Is this a fair offer? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Is this a fair offer? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is this a fair offer? WHIR

Postby HoneyNutIchiros11 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:43 pm

The last place team in my league said he'd make a trade with me (in third place, 4 games back, was in first for most of the season) to give me his bigger name guys so one of our other friends doesn't win the championship (he knows too much about baseball so it would be pretty funny lol), but I want to make it a fair deal still so it doesn't get rejected, and so I don't cheat my way to winning the championship....

I've lost in most offensive categories except for R,SB, RBI and K in the last 2-3 weeks. I usually win runs by a few each week and have a pretty damn good record over the season, SB I've been dominating lately and have gotten 63 in the last 7 weeks, K I pretty much haven't lost the whole year, and I get solid RBI contribution across my roster. HR and XBH seem to be lacking a bit, especially HR which I haven't gotten much at all of in the last couple of weeks and I find that a bit concerning so I think getting some help there wouldn't hurt.

My team:
8 Team Head-to-Head Yahoo Non-Keeper League- R,H,HR,RBI,SB,K,E,XBH,IP,W,SV,K,ERA
C-Mauer(1B)
1B-Encarnation(3B)
2B-Kipnis
3B-D. Wright
SS-Rutledge
OF-Kemp
OF-Braun
OF-Holliday
Utility-Lawrie(3B)(DL)
Utility-Pedroia(2B)
DL-Desmond(SS)
SP-Weaver
SP-Strasburg
SP-Wainwright
SP-Fister
RP-Motte
RP-n/a
Bench-Lohse
Bench-Kuroda
Bench-Shields
DL-Morrow

So I'm thinking of offering: Mauer, Kipnis, Lawrie, Strasburg, Kuroda for Posey, Fielder, Cliff Lee, Joel Hanrahan. He has like four guys on the DL and both of his roster's DL spots are filled, so he could drop a couple of injured players and have Kipnis and Lawrie playing within the next week hopefully, he'll get an ace for a few more starts along with a pretty solid SP, and a similar catcher. I'll get a top guy to fill my RP spot, a struggling pitcher, a slightly better catcher and a high end 1B, plus I can bring back a DL player without having to drop a guy, or even pick up a guy for a few games until one of them do come back.

Is that a pretty fair offer or do I have to give up more for those four guys in return? Or am I possibly giving too much (I doubt it though)? :-S

Leave your links and I'll help you out :-)

One more note... The Mike Trout owner in the league said Weaver would be what he wanted (his SP aren't the greatest, they're solid, but nothing spectacular for sure). I know I should be keeping Weaver for the year, but would it be worth it to ask for his best pitcher in Vogelsong and Trout for Weaver +1 weaker player on my team?

Thanks again in advance!
HoneyNutIchiros11
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is this a fair offer? WHIR

Postby dcmove2003 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:57 pm

My opinion is that is not close to an even deal. Posey is easily the best catcher (and on fire right now). Cliff Lee has pitched fairly well this year despite his record. Not his normal form, but not awful either. And Fielder is a beast. Plus Hamrahan is one of the best, safest closers. The only real thing you're givng up is Strasburg, but his value drops and drops as he gets closer to shutdown day.

Knowing your counterparts motives somewhat skews my opinion since this is classic case of collusion. He's trading not to help his own cause but to hurt someone else and help you win. I would throw that guy out of the league if it were my league.

I would absolutely trade Weaver for Trout in your case. What I would probably do is throw in Holliday and get his best pitcher back. Trout for Weaver is very fair in itself. Having him throw in Vogelsong on top of that is not. If I owned Trout, I'd probably ask YOU to throw someone else in, but the 1:1 deal there is fair. Only downside is that without Strasburg, your pitching does become a bit week, which is why I'd try my best to deal Strasburg for another pitcher or deal Strasburg and one of your top OFs for a guy like Verlander, Kershaw, etc.

Can you help me? viewtopic.php?t=451731
dcmove2003
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 68)

Postby HoneyNutIchiros11 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:22 am

That's what I was afraid of :-o he hasn't done anything yet, nobody's made any trades all season btw, so really he just isn't paying attention to his team at all and we all decided he's not in the league next year for sure so that's been taken care of in a sense. Is there any way I'd be able to switch that deal up to make it close? I have a hard time coming up with even offers sometimes, I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from though as everyone kinda does the same thing to certain extents!

The Trout owner has said multiple times that if I wanted him, Weaver has to be in the deal so I think he'd do those two straight up.

To get another top pitcher, I was thinking of going for Kershaw and an infielder for Strasburg and an outfielder (obviously Holliday because I'd only trade Braun or Kemp in straight up deals for top pitchers) or David Wright possibly?

If I can get the Trout deal for sure then I'd definitely send out an OF

EDIT: Also, what do you think of Fister? I just picked him up today and he seems legit since the all star break..
HoneyNutIchiros11
College Coach
College Coach

Postby HoneyNutIchiros11 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:23 pm

bump
HoneyNutIchiros11
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions