Who will you never draft or trade for again? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who will you never draft or trade for again?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Who will you never draft or trade for again?

Postby J35J » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:51 am

Frenchiegangsta9 wrote:
Padsin05 wrote:Brett Gardner

I traded Hosmer for Gardner and Cuddyer, since Gardner was only supposed to be out 15 days in April, uhh dude is like dead apparently

That was a great trade for you. You couldnt have foreseen Gardner being out for the rest of the season and Cuddyer has been a pretty good value at 2B and MI. I'm sure everyone here has heard this before, mainly by Cory Schwartz at the 411: "Don't confuse the outcome with the decision."

At the beginning of the season I had Pujols, Upton, and Bautista on my keeper squad and was dead last in most offensive categories.

People confuse that all the time... :-°
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Padsin05 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:59 pm

J35J wrote:
Frenchiegangsta9 wrote:
Padsin05 wrote:Brett Gardner

I traded Hosmer for Gardner and Cuddyer, since Gardner was only supposed to be out 15 days in April, uhh dude is like dead apparently

That was a great trade for you. You couldnt have foreseen Gardner being out for the rest of the season and Cuddyer has been a pretty good value at 2B and MI. I'm sure everyone here has heard this before, mainly by Cory Schwartz at the 411: "Don't confuse the outcome with the decision."

At the beginning of the season I had Pujols, Upton, and Bautista on my keeper squad and was dead last in most offensive categories.

People confuse that all the time... :-°

Cuddyer is only 1b/OF but yah hes actually been better then Hosmer, but I really did the deal cause I needed another speed guy to pair with Crawford (ugh). Hosmer was addition by subtraction. Overall the deal was fine, I have no complaints.

I was merely complaining because Brett Gardner has apparantly died, and I will never have him on one of my teams because of this, which was the topic of the thread.
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 13)

Postby Izenhart » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:42 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:
Izenhart wrote:I think it's hard to say who I'll be avoiding based on what I project their ADP to be next season. The thing is I don't know yet. There are certainly players that if faced with taking I may cringe a little - like if I fail to get a top 3B and am starting at either Youkilis or Prado late in the draft. Going by position these are the guys I think will be ranked too high purely on speculation

C - Santana, McCann
1B - Teixeira, Howard, Trumbo
2B - Pedroia, Uggla, Zobrist (to a lesser extent Michael Young and Kendrick)
3B - Arod, Sandoval
SS - Tulo, Reyes
OF - Ellsbury, Bourn, Beltran, Stanton

Pitching I'll hold my opinions until the offseason, but one guy I never want to touch again is Johan Santana.

Where do you think Carlos Santana is going to be ranked? If its where he was this year then yes that is probably overvalued (although his season was basically ruined due to his concussion)... I'm just curious where you think he will be drafted next year that will cause him to be overvalued. I think he makes for a fine 7th or 8th round pick given his upside and the ability to play 1B to get him more AB's than most catchers.

I'm guessing he falls to the 8th or 9th rounds next year, which will still be too high for me. He's just another Arencibia to me, and I'd rather leave them on the WW and use them for fill ins/hot streaks.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 301)

Postby mayor quimby » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:07 pm

Longoria. What a bum.
mayor quimby
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 14)

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:15 pm

Izenhart wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:
Izenhart wrote:I think it's hard to say who I'll be avoiding based on what I project their ADP to be next season. The thing is I don't know yet. There are certainly players that if faced with taking I may cringe a little - like if I fail to get a top 3B and am starting at either Youkilis or Prado late in the draft. Going by position these are the guys I think will be ranked too high purely on speculation

C - Santana, McCann
3B - Arod, Sandoval
SS - Tulo, Reyes

Pitching I'll hold my opinions until the offseason, but one guy I never want to touch again is Johan Santana.

Where do you think Carlos Santana is going to be ranked? If its where he was this year then yes that is probably overvalued (although his season was basically ruined due to his concussion)... I'm just curious where you think he will be drafted next year that will cause him to be overvalued. I think he makes for a fine 7th or 8th round pick given his upside and the ability to play 1B to get him more AB's than most catchers.

I'm guessing he falls to the 8th or 9th rounds next year, which will still be too high for me. He's just another Arencibia to me, and I'd rather leave them on the WW and use them for fill ins/hot streaks.

He's not really that much like Arencibia. Low BA, yeah, but much better plate discipline and overall a much better hitter.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 191)

Postby NikkiSixx » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:15 pm

Izenhart wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:

C - Santana, McCann
3B - Arod, Sandoval
SS - Tulo, Reyes

Interesting. I think with his power, and a little more luck in the babip department, he can be a .270 30 HR guy. I actually strongly believe he will hit 30 home runs multiple times in his career.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby Izenhart » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:41 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:
Izenhart wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:Where do you think Carlos Santana is going to be ranked? If its where he was this year then yes that is probably overvalued (although his season was basically ruined due to his concussion)... I'm just curious where you think he will be drafted next year that will cause him to be overvalued. I think he makes for a fine 7th or 8th round pick given his upside and the ability to play 1B to get him more AB's than most catchers.

Interesting. I think with his power, and a little more luck in the babip department, he can be a .270 30 HR guy. I actually strongly believe he will hit 30 home runs multiple times in his career.

I still believe he has that potential, but I'm not paying upside value for him until I see improvements from one season to the next. While his BB/K ratio went from 97/133 to 71/77, his power has declined while his BA hasn't improved. He's also dealing with a minor concussion and has been banged up quite a bit in the past 3 seasons. I think there will be too many people pushing is improvement in BB/K and saying next year will be the year he breaks out. I'll pass.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 301)

Postby wrveres » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:25 pm

Colby Rasmus!
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 744)

Postby OBPlover » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:49 pm

To answer the Thread's question. "Nobody"

Emotion is the enemy to rational thought. It's like a poker game and once you exclude any individuals because of their past, you are just going on tilt.

I got burned by Hosmer this year. However if he lasts until the late rounds next year due to this year's failures, I'd gamble.

In fact I don't really see how any player with less than 3 year's experience could be added to such a list at all.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 120)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers