Who goes to activate Johan? (WHIR) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Who goes to activate Johan? (WHIR)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who goes to activate Johan? (WHIR)

Postby nyr199435 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:07 pm

Batters:
1B: 1 point
2B: 2
3B: 3
HR: 4
RBI: 1
SB: 2
CS: -2
BB: 1
IBB: 1
K: -1
GDIP: -4
CYC: 4
SLAM: 5

Pitchers:
IP: 1
W: 7
L: -7
CG: 4.5
SHO: 9
SV: 7
ER: -1
BB: -1
IBB: -1
K: 0.5
HLD: 4
NH: 18
PG: 27
QS: 3.5
BSV: -7

Johan Santana is back tonight for the Mets. He's playing home at Citi Field vs. Atlanta, but will be limited to 90 pitches, so I might not even need to start him today. But still, somebody has to go to activate him.

I would prefer I drop a batter...I have more active batters than I do pitchers, and I can't start them all. I haven't been able to get a trade done either. So who goes? Rutledge? Crawford? Cespedes? Or dare I say it, Harper?

Team/league info below. Thanks, and leave your link!!

12 teams
H2H Points
1 year

C: Buster Posey
1B: Mark Teixeira
2B: Robinson Cano
3B: David Wright
SS: Starlin Castro
OF: Mike Trout
OF: Nelson Cruz
OF: Yoenis Cespedes
Util: Ryan Zimmerman
BN: Bryce Harper, Carlos Santana, Josh Rutledge, Carl Crawford

SP: Justin Verlander, Matt Moore, Adam Wainwright, Tim Lincecum, Josh Johnson, Phil Hughes, Michael Fiers, Mike Minor, Daniel Straily
RP: Greg Holland, Addison Reed, Ryan Cook
DL: Andrew Cashner, Johan Santana
nyr199435
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who goes to activate Johan? (WHIR)

Postby Archibald » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:46 pm

I think you should activate Johan. In a points league, starts are always helpful. Harper and Hughes are two players I don't particularly care for, but I feel like you can still get a decent return for them if your league doesn't have a trade deadline. I'd hold onto Rutledge as he could have a potentially huge week with all his games at home next week. Crawford and Cespedes have also been interesting with trade value.

I'd actually consider dropping a closer. They don't help particularly much in points leagues unless they are very effective with a lot save opportunities. I don't think Greg Holland and Ryan Cook fall into those categories. Holland still walks a little too much and will have limited opps. Cook has been giving up runs left and right and could lose his job to Balfour soon. Of the two, I'd drop Cook.
Archibald
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby nyr199435 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:51 pm

Archibald wrote:I think you should activate Johan. In a points league, starts are always helpful. Harper and Hughes are two players I don't particularly care for, but I feel like you can still get a decent return for them if your league doesn't have a trade deadline. I'd hold onto Rutledge as he could have a potentially huge week with all his games at home next week. Crawford and Cespedes have also been interesting with trade value.

I'd actually consider dropping a closer. They don't help particularly much in points leagues unless they are very effective with a lot save opportunities. I don't think Greg Holland and Ryan Cook fall into those categories. Holland still walks a little too much and will have limited opps. Cook has been giving up runs left and right and could lose his job to Balfour soon. Of the two, I'd drop Cook.

Thanks for the advice. I would just hate to leave a RP spot open every night. I guess I could leave Johan on the DL for now, and try to get a trade going elsewhere.
nyr199435
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Archibald » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:34 pm

That's understandable. Actually, Holland has been much better than I thought looking into the numbers. But Ryan Cook, for example, has just 4.5 points in the last 15 days, 27 points in the last 30 in standard ESPN points leagues. 1 good start from a starting pitcher could definitely bring in more than 27 points. And that's just 1 day. If you choose to stream instead out of 1 slot, you can get even more points. If you stream 1 pitcher every day and they average a very modest 10 points each, you're at 70 points more for the week. And if you stream right, they hardly ever average as low as 10 points each. In points leagues, starting pitching is everything.
Archibald
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions