Matt Harvey: Legit Ace? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt Harvey: Legit Ace?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Matt Harvey: Legit Ace?

Postby Ender » Tue May 07, 2013 10:41 pm

I still want to see him face a real offense, yet again he faces one of the bottom 3 offenses in the league. He now has 7 starts and all 7 are against bottom 10 offenses and 6 of 7 were in pitchers parks. At the time of each start I think all but 1 team was in the bottom 5 in runs scored at the time.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Skin Blues » Tue May 07, 2013 11:02 pm

^ That's how Kris Medlen managed his hot September. Had a 2.82 SIERA last season and has a 4.42 this season.

I think Matt Harvey is quite a bit better than Medlen, though. He won't keep up these insane ratios, but I have no little doubt he'll be elite all season.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 120)

Postby J35J » Tue May 07, 2013 11:04 pm

Skin Blues wrote:^ That's how Kris Medlen managed his hot September. Had a 2.82 SIERA last season and has a 4.42 this season.

I think Matt Harvey is quite a bit better than Medlen, though. He won't keep up these insane ratios, but I have no little doubt he'll be elite all season.

Yup, his stuff is just so good. He may be a bit wild at times, especially against the better offenses, but his good outings will far outweigh his rough outings and he'll have a really good year overall.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 387)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:21 pm

Sell high.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby ensanimal » Tue May 07, 2013 11:33 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:Sell high.

I may have sold him one start to early. Got Holliday for him after his last start, wonder what I could've had now? :-?
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 113)

Postby rjforlife » Wed May 08, 2013 12:31 am

ensanimal wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:Sell high.

I may have sold him one start to early. Got Holliday for him after his last start, wonder what I could've had now? :-?

Cargo.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Postby kab21 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:28 am

So I think he will hit a rough patch at some point this summer/fall but where does he rank in dynasty leagues. There are still at least 5 no doubters above him and another 5-10 guys but there aren't that many pitchers that I would trade Harvey for right now.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby bayside » Wed May 08, 2013 1:31 am

Ender wrote:I still want to see him face a real offense, yet again he faces one of the bottom 3 offenses in the league. He now has 7 starts and all 7 are against bottom 10 offenses and 6 of 7 were in pitchers parks. At the time of each start I think all but 1 team was in the bottom 5 in runs scored at the time.

First of all, he is going to keep facing bad offenses so quit trying to use that to rationalize your stance.
3 of the teams in his division are all in the bottom 7 in scoring in MLB - Phillies, Nats, and Marlins. Good chance he faces them all again I'd say.
The other team in his division, ATL, is only average (#14) and they also K more than anyone so also a great matchup.
And the rest of the NL? Pretty mediocre with the exception of Col and Mil who the Mets play a combined 3 series against total the rest of the year.
Matchups are not going to be much of an issue.

Secondly, have you watched him pitch?
It seems pretty obvious that his stuff is some of the very best in all of baseball.
Among all starting pitchers only Strasburg has a better fastball, and nobody throws a harder slider. His changeup is filthy, and so far it has literally been unhittable.
Its totally obvious that hes not going to maintain 1.3 ERA or a 0.8 WHIP but he is a legitimately elite starter.
I dont care if hes faced the Astros 7 times - the talent is real and it is immense.

he is no more of a sell high than any other good pitcher off to a great start, and since he has the stuff and peripherals to back it up more than any of the other "sell highs"... well youd better get a haul for him.

So what is it, really, that you dont like about him?
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matt Harvey: Legit Ace?

Postby JMR162; » Wed May 08, 2013 6:31 am

I haven't seen him pitch but I had my doubts about him until I started lookin into the numbers. I did use the kris medlen type argument to acquire him before his start last night. Owner trading him was none too happy afterwards lol. I have up zobrist, fowler, Parnell and Tilman for Alcides Escobar Matt carpenter and Harvey.
JMR162;
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 36)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed May 08, 2013 8:48 am

Best part about this for me is that he went 9 innings, struck out 12... on just 105 pitches. 76 strikes. Looks filthy as ever. Could not be happier to own this guy in my keeper for the next three seasons, or that he is a New York Met.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers