Who are you avoiding next year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who are you avoiding next year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Who are you avoiding next year?

Postby kab21 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:25 am

Izenhart wrote:
kab21 wrote:McCutchen - the avg will fall back to .300 but he's a .300, 20+/20+ player that could go 30+/30+


His career average coming into this season was .276 - there's quite the possibility he falls well below .300 next season.


I'll revise my expectation to .290 then. I'm still picking him.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5287
(Past Year: 518)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who are you avoiding next year?

Postby NikkiSixx » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:49 pm

kab21 wrote:
Izenhart wrote:
kab21 wrote:McCutchen - the avg will fall back to .300 but he's a .300, 20+/20+ player that could go 30+/30+


His career average coming into this season was .276 - there's quite the possibility he falls well below .300 next season.


I'll revise my expectation to .290 then. I'm still picking him.

I don't think the McCutchen of the last 3 years should be compared to the player that he has become today. If I drafted McCutchen I would fully expect him to hit over .300. Last year when he hit .259 it was due to an awful 2nd half slump that I wouldn't expect from him again. I think .315 25/25 is a fair guess for next season give or take 5 hr/sb. I think he's a top 25 player either way though. I would take McCutchen in round 1 with confidence.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2478
(Past Year: 351)
Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 1st place!

Re: Who are you avoiding next year?

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:07 pm

just regressing him back to his xBABIP this year his average falls to .320

if that xBABIP falls back a little towards his career levels (which includes this years), his average falls to .304

you also have to assume that his HR/FB isn't gonna remain as high as it is, and while that will probably be made up somewhat as his FB% regresses, he's likely to lose some power (even with a 15% HR/FB this year that's about 4-5 homeruns less). Losing those homeruns could also mean losing some hits as fly balls that don't leave the park are pretty likely to get caught.

I'd put him at about .300-85-25-100-20 which is very good but probably not a first round pick.
Image
25
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 14026
(Past Year: 810)
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: BUSTER HATH ARRIVED

Re: Who are you avoiding next year?

Postby RedHopeful » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:36 pm

GoldRush wrote:Encarnacion, Willingham, Gio Gonzalez

To start, I agree with this trio.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3262
(Past Year: 159)
Joined: 11 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Hank Aaron's backyard

Re: Who are you avoiding next year?

Postby exm » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:52 pm

A Rios
C Santana
C Young
T Hanson
exm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 505
(Past Year: 132)
Joined: 22 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who are you avoiding next year?

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:14 pm

exm wrote:A Rios
C Santana
C Young
T Hanson


Why Chris Young? After this year, I would think his ADP will be way down and he could be a decent guy to try to take a late round flyer on.
Image

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3538
(Past Year: 133)
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Who are you avoiding next year?

Postby exm » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:35 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
exm wrote:A Rios
C Santana
C Young
T Hanson


Why Chris Young? After this year, I would think his ADP will be way down and he could be a decent guy to try to take a late round flyer on.


I can't deal with his cold streaks anymore.
exm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 505
(Past Year: 132)
Joined: 22 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who are you avoiding next year?

Postby NikkiSixx » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:15 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:just regressing him back to his xBABIP this year his average falls to .320

if that xBABIP falls back a little towards his career levels (which includes this years), his average falls to .304

you also have to assume that his HR/FB isn't gonna remain as high as it is, and while that will probably be made up somewhat as his FB% regresses, he's likely to lose some power (even with a 15% HR/FB this year that's about 4-5 homeruns less). Losing those homeruns could also mean losing some hits as fly balls that don't leave the park are pretty likely to get caught.

I'd put him at about .300-85-25-100-20 which is very good but probably not a first round pick.

But even if he does post that, I wouldn't be disappointed it he posted those numbers and was my first round pick. He's on the lower half of my top 10, buy he's definitely first round material.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2478
(Past Year: 351)
Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 1st place!

Re: Who are you avoiding next year?

Postby ayebatter » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:58 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Why Chris Young? After this year, I would think his ADP will be way down and he could be a decent guy to try to take a late round flyer on.


Hell I had Young as a 19th round keeper this year, and I'm not sure I'll keep him next year.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11814
(Past Year: 1599)
Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: I CAN SEE FOR MILES

Re: Who are you avoiding next year?

Postby Izenhart » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:47 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:just regressing him back to his xBABIP this year his average falls to .320

if that xBABIP falls back a little towards his career levels (which includes this years), his average falls to .304

you also have to assume that his HR/FB isn't gonna remain as high as it is, and while that will probably be made up somewhat as his FB% regresses, he's likely to lose some power (even with a 15% HR/FB this year that's about 4-5 homeruns less). Losing those homeruns could also mean losing some hits as fly balls that don't leave the park are pretty likely to get caught.

I'd put him at about .300-85-25-100-20 which is very good but probably not a first round pick.

But even if he does post that, I wouldn't be disappointed it he posted those numbers and was my first round pick. He's on the lower half of my top 10, buy he's definitely first round material.


I agree, he has shown this year that his upside is quite high, and he doesn't carry the injury prone tag a lot of other guys do. Theres a chance he could be next year's Justin Upton, but I highly doubt it.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1584
(Past Year: 529)
Joined: 22 Mar 2012
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Big Papiville

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: germani40, unioreimi and 12 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Apr. 16
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Atlanta at Atlanta
(12:35 pm)
NY Yankees at NY Yankees
(12:35 pm)
Chi Cubs at Chi Cubs
(1:05 pm)
Detroit at Detroit
(1:10 pm)
Cleveland at Cleveland
(3:40 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:05 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Texas
(7:05 pm)
Kansas City at Houston
(7:08 pm)
Toronto at Minnesota
(7:10 pm)
Boston at Chi White Sox
(8:05 pm)
LA Angels at LA Angels
(8:10 pm)
Oakland at Oakland
(8:10 pm)
San Diego at San Diego
(8:10 pm)
Colorado at Colorado
(10:05 pm)
San Francisco at San Francisco
(10:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at LA Dodgers
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact