Need pitching help, will this trade tip the scale? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Need pitching help, will this trade tip the scale? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need pitching help, will this trade tip the scale? WHIR

Postby guilly_99 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:29 pm

Hi,

In my league, I'm actually dead last in ERA/WHIP because of some really bad starts earlier in the season (cough, Liriano...). I'm currently 7th in my 13 teamer and I know my batting is decent and should sustain so would this trade help me to get my pitching back?

My Yoenis Cespedes and Carl Crawford for his Mat Latos and Dan Haren

My team's OF consists of Car-Go, Jason Heyward and Drew Stubbs with LaRoche as my util, as shown in my roster in my sig.

Definitely WHIR wherever you need it.
guilly_99
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need pitching help, will this trade tip the scale? WHIR

Postby gatornuggets » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:07 am

I feel like Haren is the weak point in this deal. Is his back really better? He was awful for a stretch there but has been good over his last three outings. Seems risky but Cespedes is not overly productive. Crawford is a crapshoot. But he is in a productive lineup and is on fire right now. It's tough for me to get a handle on this because I am in a 10 team league.

I would try to replace Haren with someone less risky if you could. But if you could go out and get Justin Ruggiano, Carlos Gomez, Andy Dirks, or Justin Maxwell to replace Crawford, I would do that deal.

Would you drop Minor or Detwiler after this deal?

I prefer to have stronger offense as you get a whole week to average out a bad game. One bad game during a playoff week for a pitcher and that's all you're getting from them for that week unless they are a two starter.

Hope this helps.
gatornuggets
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Archibald » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:03 pm

I too have only played in 10 team leagues. However, I almost think I wouldn't accept the trade if I was on the other side. Cespedes and Crawford don't offer a whole lot in return for Latos alone. But if you can get it, I think it's worthwhile. Haren would appear to be doing ok after his last start. I think it's worth the risk for what you're giving up.

If it doesn't go through, I'd think about what kind of starting pitching is available in free agency. You're carrying a lot of relievers, most of which haven't been particularly effective either. You should consider streaming some pitchers daily to gain some ground in ERA/WHIP. I personally rarely ever even carry relievers at all in favor of streaming spots. Again tho, my experience is limited by what's actually available in a 13-teamer.

Also, don't drop Minor. His command has improved drastically and could be a huge boost for you down the stretch.
Archibald
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby guilly_99 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:47 pm

Thanks for the help everyone, the guy actually accepted and the trade was approved so hopefully I shouldn't have problems with SP for the rest of the season.

I was able to get Maholm from the FA as well, who I will stream matchups along with Minor and Detwiler. My next project will be to improve my RP, but it doesn't look like there's much I can do except hope for FA gems. I got Thayer, hoping that he'd take the closer spot back.
guilly_99
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ATLbraves » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:01 pm

Def was a good trade for you, I think you win this deal actually.

help with mine please:
viewtopic.php?t=451649

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions