Follow My Fantasy Team (Don't Ask Dotel) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Follow My Fantasy Team (Don't Ask Dotel)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Follow My Fantasy Team (Don't Ask Dotel)

Postby KingOfSports » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:39 pm

Hello all,

In this thread, I will be updating my fantasy team lineup and pitching rotation daily. Note that I am not asking for trade/keeper advise or an analysis of my team. Instead, I will be documenting my fantasy team's success (or failure) for anyone who wants to read it. Each day, I will post my team's lineup and how my team performs after all players have completed their games.

What's the point of this? Maybe you've seen Chris Smoove or QJB's videos on YouTube documenting their NBA 2k12 MyPlayer experience. This will be the same thing except in fantasy baseball form (and without video). Of course, feel free to comment on anything you wish. This is basically a blog of my team.

Don't Ask Dotel is my team name and I'm currently 5th place overall (out of 12 teams) and I'm 2nd place in the East Division. 6 teams make the playoffs. I'm only 4 games behind the guy in first and I have a very light schedule ahead of me. Stay tuned!

LEAGUE RULES

12 Team H2H Categories

1 of the following: Catcher, First baseman, Second baseman, Third baseman, Shortstop, Utility
3 of the following: Outfielders
11 of the following: Pitchers (no limit on how many SPs vs. RPs)

5 bench slots and 3 DL slots meaning you can hold a maximum of 28 players on your roster (25 healthy).

Batting categories: Average, On-base Percentage, Slugging Percentage, Runs, Homeruns, RBI, Steals
Pitching categories: Wins, loses, quality starts, strikeouts, ERA, WHIP, Saves

No innings or at bat limits. 5 matchup acquisitions per week. No keepers.

MY ROSTER

C - Miguel Montero, Arizona Diamondbacks
1B - Miguel Cabrera, Detroit Tigers
2B - Dustin Pedroia, Boston Red Sox
SS - Marco Scutaro, San Francisco Giants
3B - Aramis Ramirez, Milwaukee Brewers
OF - Adrian Gonzalez, Boston Red Sox
OF - Jason Kubel, Arizona Diamondbacks
OF - Jason Heyward, Atlanta Braves
UTIL - Alex Rios, Chicago White Sox
BN - Billy Butler, Kansas City Royals
BN - Ben Revere, Minnesota Twins
DL - Dee Gordon, Los Angeles Dodgers
DL - Emilio Bonifacio, Miami Marlins

SP - Dan Haren, Los Angeles Angels
SP - Madison Bumgarner, San Francisco Giants
SP - C.J. Wilson, Los Angeles Angels
SP - Gio Gonzalez, Washington Nationals
SP - Doug Fister, Detroit Tigers
SP - Kyle Lohse, St. Louis Cardinals
SP - Paul Maholm, Atlanta Braves
SP/RP - Mike Fiers, Milwaukee Brewers
RP - Alfredo Aceves, Boston Red Sox
RP - Grant Balfour, Oakland Athletics
RP - Tom Wilhelmsen, Seattle Mariners
DL - Huston Street, San Diego Padres
Last edited by KingOfSports on Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KingOfSports
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Follow My Fantasy Team (Don't Ask Dotel)

Postby KingOfSports » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:56 pm

Thursday, August 9

Well my team was off to an absolutely insane start this week and with only a few days left in the matchup and up 10-4, I'm going to look to take as many categories as I can against the third worst team in the league.

Anyway, here's the lineup I went with yesterday.

C - Empty
1B - Billy Butler
2B - Dustin Pedroia
SS - Marco Scutaro
3B - Miguel Cabrera
OF - Adrian Gonzalez
OF - Jason Kubel
OF - Empty
UTIL - Empty

I have 3 empty positions because there weren't too many games. But take a look at how my team did.

It's basically been like that the entire week. My team is still somehow batting over .400 with a SLG% over .900 so I'd pretty much destroy any team in the league this week.

My only concern was the pitching aspect. I was down in QS, Ks, and Wins and I thought that if I didn't pick up another guy I'd lose since the other guy has more pitchers than I do the rest of the way. I picked up Will Smith as a spot start and he turned it up big.

Bumgarner vs. Cards: 6.0 IP, 3 hits, 3 runs all earned, 1 walk, 7 Ks, 4.50 ERA, 0.67 WHIP
I get a loss and quality start. I was considering benching him because of all the homeruns the Cardinals hit.

Smith vs. Orioles: 7.0 IP, 6 hits, 2 runs all earned, 3 walks, 5 Ks, 2.57 era, 1.29 whip
Great spot start. Dropped him today haha. Got the QS and the W.

Fister vs. Yankees: I put him on the bench and threw him back in about 15 minutes before gametime. Through 6.1 2 runs on 8 hits. Got another QS but no win or loss.

Anyway, through 5 days look at the dominance my team has put up. These are team averages Sunday-Thursday

.4286 average, .4444 on base percentage, .9018 slugging
29 runs scored, 11 homeruns, 39 RBIs, 2 steals

I'm up in my matchup 11-3. Losing steals by 1. Losing in Ks by 2. tied in wins at 2-2, but we alternate on ties so the other owner gets the point. I could seriously win this matchup 14-0 if my pitchers do well.
KingOfSports
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KingOfSports » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:32 am

Friday, August 10

Wasn't too sure what to do with my lineup today. The lowest PR15 (Player Rating over the past 15 days) of any player on my team is 5.55 outside of Kubel who has struggled outside his 2 HR day yesterday.

Revere, Aramis, and AGon all have double digit PRs. I could really use some speed to take over SBs so I decided to get Rios and Revere both in the lineup. I acquired Bonificaio specifically for situations like this, but alas, two days after I trade for him he gets injured. Hopefully they can get it done by the end of the week.

Wasn't too sure about starting Montero at catcher with Strasburg pitching so I took him out but later put him back in. Turned out ok as he went 0-1 with 2 walks.

On the pitching end I had Maholm against the Mets and Lohse against the Phils. Two bad offenses so obviously I started both guys.

My batters returned to earth yesterday. Turned in a 7-for-34 day with only 1 HR, 5 RBI, 3 R, and 1 SB. Fortunately that one SB tied me with my matchup and I got the point so I took a 12-2 lead.

I got exactly what I expected from Lohse and Maholm and then some. Both got me quality starts which gave me a 13-1 lead and then Maholms win extended my lead to 14-0. There's only be one shutout in the league this entire season, but with only 2 days left in this matchup I might be the second. The guy who is first in the east is 4 games ahead of me. He was losing 12-2 at one point but he's brought it back to 9-5. Still he'll get 9 loses and I would get 0 meaning I'd be ahead by 5 games with three weeks to go and two week opponents.

Street also got me the save, but injured himself in the process and may hit the DL. That would make my closer situation very thin.

Next up I face a team that is 84-140 who I beat in our first matchup and then play a team that is 128-96...I actually pulled off the upset against him last time. Then I end the season against the current six seed in the playoffs at 105-119. I lost to him 8-6 earlier in the year but he doesn't check anymore.

Strategy for Saturday and Sunday: Extend my lead in Steals (tied 3-3). This means I'll have Pedroia, Rios, Heyward and Revere in my lineup for some speed. pitch Dan Haren today b/c he is my last starter and my opponent has two guys going Sunday. I need him to get me a good number of strikeouts. If Haren can get me at least 6 strikeouts, a quality start, and a win, that gives me a 16K lead, 3 more QS, and 2 more wins while my opponent only has 2 more starters (Darvish vs. Detroit and Chen vs. O's).

Here's the box score of my matchup:

KingOfSports
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KingOfSports » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:43 pm

Saturday August 11

Well Danny Haren turned out well...Not. 3.1 innings pitched and gave up 5 runs on 5 hits with 0 strikeouts against none other than the potent Mariners offense. I still have a comfortable lead in ERA and WHIP so that doesn't concern me, but my opponent can easily catch up in Ks as I'm up by 12 and she has 2 starters today vs. my 0 starters. She could also tie me in QS and take over wins so Haren did not do his job, just like he hasn't all year. Unfortunateley, I had the option between him and Cole Hamels. Really wishing I took Hamels...

I picked up Balfour 1-2 days ago because I knew Cook would be losing his job. Balfour extended my lead in saves to 4-2. Wilhelmsen pitched in a non-save situation AGAIN. That's the second time in a row...whats up with that? Plus he gave up a HR.

My batters looked normal for the second day in a row batting .265 AVG, .375 OBP, .412 SLG. I had more walks (6) than RBI (4). I got a stolen base from an unlikely player...Aramis Ramirez with his 5th stolen base of the season gave me a 4-3 lead in that category.

Billy Butler hit his fourth HR in 6 games. Scutaro has picked up at least 1 RBI in 3 of the 4 games he's played for me.

Going into Sunday, I am up 1 steal, 12 strikeouts, 2 quality starts, 1 win, and 2 saves. Every other category I have locked up so worst comes to worst her starters each post more than 12 Ks combined, both get QS and Ws which could make it 11-3 or 12-2. I have no pitchers so I have to hope her starters do poorly and my relievers can get some innings in.
KingOfSports
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KingOfSports » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:01 pm

Sunday, August 12

Well I won my matchup 14-0 thanks to some late inning heroics. After Yu Darvish tied up saves (thanks for none Dan Haren), Tom W. (Mariners closer) came in with 1 out and a man on third. He has two chances to get the K and he strikes out Aybar on 3 pitches to give me the lead again.

Here's the final box score. The guy who is ahead of me lost 13-1 so I'm in first place in the East by 7 games. ;-D

Batters had another great day. Butler, Pedroia, Cabrera, and Gonzalez all went 2-for-3. Ben Revere went 0-for-5 but got a clutch steal. 8 RBIs and 8 runs scored on the day with 1 HR.

Next week here we come!
KingOfSports
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers