Drop Dan Haren? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Drop Dan Haren?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Drop Dan Haren?

Postby riprap » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:36 pm

On the cusp of a playoff spot in a Yahoo 12 team H2H standard 5x5 daily lineup changes. I have CC coming off the DL soon and need to drop a pitcher. I was thinking either Thayer (assuming Street will be back in a few weeks), Haren cause he has been awful (but I like having veteran arms), or Parker cause he might be getting fatigued. Wondering what people think. My pitchers:

SP - Matt Harvey
SP - Jon Lester
SP - Brett Anderson
SP - Matt Moore
SP - Jarrod Parker
SP - Dan Haren
SP - Jaime Garcia
RP - Fernando Rodney
RP - Rafael Betancourt
RP - Steve Cishek
RP - Dale Thayer
DL - CC Sabathia
DL - Jason Hammel
Last edited by riprap on Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
riprap
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Drop Dan Haren?

Postby pungent » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:37 pm

How many teams in the league? Just curious if this is a 10 man, b/c of closer depth. Does everyone have 4 closers? I'd lean to dropping Thayer and hold onto your SP. Seems like Thayer will give the job back to Street when he returns but you never now with closers...

Help - viewtopic.php?f=26&t=451959 ??
pungent
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby riprap » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:49 pm

12 team league
riprap
T-Ball Trainer

Postby CMan0928 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:14 pm

pungent wrote:Seems like Thayer will give the job back to Street when he returns but you never now with closers...

Help - viewtopic.php?f=26&t=451959 ??

Street is gonna get the job back. There's no doubt about that I don't think. To answer the question of whether to drop Haren or not, I say go for it. Will he really be that much better than, say, Jarrod Parker? I actually predict Parker outpitches Haren over the final month of the season. Has Dan Haren ever had a good second half? Maybe once? I used to be a big Haren guy. And don't get me wrong, when he's on he can be elite, no doubt. But that "when" is the problem with him. Especially around this time of year. I've been burned too many times to continue to endorse him. Plus, I think he's having issues with his back. Cut your losses and move on. Lester is pitching better and Anderson should help, too.
CMan0928
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 30)

Postby pungent » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:22 am

Thayer is the guy to drop especially in a 12 man league.

Don't drop Haren, as the last poster stated Lester has turned it around so why can't Haren? I'll hold onto a guy with elite upside than keep a closer who's going to lose his job in the near future. Make's perfect sense to me.
pungent
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CMan0928 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:45 am

pungent wrote:Thayer is the guy to drop especially in a 12 man league.

Don't drop Haren, as the last poster stated Lester has turned it around so why can't Haren? I'll hold onto a guy with elite upside than keep a closer who's going to lose his job in the near future. Make's perfect sense to me.

You're taking the optimistic route here, and that's fine. I just don't see it happening. Lester, as far as we know, is completely healthy. Early in the year he pitched well, but had some bad luck and couldn't buy a win for awhile. Then he went through a spell where he was just bad. Now it looks like he's on the right track. Haren is hurt. His back has been an issue for awhile. That's been reported by a couple different outlets. There's a difference. I haven't looked at the Angels schedule for the remainder of the season, but if the matchups are favorable and if you're committed to him, than so be it. I'd move on with what you have though.
CMan0928
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 30)

Postby riprap » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:57 am

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll probably drop Thayer for now and hope Haren can turn it around. He should do some deadlifts and get that lower back in shape. His last start got pushed back so he could work on his release point. Lester only started pitching well after he worked on some mechanical issues.
riprap
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Quackman » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:11 pm

Haren is a bum, get rid of him. By keeping Haren you risk those big blowups. Id keep thayer until he loses the job.
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 64)

Postby paperstacks1980 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:33 pm

yeah haren is a piece of trash...can him
paperstacks1980
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football