Help me understand FAAB...with Daily Transactions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Help me understand FAAB...with Daily Transactions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help me understand FAAB...with Daily Transactions

Postby MorseOverTaveras » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:06 pm

So I know that Yahoo has just rolled out a FAAB system that's similar to ESPN's, in which all players stay on waivers forever and must be bidded on using FAAB before they can be acquired. However, I realize that the majority of leagues that use this system have a weekly deadline in which bids must be submitted.

However, my league is a daily transaction league and I need to have this clarified before we implement this next year. So say, I set my DAILY deadline to midnight PST, in which all bids must be submitted prior to this. So then, how do our managers go about setting their lineups for the next day - when they don't know if they have acquired a player yet? I say this because most of managers check box scores and set their lineups the night before and never the morning of. I'm afraid implementing something like this would take away the activity of some of my managers, since daily acquisitions are no longer "instant" and they can't really set their lineup with the changes already made.
MorseOverTaveras
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Help me understand FAAB...with Daily Transactions

Postby bigmck » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:27 pm

It is the same thing with waivers, they are not instant. == In answer to your question, the only way to know is to check in the morning. My league uses it on CBS. It runs everyday and the system works really good. What I do is take it upon myself as Commish to check the site every morning. It doesn't take long. If an Owner has won an OF and dropped a 1B, his positions might not match unless he switches some players around. This is fairly common. I just switch them for the guys and then their lineup is good. If they need substitutions from their bench, well they have to take care of that. I just make their lineup legal. It doesn't take that long. If they are playing the game, they can take five minutes in the morning and check their team.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby mkultra » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:25 pm

Yeah, the short answer is "check the next morning". Generally, though, sites will attempt to put newly-acquired players into an active slot if there is one available. My daily league is run on Fantrax, which is nice in that it lets you specify where acquired players fit into your roster with real granularity.

You can also institute a "house rule" something like this:

The day after a player is acquired to your bench, you can request that the Commish move him into your active roster after it locks for the day, as long as both he and the player he is replacing have not started their games yet.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby americanleagueroto » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:04 pm

It really comes down to the owners making the FAAB moves setting their lineup the next A.M.

They know they put a bid in, they should get on and check the next A.M. to see if they won and set their lineup accordigly.

For what it's worth - Weekly Bids/Lineups is where it's at.
Twitter: @dmojr - Always available to talk fantasy or be that second opinion before a trade.
americanleagueroto
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RedTiger » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:21 pm

If they can't check in the morning, that is their fault. However, a manager will only miss one day of stats.

Maybe allow owners to email you saying, "please start the hitter I'm picking up. Player X can be moved from 1B to OF if needed. " That is if they can't set it in the morning and you're ok with. I prefer weekly lineup changes. It narrows the gap between those who can check every day and those who can check only a few times a week.
RedTiger
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 34)

Postby americanleagueroto » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:50 pm

RedTiger wrote:If they can't check in the morning, that is their fault. However, a manager will only miss one day of stats.

Maybe allow owners to email you saying, "please start the hitter I'm picking up. Player X can be moved from 1B to OF if needed. " That is if they can't set it in the morning and you're ok with. I prefer weekly lineup changes. It narrows the gap between those who can check every day and those who can check only a few times a week.

I agree with you on weekly lineups. I've gone from only playing daily to all but one league being weekly this season. In my one daily I was even able to land Trout by chance and that's one of my main issues about daily. I'd much rather every team has a chance to get a player off the wire each week by using a certain % of their FAAB that they deem appropriate. I am able to get on daily and make sure I maximize AB's etc, but it gets old also. Weekly for the win.
Twitter: @dmojr - Always available to talk fantasy or be that second opinion before a trade.
americanleagueroto
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fast dogs » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:04 am

Daily FAAB isn't for every league, many more casual leagues may not like it. You really have to know your owners and how conducive they'll be to change and the extra effort FAAB requires.
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 304)

Postby americanleagueroto » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:28 am

fast dogs wrote:Daily FAAB isn't for every league, many more casual leagues may not like it. You really have to know your owners and how conducive they'll be to change and the extra effort FAAB requires.

For me, I think Daily Leagues play up to those managers who need any extra edge they can get. Maximing AB's etc isn't rocket science and if some owners in your daily league aren't doing that, most semi-knowledgeable owners will take advantage of that.

In Weekly lineup/FAAB leagues however, it really tests owners to make the right calls when setting their lineups and gives every owner an equal chance as the WW once a week. Add/Drops of the hot hand for a couple days are decreased and management of all teams take on a much more realistic feel, IMO
americanleagueroto
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Commissioner's Corner