AL Cy Young - Who will it be? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

AL Cy Young - Who will it be?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: AL Cy Young - Who will it be?

Postby mweir145 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:55 pm

People...people, there's an easy way to go about this discussion. We've done it many times before...just look at their opponent OPS: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/sorta ... id=1091245

David Price: .767
Justin Verlander: .766
Felix Hernandez: .758
Jered Weaver: .742

With that out there, though, my pick is Felix. The perfect game will be a factor for the voters.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

AL Cy Young - Who will it be?

Postby lastingsgriller » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:12 am

I would say that this conversation can gain no steam in any direction. Felix, price, and verlander are close enough to say they are equal and whoever pitches best down the stretch will take it.

That being said, I've got my money on Felix.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 182)

Postby rjforlife » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:01 pm

Sale threw his hat back into the ring with that domination of the Yanks with 13 K's. He would truly be right there if they hadn't tried to move him into the bullpen for a while and given him nearly 2 weeks rest during/after the break. Maybe that's part of the reason he's getting even stronger now, but he's still in the discussion in my book.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 765)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:14 pm

Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:55 pm

mayor quimby wrote:Idk why you said the NL race is more "wide open." the NL Cy race is much tighter.

Anyway, I think Weaver's name has to at least be mentioned in this thread, but I see Verlander going back to back.

Price is a very very close second, but I strongly agree with Mookie in that WHIP is a very important stat, which Verlander is beating price 1.01 to 1.07.

And even if Price has slightly better numbers when all is said and done, my vote goes to Verlander. He's just the best, plain and simple.

"Wide open" means that it's a tighter race... There's like 8 or 9 guys who could theoretically push to the forefront of the race with a string of very strong starts (though obviously certain guys are in better positions than others).

As for your last point, I don't think the Cy Young or MVP or any other yearly award should take into account career performance. While it would be hard to argue that Verlander is not the "best," the sole consideration should be who's been the best THIS YEAR.

Oh, also, Chris Sale pushed into the top 3/4 last night IMO. DOminant performance.
disgruntledjetsfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby WaCougMBS » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:12 pm

At this moment, for me, it's:

Felix
----------
Verlander
Price
----------
Weaver
Sale
----------

The rest
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby J35J » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:16 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:At this moment, for me, it's:

Felix
----------
Verlander
Price
----------
Weaver
Sale
----------

The rest

homer
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby WaCougMBS » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:21 pm

J35J wrote:
WaCougMBS wrote:At this moment, for me, it's:

Felix
----------
Verlander
Price
----------
Weaver
Sale
----------

The rest

Guilty, but right :-b

Honestly it's any of those top 3, and I won't be shocked at all any way it falls ...

homer
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mayor quimby » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:57 am

disgruntledjetsfan wrote:
mayor quimby wrote:Idk why you said the NL race is more "wide open." the NL Cy race is much tighter.

Anyway, I think Weaver's name has to at least be mentioned in this thread, but I see Verlander going back to back.

Price is a very very close second, but I strongly agree with Mookie in that WHIP is a very important stat, which Verlander is beating price 1.01 to 1.07.

And even if Price has slightly better numbers when all is said and done, my vote goes to Verlander. He's just the best, plain and simple.

"Wide open" means that it's a tighter race... There's like 8 or 9 guys who could theoretically push to the forefront of the race with a string of very strong starts (though obviously certain guys are in better positions than others).

As for your last point, I don't think the Cy Young or MVP or any other yearly award should take into account career performance. While it would be hard to argue that Verlander is not the "best," the sole consideration should be who's been the best THIS YEAR.

Oh, also, Chris Sale pushed into the top 3/4 last night IMO. DOminant performance.

Absolutely, the Cy shouldn't be determined based on career performance. But I wasn't really talking about career, I was talking about the factors that play into the decision besides pure stats. JV might not have the best line of stats when the year is done, but I would still consider him the best. Yeah Felix is just plain nasty and Price is electric but Verlander is a perfectionist. Just watching him work is aesthetically pleasing like no other.

And I think that if the race remains this close for the rest of the year, even if Price and King Felix etc. have slightly better stats than Verlander as they do currently, I would think that the Cy still goes to JV.

We can't forget that Verlander has 6 no decisions. In those no decisions he gave up 0, 4, 2, 2, 1, 3, respectively.

But one can never tell how the voting will go. If you take a look at the 2005 AL Cy voting, Bartolo Colon took the Cy from a much, much more deserving Johan Santana. I mean if you look at the number it'll drop your jaw. Still boggles my mind to this day.
mayor quimby
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:33 pm

[quote="WaCougMBS"]At this moment, for me, it's:

Felix
----------
Verlander
Price
----------
Weaver
Sale
----------
Sabathia

This but I think Sabathia is probably closer to Sale then than the field.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 118)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers