Who will you never draft or trade for again? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who will you never draft or trade for again?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Who will you never draft or trade for again?

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:50 am

Justin Upton is pretty far and away in first for me here right now. I'm hoping he has a great 2013 season just so I can flip the guy in my keeper league.

I also agree on Uggla/Tex. Yovani Gallardo is another guy I have no interest in owning, consistently taken in the 6th-7th round only to end up being worth a 11th-12th round pick. I'm also not bothering with Rasmus anymore as a OF3 with upside.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chargerss24 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:52 am

clarkw267 wrote:Me and Justin Upton won't be on speaking terms for quite some time. 9 HRs, and 13 SBs to go along with a bad Avg. Great waste of a 2nd round pick.

I'm just as disappointed in J. Upton as you are, but I have a sneaky feeling that his thumb isn't 100%. I'm going to give him one more year (That is, if I keep him at a discounted price) to see if he can at least go back to being the 30-20 guy he was last year.

I kept him this year over Joey Votto and Andrew McCutchen. Big :-t :-t :-t to me. %-6
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby kaiser » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:40 pm

chargerss24 wrote:
I kept him this year over Joey Votto and Andrew McCutchen. Big :-t :-t :-t to me. %-6

Oh man, that is painful just to read.

But I agree that one more year with JUp is not a bad idea, if it doesn't cost you full price. He still could easily take it to the next level. But that is a song we've sung before...
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 308)

Postby jebnasty99 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:29 pm

Broxton and thank god Lidge is gone.
jebnasty99
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:30 am

Zack Greinke. Its been frustrating as hell having him. For his career, his ERA is pretty close to his SIERA but the past 3 seasons, not so much. He's got Francisco Liriano disease, just loses his head and falls apart too often. Lost a few pitchers to season ending injuries, and relied on Greinke and Cliff Lee to carry me in the second half. That hasn't turned out so well. Thank god for Chris Capuano. So Zack Greinke... good riddance. Now he'll probably post a 2.50 ERA, 20 wins, and 250 Ks next season. Just to spite me.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 120)

Postby Ellsberries » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:53 am

Uh, Cameron Maybin. I don't care how fast someone is, if they can't hit, they can't run. Same goes for Drew Stubbs, but at least his average is a few points above the Mendoza line.

Oh, and Ugh-gla.
Ellsberries
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Tennessee Jed » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:41 am

Skin Blues wrote:Zack Greinke. Its been frustrating as hell having him. For his career, his ERA is pretty close to his SIERA but the past 3 seasons, not so much. He's got Francisco Liriano disease, just loses his head and falls apart too often. Lost a few pitchers to season ending injuries, and relied on Greinke and Cliff Lee to carry me in the second half. That hasn't turned out so well. Thank god for Chris Capuano. So Zack Greinke... good riddance. Now he'll probably post a 2.50 ERA, 20 wins, and 250 Ks next season. Just to spite me.

Agreed. Traded Allen Craig and Jarrod Parker for Greinke back in June. I had Kipnis, figured he'd at least maintain his pace somewhat. Thought I replaced the hole Beachy left me... boy was I wrong. :-[
Tennessee Jed
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby kaiser » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:18 am

Tennessee Jed wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:Zack Greinke. Its been frustrating as hell having him. For his career, his ERA is pretty close to his SIERA but the past 3 seasons, not so much. He's got Francisco Liriano disease, just loses his head and falls apart too often. Lost a few pitchers to season ending injuries, and relied on Greinke and Cliff Lee to carry me in the second half. That hasn't turned out so well. Thank god for Chris Capuano. So Zack Greinke... good riddance. Now he'll probably post a 2.50 ERA, 20 wins, and 250 Ks next season. Just to spite me.

Agreed. Traded Allen Craig and Jarrod Parker for Greinke back in June. I had Kipnis, figured he'd at least maintain his pace somewhat. Thought I replaced the hole Beachy left me... boy was I wrong. :-[

Yeah, I hate to say it, but I have to agree with Grienke as well. The guy has done zilch in the second half.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AHF » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:14 am

I'm not sure people are really answering the original question or if I am just not understanding it. Francisco Liriano is a guy I can see people saying they will never take again - even if he is available and you have the last selection in the draft. Justin Upton is a guy every person on this thread will draft or trade for. The question is about price. (They might not take him in the first 4 rounds, etc. but if he is healthy and sitting there in round 15 are they really passing?)

Zach Grienke. You won't take him in round 17 next year? Please.

I also wonder how many people listed Adam Dunn on this thread last year.

The most disappointing person on my teams this season has been Eric Hosmer. I am excited to see him round next year, though.

I can't think of any people (anyone?) that I just absolutely wouldn't draft or trade for again in the last round of the draft if the circumstances were right. Mark Reynolds, for example, is someone I dropped this year and have no desire to see again. But if he goes off next preseason and is there at the end of my draft you can believe I will be taking a last round flyer on him.
AHF
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby kaiser » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:33 am

I hear what you are saying, AHF, and you make some good points. My intent with the original post was not really to say, "I'll never take this guy again, as long as I live." Of course, if the price is right, you would be foolish to pass on someone like Upton or Uggla. My point was to try to indentify those guys who, if they come to you at their average draft spot, your past experience of owning them over one or many seasons will make you say, "I think I'll pass and take the next guy on the list.

I know this an imperfect example, but here it goes anyway. According to ESPN live draft results for 2012, Justin Upton's ADP was 13.2. Next on the list was Prince Fielder at 13.5 and Evan Longoria at 14.1. In my next draft, for the 2013 season if I find myself at pick number 13 with Upton, Fielder and Longoria still on the board, I would almost certainly take Fielder or Longoria over Upton.

Now, if Upton is still there in the third round, yes, of course I am taking him.

I know it is an imperfect example, but it's the best I can do right now.

Discuss...
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers