Melky Cabrera. fake website to try and avoid suspension - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Melky Cabrera. fake website to try and avoid suspension

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Melky Cabrera. fake website to try and avoid suspension

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:57 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:Melky could be punished more.
According to CBS Sports' Jon Heyman, Major League Baseball may pursue further penalty for Melky Cabrera.
Cabrera was suspended 50 games last week for testing positive for synthetic testosterone. Then a report Sunday in the New York Daily News revealed that he tried to dupe investigators during the appeals process by buying a website and creating a fake supplement. "All options are in play with this situation," says Heyman's source.


can they really punish him more? he broke a rule, and has been punished for that rule. even though the fake website was shady and bad, I don't think there is a specific rule against it. this isn't the NFL where you can punish someone just because it's against the game or whatever.

I can't see current rules stopping players from taking the chance and not getting caught. not when you're talking about many millions of dollars. before Melky was caught he was looking at a big contract. if he had been cauht after such a contract, I don't think there is anything the team could have done.

I would not be the least bit surprised if there's a rule against obstruction of justice, or whatever they want to call it. There certainly should be, if there isn't. Surprised guys like this don't get blackballed from the game the way Barry did. This guy cheated and created a fake website which he used in his appeal, and he'll probably be playing in October.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3077
(Past Year: 191)
Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Melky Cabrera. fake website to try and avoid suspension

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:58 pm

Ultimate boss move by the Melk Man here.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24802
(Past Year: 388)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: Melky Cabrera. fake website to try and avoid suspension

Postby SecretAgentMan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:45 am

Skin Blues wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:Melky could be punished more.
According to CBS Sports' Jon Heyman, Major League Baseball may pursue further penalty for Melky Cabrera.
Cabrera was suspended 50 games last week for testing positive for synthetic testosterone. Then a report Sunday in the New York Daily News revealed that he tried to dupe investigators during the appeals process by buying a website and creating a fake supplement. "All options are in play with this situation," says Heyman's source.


can they really punish him more? he broke a rule, and has been punished for that rule. even though the fake website was shady and bad, I don't think there is a specific rule against it. this isn't the NFL where you can punish someone just because it's against the game or whatever.

I can't see current rules stopping players from taking the chance and not getting caught. not when you're talking about many millions of dollars. before Melky was caught he was looking at a big contract. if he had been cauht after such a contract, I don't think there is anything the team could have done.

I would not be the least bit surprised if there's a rule against obstruction of justice, or whatever they want to call it. There certainly should be, if there isn't. Surprised guys like this don't get blackballed from the game the way Barry did. This guy cheated and created a fake website which he used in his appeal, and he'll probably be playing in October.


No lawyer but getting a prescription drug without a prescription is a crime. Falsifying records of such could be construed as obstruction of justice or fraud I would think. Creating a website on the internet for false products could be a violation of various interstate commerce and racketeering laws. Whether that is prosecutable in this case is dubious, but it certainly is unethical and I would think would be covered under whatever ethics clause he has in his contract (not that that matters since he does not have a multi-year deal and is already suspended for the remainder of the year).

Regardless, he obviously took them to turn himself from a spare part 4th OF into a top player and it will be interesting next season to see if anyone really wants to take the baggage on by signing him.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Response TeamFantasy Expert
Posts: 3726
(Past Year: 661)
Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Melky Cabrera. fake website to try and avoid suspension

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:02 pm

Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24802
(Past Year: 388)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: Melky Cabrera. fake website to try and avoid suspension

Postby Maris09 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:34 pm


I see a hit TV show in the making. Anyone busted for PED's gets banished to.......

Steroid Island
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2152
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 3 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Melky Cabrera. fake website to try and avoid suspension

Postby Element » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:34 pm

Maris09 wrote:

I see a hit TV show in the making. Anyone busted for PED's gets banished to.......

Steroid Island


Jeff Probst: Melky, if we cast you on the show are more you likely to play a hero or villain?

Melky: Thank you...
Image
Element
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4907
(Past Year: 793)
Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Melky Cabrera. fake website to try and avoid suspension

Postby bayside » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:42 pm

I dont know if its been discussed here yet or not, but for me the only interesting thing left with this entire ridiculous situation is, what are the Giants options as related to making a qualifying offer for draft pick compensation?
Before the scandal it was a given that if the Giants did not extend or resign him via FA, then at the very least they would make the qualifying offer to get an extra draft pick.
Even after the 50 game ban, theres been some debate about whether the Giants should still make the offer.
If Melky is banned for a greater length of time, how would that play out? can they make the offer even if hes banned for a whole season? Would they even have to actually pay him anything in that case?
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1344
Joined: 14 Jul 2011
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: WHOOOOOS got it better than us?

Re: Melky Cabrera. fake website to try and avoid suspension

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:15 pm

Image
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24802
(Past Year: 388)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: Melky Cabrera. fake website to try and avoid suspension

Postby ayebatter » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:34 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Image


It would mean more coming from RICK Sutcliffe ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 12112
(Past Year: 1428)
Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: I CAN SEE FOR MILES

Re: Melky Cabrera. fake website to try and avoid suspension

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:38 pm

ayebatter wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Image


It would mean more coming from RICK Sutcliffe ;-D
Sunnova... :-C
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24802
(Past Year: 388)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Jul. 23
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cleveland at Minnesota
(1:10 pm)
Kansas City at Chi White Sox
(2:10 pm)
Cincinnati at Milwaukee
(2:10 pm)
Washington at Colorado
(3:10 pm)
Detroit at Arizona
(3:40 pm)
NY Mets at Seattle
(3:40 pm)
LA Dodgers at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
San Francisco at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
Texas at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Miami at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Tampa Bay at St. Louis
(7:15 pm)
San Diego at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Baltimore at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(10:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact