GM.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 2307
(Past Year: 38)
Joined: 10 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Matt Harvey: Legit Ace?

Postby rjforlife » Wed May 22, 2013 1:13 pm

Big test today against Cincy, I'm looking forward to watching this pitching duel.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7509
(Past Year: 740)
Joined: 25 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Vegas Baby

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact