This shouldn't be vetoed, should it? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

This shouldn't be vetoed, should it?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

This shouldn't be vetoed, should it?

Postby MurrayKy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:41 am

20-team dynasty where we keep 25/29. Hitting cats include H, 2B, 3B, R, AVG, HR, RBI, K, BB, SB, CS.

A team in 16th, with really not much of a chance of making it this year, traded Hanley Ramirez and Wei-Yin Chen for Carlos Lee, Michael Young and Rex Brothers to a team in 8th, who will most likely make the playoffs (top 12 make it).

The team in 8th could replace Young with HanRam, move Cespedes to LF to cover for Lee, and put Harper at CF for Cespedes. Trade makes perfect sense for him.

The team in 16th upgrades from Nyjer Morgan to Lee at LF, and replaces HanRam with Young.

Both owners have expressed dismay in it being vetoed, and want the trade to happen. I don't see any signs of collusion.

While I agree this trade is a bit lopsided, especially in a dynasty, it shouldn't be vetoed should it? The league already reached majority in a veto vote.
MurrayKy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: This shouldn't be vetoed, should it?

Postby pungent » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:28 pm

This deal is definitely lopsided, but in our league trades aren't up for votes. If both parties feel they are in agreement and they get who they want, then who's to say differently...? We DO NOT veto trades no matter the outcome in dynasty format.

Help - viewtopic.php?t=451845
pungent
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Seanyfever » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:41 pm

pungent wrote:This deal is definitely lopsided, but in our league trades aren't up for votes. If both parties feel they are in agreement and they get who they want, then who's to say differently...? We DO NOT veto trades no matter the outcome in dynasty format.

Help - viewtopic.php?t=451845

^^^ We run our league likewise. Though this trade seems to have a definite winner.
Expos... Gone, but not forgotten.
Seanyfever
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team
(Past Year: 249)

Postby baegames » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:45 pm

pungent wrote:This deal is definitely lopsided, but in our league trades aren't up for votes. If both parties feel they are in agreement and they get who they want, then who's to say differently...? We DO NOT veto trades no matter the outcome in dynasty format.

Agree wholeheartedly.

Help with mine:

viewtopic.php?t=451855
baegames
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 141)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:36 am

Come on. Michael Young and Carlos Lee? Both are likely going to retire soon. For HRam? How can that be justified in a Dynasty league where the team getting HRam no less is the better team and the team trading HRam should be building for next year. Then add in Chen to boot? That smacks of collusion\someone helping his buddy out and it should go down imo. Caveat emptor in fantasy leagues is for people that think that it is OK to have a season ruined for the bulk of the owners because someone wants to help his buddy out to win or it is somehow the mark of fantasy baseball skill to be able find the league moron and make some ridiculous deal with them. It isn't. The commish was right to intervene for the integrity of the league imo. There is no sound justification for that deal.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 658)

Postby Darth Danielus » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:39 am

I agree with the above. Never ever ever veto trades, without definite proof of underhandedness. Thats an awful trade for sure, and might beg closer inspection, but unless you think they're cheating, it shouldn't be veto'd.

If someone is in the habit of being on the wrong side of crappy trades, it might be time for them to be replaced.

Help with mine?
viewtopic.php?t=451824
Darth Danielus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SecretAgentMan » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:03 am

Darth Danielus wrote:I agree with the above. Never ever ever veto trades, without definite proof of underhandedness. Thats an awful trade for sure, and might beg closer inspection, but unless you think they're cheating, it shouldn't be veto'd.

If someone is in the habit of being on the wrong side of crappy trades, it might be time for them to be replaced.

Help with mine?
viewtopic.php?t=451824

How do you prove collusion? You going to tap the owners phones or hack into their emails? Realistically, this is just not practical and common sense needs to apply when evaluating trades. There is no justification for this deal at any level and the commish (other owners depending on league rules) has every right to step in based on that.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 658)

Postby Darth Danielus » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:42 am

Sometimes the terribleness of the deal is proof in itself. I'd ass the guy why he made the trade -- if he/she has no real answer, then it could be vetoable. But pretty sure I'd instantly quit any league that vetoed one of my trades, even if everyone thought I was on the losing end. How do you tell someone (especially in a money league) that they can't run their team the way they see fit?

All this sorta assumes a league populated with people who know each other - in a public league, or one with complete strangers, I guess its a different story.
Darth Danielus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions