NL Cy Young - Who will it be? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

NL Cy Young - Who will it be?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

NL Cy Young - Who will it be?

Postby thatguy27 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:02 pm

With 3 of the usual suspects--Halladay, Lee and LIncecum--either having sub-par seasons or being hampered by injuries, or both, the battle for the NL Cy Young should be interesting.

The candidates, IMO, include Dickey, Bumgarner, Kershaw, Cain, Hamels, Cueto, Chapman, Strasburg, Gio, and Zimmerman.

Now, if I had to limit it to a top 5, it would probably be: Dickey, Bumgarner, Kershaw, Chapman, and Cueto (Hamels was a very close 6th, and I would have included Strasburg if not for his eventual innings cap).

So, what do you guys think? Who would/should win it if the season ended today? Who do you expect will win it when all is said and done?

IMO, it will come down to Bumgarner and Kershaw, as I expect Dickey to fade down the stretch and see his ERA and WHIP continue to climb. However, I can't help but see Chapman as the wild card in this discussion. He is, quite simply, having one of the most dominant seasons of all time.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: NL Cy Young - Who will it be?

Postby bayside » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:09 pm

Not that it should matter whatsoever, but I have a feeling the Melky scandal is going to make the voters shy away from Cain and Bumgarner.
Seems stupid, but its something that a lot of these ignorant voters would totally do.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Izenhart » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:13 pm

Cain and Bumgarner will take votes away from each other and make it interesting. I can see Cueto sneaking in unexpectedly if that happens.

To pick one tho, if I had to choose now I'd say Cueto is the guy getting my vote.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 293)

Postby J35J » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:31 pm

Kershaw, Bum, Cain are my top 3 but they are so close...and there are others that are close(Hamels, Dickey, etc). With so many that are close, it could be any of 5-6 guys so it's hard to say right now.

If it ended right now I very very slightly would lean to Bum
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby mayor quimby » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:45 pm

I think the number of wins that Cueto has inflates his candidacy for the Cy. When you have guys who have WHIPs like 1.01 (Kershaw, Bumgarner), 1.03 (Cain), 1.04 (Dickey), It's hard to give the Cy to a guy with a 1.16 WHIP. I think also, when you have guys that have a k/9 at or above the 9 mark, you can't give it to a guy with a 7.1.

And in my opinion, if you're considering Chapman, I think you might also have to consider Kimbrel. Although, I can see favoring Chapman with the ridiculous K rate, but you do have to take into account that Kimbrel has a lower ERA and WHIP and he's likely to end the season with more saves. Chapman also has 4 blown saves in 32 opportunites, Kimbrel has only 2 blown saves in 33 opportunities.

If the season ended right now: Dickey

My prediction for the actual winner: Kershaw
mayor quimby
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby ayebatter » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:10 am

Dickey, and I don't think he has too tough of a schedule to close it out: should look something like this:
Col @ home
Hou @ home
Miami away
StL away
Wash @ home
Mil away
Miami @ home
Pit @ home
Mia away
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:20 am

I made a thread about him, and I'll continue to talk him up here: it should be Jordan Zimmermann. He's completely overshadowed on that Nats team, but he has the best ERA in the NL, and he's been unbelievably consistent. He's only had 1 bad start all year, and he simply gives the team the best chance to win the game (which is saying a lot on a team with Stras and Gio).

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:23 am

ayebatter wrote:Dickey, and I don't think he has too tough of a schedule to close it out: should look something like this:
Col @ home
Hou @ home
Miami away
StL away
Wash @ home
Mil away
Miami @ home
Pit @ home
Mia away
The Mets as a team should unfortunately hurt his chances.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Postby mayor quimby » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:53 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I made a thread about him, and I'll continue to talk him up here: it should be Jordan Zimmermann. He's completely overshadowed on that Nats team, but he has the best ERA in the NL, and he's been unbelievably consistent. He's only had 1 bad start all year, and he simply gives the team the best chance to win the game (which is saying a lot on a team with Stras and Gio).

As stellar as he's been, he's not going to have a chance with guys who will be 20+ game winners as well as 225+ K guys. Lincecum and Felix won it with 15 and 13 wins, respectively, but their ridiculous strikeout ratios and their awful teams made up for their record. Zimmerman can't use either of those excuses. Although he did get some horrendous run support pretty much the whole year.
mayor quimby
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby MurrayKy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:02 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I made a thread about him, and I'll continue to talk him up here: it should be Jordan Zimmermann. He's completely overshadowed on that Nats team, but he has the best ERA in the NL, and he's been unbelievably consistent. He's only had 1 bad start all year, and he simply gives the team the best chance to win the game (which is saying a lot on a team with Stras and Gio).

Agreed, and I'm gonna put some more emphasis on his consistency.

20 of his 24 starts have been quality starts, and the other three starts have been 5.2IP for 2ER, 5IP for 4ER, and 6IP for 4ER twice. Not horrible starts by any means, and except for the 5IP for 4ER start, those were all almost QS too.

Couple that NL-leading 2.38 ERA with a 5th-best 1.08 WHIP and a 4.22 K/BB, and I think it should be him.

He may not have the run support in order to get 20 wins, or the high K/9, but his stats are absurd right now.
MurrayKy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers