Who is YOUR number 1 overall pick for 2013? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is YOUR number 1 overall pick for 2013?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Who is YOUR number 1 overall pick for 2013?

Postby Urban Cohorts » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:12 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:This is fun trying to decide who is 1,2, and 3 , but ultimately no one is gonna be pissed to get any one of those three players. Lets discuss someone with some volatility.

Lets talk about the awesomeness that is Bryce Harper. Where you gonna take him in redraft? How about keeper?

In a keeper your going to have to spend an early 1st round pick.
In a redraft I think I would take him around the 4th round but I expect him to be gone in the 2nd.

Agreed. There will always be that crazy guy who overreaches for a young stud. And Harper in the 2nd would fit the bill.

How about Tulo? He has the talent to be a 1st/2nd round caliber player and age/position are on his side. Where does he go in a standard league after an injury riddled 2012? Bump him up in a league that utilizes a MI.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kab21 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:56 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
kab21 wrote:I expect Trout to have a great season next year but young players regardless of how good they are or how good they looked in their first season struggle all the time. JUp posted mediocre years after breakouts in '09 and '11. Hosmer was awful this year after a very good rookie year. Heyward was awful in his sophomore season. None of these players were as awesome as Trout was this year but it wouldn't be shocking if he put up a .275, 15/30 season. I expect more though.

It wouldn't be shocking but trout is on a whole different level than those guys. It's the risk you take with unknown/young players, but Trout's immense amount of skill minimizes that risk imo. He could significantly regress and still be worth a first round pick.

Of course he's on a whole different level than those guys and that's why we are talking about him at #1 overall vs the fifth rd.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:09 pm

I'm done arguing about it for real, though. Nothing can come of it as neither of us can change the others' minds about one of our favorite players. !+)

I'm just blown away that you would actually try to compare past value in real baseball with future value in fantasy baseball. Do you not see how incredibly different those are?
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby jfg » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:19 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:This is fun trying to decide who is 1,2, and 3 , but ultimately no one is gonna be pissed to get any one of those three players. Lets discuss someone with some volatility.

Lets talk about the awesomeness that is Bryce Harper. Where you gonna take him in redraft? How about keeper?

Where did Heyward go in 2011? Seems like he would be a good indicator of where Harper will go.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:58 pm

jfg wrote:

Where did Heyward go in 2011? Seems like he would be a good indicator of where Harper will go.
According to our own 2011 Median Draft Position chart (God I love having this as a resource we can return to for reference...), he was selected 39th. Given Harper's greater hype and upside, I would expect him to go as early as Round 2 in some drafts, and probably not below Round 3 in most.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby dapperslacks » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:47 pm

My top 10

1. Cabrera
2. Braun
3. Kemp
4. Trout
5. Votto
6. McCutchen
7. Pujols
8. Verlander
9. Cano
10. CarGo
dapperslacks
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby benb18a » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:21 pm

I'm hoping somebody has a hard on for Cabrera, Braun or Trout enough to trade up from #3 so I can get some value in the following rounds.
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki
BN: Howard, Rizzo, Donaldson
DL: Tulo
Peavy Sale, Valverde, Axford, Greinke, Marcum, Estrada, Capuano, Hughes, Haren

Public Yahoo league 130-67-13 winrar
benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers