NL Cy Young - Who will it be? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

NL Cy Young - Who will it be?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: NL Cy Young - Who will it be?

Postby thatguy27 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:13 am

footballisbetter.com wrote:Cueto tied for the lead league in wins, and best in ERA. But I think Chapman is definitely going to be in contention. It's crazy to think that Chapman has more K's this year then Jared Weaver (who seems to be the favorite for the AL Cy Young).

I think Felix is easily the favorite in the AL right now. 5 CG SO's, 4 CG 1-0 victories, perfect game, leader in IP, among the leaders in K's, WHIP, ERA, and should actually finish with a respectable win total. It's Felix's to lose right now and I don't think it's close. Sure, overall his numbers are very similar to Verlander's, and of course Price is in the discussion (I think Weaver has recently pitched his way out of the discussion, at least for now), but I think the perfecto and the 4 1-0 victories are really going to stand out for voters.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby OBPlover » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:43 pm

Cueto deserves it and it's not even close.

He pitches in a hitter's park, one that is very easy to hit Home Runs in and yet has one of the best HR/9 stats in baseball. Ok so his K/ip isn't the greatest, it is still solid. He's not a fluke.

The only other pitcher that comes close is Wade Miley.

No one in SF deserves it, Cain or Bum.

Now you might look at his Home/Away spilts and see Cueto's are pretty even. But who is to say that Cueto might have had better stats at home, pitching in a friendlier park? Very good could have become spectacular.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 118)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:24 am

OBPlover wrote:The only other pitcher that comes close is Wade Miley.

lol wat
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:43 am

Who's this Clayton Kershaw guy? Never heard of him. RA Dickey? Sounds made-up.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby octagon999 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:57 am

Look at it another way; from a hitter's/manager's perspective. It's game 7 of the world series. Who's the last guy you want to see walk in the park and take the mound?

I think Kershaw would be the name that pops in my head first.
octagon999
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby OBPlover » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:37 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Who's this Clayton Kershaw guy? Never heard of him. RA Dickey? Sounds made-up.

Kershaw, Dickey, Bum, Cain = pitcher's park, in some of those cases, extreme pitcher's park. Doesn't matter a lick for fantasy. In fact, it's something to always look at when ranking pitchers. But in real life baseball, it's a major factor.

Cueto - not a pitcher's park, a good hitter's park, a great one in terms of the long ball. But Cueto's HR/9 is one of the best in the NL. But the Reds' hitters get that additional opprtunity to get HRs to help the REDS win.

Surely there is some point where park matters? If someone duplicated Kershaw's pitching stats last year but did so in Colorado, then that would have to be worth more would it not?
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby OBPlover » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:41 pm

octagon999 wrote:Look at it another way; from a hitter's/manager's perspective. It's game 7 of the world series. Who's the last guy you want to see walk in the park and take the mound?

I think Kershaw would be the name that pops in my head first.

Maybe.

But it is totally irrelevant as the CY Young award goes to this best pitcher in the regular season only.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:53 pm

octagon999 wrote:Look at it another way; from a hitter's/manager's perspective. It's game 7 of the world series. Who's the last guy you want to see walk in the park and take the mound? I think Kershaw would be the name that pops in my head first.

This is irrelevant - Cy Young is not given to the one with the nastiest stuff or who you'd most want in a specific game, its who pitched best during this entire regular season.

Mookie4ever wrote:I wouldn't feel right voting for a knuckleballer.

Eh - I hate this logic/mindset/bias. Who cares how a guy is getting the job done? If anything a knuckleballer should be given bonus points - he's throwing a pitch 75 mph for cripes sake. By this logic, guys who rely heavily on a good breaking ball shouldn't win a Cy Young.

OBPlover wrote:Cueto deserves it and it's not even close.

Not even CLOSE??? 8-o How about the fact that Cueto has way fewer strikeouts than any of the guys being mentioned? And a significantly higher WHIP?

OBPlover wrote:Kershaw, Dickey, Bum, Cain = pitcher's park, in some of those cases, extreme pitcher's park. Doesn't matter a lick for fantasy. In fact, it's something to always look at when ranking pitchers. But in real life baseball, it's a major factor. Cueto - not a pitcher's park, a good hitter's park, a great one in terms of the long ball. But Cueto's HR/9 is one of the best in the NL. But the Reds' hitters get that additional opprtunity to get HRs to help the REDS win. Surely there is some point where park matters? If someone duplicated Kershaw's pitching stats last year but did so in Colorado, then that would have to be worth more would it not?

I think you are putting a little too much weight (and by a little, I mean a TON) on park factor. Cincinnati is not exactly Coors field circa 1995. Sure, if you want to give Cueto and Miley a small bump for pitching in a hitters field, and vice versa for the guys who pitch in poor hitters field, that's valid... but its not that huge of a factor.

I think the two best candidates right now are Kershaw and Dickey, but man, Strasburg's K-rate is ridonkulous.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:14 pm

Strasburg is easily the best starting pitcher, but he won't have nearly enough innings to compete with guys like Kershaw and Dickey.

And yeah park factor plays a role, but not nearly to the extent that Cueto and Miley are the only viable options.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby Izenhart » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:03 pm

CY Young to me is defined as the most valuable pitcher in the league. I think that's Cueto. K's are overvalued (it's just a specified out) and to me consistency of giving your team a chance to win the most times out of all your starts is big to me. Only 4 times in 27 starts has he allowed more than 3 runs, earned or not, with a high of 6 (5 earned) and in those 4 games he won two of them. His ERA is low because he prevents scoring with a low home run rate, which is why he doesn't need a WHIP of 0.99 to succeed in keeping runs off the board like power pitchers do.

There's still a month to play but he's the clear favorite right now for me.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 294)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers