Who are the HOFers in the league right now? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who are the HOFers in the league right now?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Who are the HOFers in the league right now?

Postby Tavish » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:31 am

Others with legitimate claims that I don't think have been mentioned.

Beltran - Probably the best all around switch-hitter since Mantle
Rolen - Modern day Brooks Robinson
Abreu - Always went unnoticed
Oswalt - Probably doesn't have the hardware to back up a HoF spot, but would take him of Pettitte for sure.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:08 am

Oswalt had a short and unspectacular career. Nothing to do with hardware, just lack of excellence and duration.

And Abreu is very "meh". Good longevity but not much of a peak. Well below average fielder. Continuing to play at this stage of his career is only hurting his chances.

Beltran and Rolen are solid choices. And Adrian Beltre isn't far off consideration either, especially considering how good he still is.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby jfg » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:35 pm

Modern pitching is going to have to be looked at different by HOF voters. We're at the point with hitting that numbers are starting to look normal again, so it shouldn't be an issue, but with the rules clubs are placing on their pitching staffs, there's got to be some give there. I would hope that isn't an issue, just a change in thought on what an elite pitcher's stats look like at the end of the career. Halladay, Sabathia, Pettite and Verlander are all HOF, I'd put Lee and Oswalt in there as well. That's 6 starters from one era which seems about right, but other than Verlander who will probably finish with stats that put him in easily all of the others are borderline which is why voters need to reassess pitching credentials especially when the new era of micromanaged pitchers see their day. Rivera is obviously in as well.

As for hitters ARod, Jeter, Pujols, Manny, Ichiro, Vlad, Chipper, Thome for those who are easily in already, MCab, Braun, Mauer and Cano for those who are on their way barring injury or complete drop off. With Chipper and Thome in, I can only think of one borderline guy and that's Helton and I'd say no. He was great for awhile, but he needed to do more in his 30's to have a shot and while he still hit for average, he didn't do much else.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby Izenhart » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:57 pm

I think Ichiro, Chipper, Jeter, Mariano, Pujols and Thome would get my vote. Halladay I'm on the fence, leaning toward yes. Would like to see another good couple years from him. I'd pass on ARod and Manny if people are passing on McGwire and Bonds. Vlad no, not if Larry Walker isn't getting in.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 294)

Postby Element » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:01 pm

Izenhart wrote:I think Ichiro, Chipper, Jeter, Mariano, Pujols and Thome would get my vote. Halladay I'm on the fence, leaning toward yes. Would like to see another good couple years from him. I'd pass on ARod and Manny if people are passing on McGwire and Bonds. Vlad no, not if Larry Walker isn't getting in.

Basically this for me too. Miguel Cabrera & CC Sabathia are well on their way as well. Obviously, if guys like Verlander, Kershaw and Felix keep their health I'm sure that they'll be in the conversation at the ends of their careers. Still way too early to declare them though.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Re: Re: Who are the HOFers in the league right now?

Postby wrveres » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:32 pm

Padsin05 wrote:Halladay, needs some more years
you're just looking to pick a fight, right?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby chargerss24 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:02 pm

Frankly, if you have to think about it, they don't deserve to be in the HoF.
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby J35J » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:22 pm

chargerss24 wrote:Frankly, if you have to think about it, they don't deserve to be in the HoF.

Bingo

If you aren't worthy to be a no doubt first ballet guy then you don't deserve in.

If you have to go back and check the stats, you "probably" don't deserve to be in.

Unfortunately that's not how it is and it's largely why it's all a sham anymore...I'm not the least bit interested in who is or isn't anymore.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby mayor quimby » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:04 pm

Defense is pretty close to being as important as your offensive stats.

Forget about Bobby Abreu, can't believe his name was brought up in this thread. Terrible OF, just a 2 time all star, career .292 hitter with not much power. Very surprised he was mentioned here.

As for Big Daddy Vladdy, he had one of the best OF arms in baseball EVER. He could throw a bullet strike from the warning track to home plate with his eyes closed. He was incredible. Not to mention he was, in my opinion, the most exciting player to watch of all time.

If Vladimir Guerrero is not a HOFer then the Hall is nothing.
mayor quimby
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby jfg » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:11 pm

Vlad may not be 1st ballot, but I don't think there's any question that he gets in.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers