Any Advice Would Be Appreciated - AL only - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Any Advice Would Be Appreciated - AL only

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Any Advice Would Be Appreciated - AL only

Postby DontGuessWrong » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:50 am

I'm looking for people to point out weaknesses on my team. Places I could look to improve and categories I should try to get better in. Players or positions I could trade or need to upgrade. Different strategies for targeting particular categories based on my team strengths. Anything would be helpful. Unfortunately I only have until Sunday night to make trades so I could use some quick advice.

League : 8-team AL-only H2H league - Top 2 Make Playoffs

League Categories : OBP, R, HR, RBI, Speed (SB + Triples - CS)
ERA, WHIP, W, S, K - BB

40 man rosters : 14 hitters and 10 pitchers on the active major league roster. 12 minor leaguers and 4 DL spots.
We can play 9 hitters and 9 pitchers every day. You must have between 4-7 starting pitchers. You have to use 1 MR.

We have a $430 cap for the entire 40 man roster. Right now my team salary is $406. I do have a couple players like A-Rod and Gardner on the DL that I could release to open up another $36. Plus whatever pitcher I trade or cut when I activate Morrow when he comes off the DL.

My team is currently in 2nd place, with a couple teams close in 3rd and 4th. After this week we have 3 weeks left until playoffs.

-My 14 active MLB Hitters-

C - Joe Mauer, MIN $26
1B - Eric Hosmer, KC $5
2B - Robinson Cano, NYY $26
SS - Alcides Escobar, KC $10
3B - Brett Lawrie, TOR $5
OF - Nelson Cruz, TEX $15
OF - Yoenis Cespedes, OAK $19
OF - Desmond Jennings, TB $5
DH - Shin Soo Choo, CLE $22

C/1B - Mike Napoli, TEX $22
1B - Kendrys Morales, LAA $19
2B/SS/3B - Kyle Seager, SEA $1
1B/3B/OF - Chris Davis, BAL $10
OF - Alex Gordon, KC $5

-My 10 active MLB Pitchers-

SP - Chris Sale, CHW $12
SP - Max Scherzer, DET $15
SP - Jason Vargas, SEA $10
SP - Brandon McCarthy, OAK $10
SP - Jeremy Hellickson, TB $5

MR - David Robertson, NYY $4
CL - Joe Nathan, TEX $1
CL - Jose Valverde. DET $21
CL - Addison Reed, CHW $8
CL - Ryan Cook, OAK $10

-My 12 Minor Leaguers-

C - Travis d'Arnaud, TOR $5
C - Gary Sanchez, NYY $5
1B - Jonathan Singleton, HOU $5
SS/3B - Manny Machado, BAL $5
OF - Wil Myers, KC $5
OF - Jackie Bradley Jr, BOS $5
OF - Aaron Hicks, MIN $5
OF - Leonys Martin, TEX $5

SP - Dylan Bundy, BAL $5
SP - Manny Banuelos, NYY $5
SP - Cody Buckel, TEX $5
SP - Yordano Ventura, KC $5

-My 4 DL Players-

3B - Alex Rodriguez, NYY $26
OF - Brett Gardner, NYY $10
SP - Brandon Morrow, TOR $19
SP - Michael Pineda, NYY $5
DontGuessWrong
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Any Advice Would Be Appreciated - AL only

Postby HoneyNutIchiros11 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:25 pm

Is this a keeper league of any sort? If not, dump Hosmer and look to the WW, Aybar could be a good pickup because he might be put in between Trout and Pujols in the Angels line up soon so that'll help you out a ton if he is.

Trade Napoli as well, having two catchers doesn't help you out too much unless Mauer doesn't play and in most cases Mauer plays quite a bit. Morrow coming back will help out your pitching for sure, I'd dump A-Rod if I were you too, he's on the DL and when he was playing he wasn't anything spectacular.

Try to get a bigger name in the OF as well if you can.

However, this team did get you to second place so it seems to be working for you, so if you can't do anything I don't see how it'll really hurt you all that much
HoneyNutIchiros11
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DontGuessWrong » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:44 pm

Thanks for the advice. It is a keeper league. We can keep 11 major leaguers and all of our minor leaguers.

The reason I have kept Hosmer is because of his low salary and future potential. I still believe in him going forward but I agree he isn't helping much right now. I was considering trying to add Adrian Gonzalez and Matt Moore in a last minute deal. Assuming Moore finishes the season well, and Gonzalez stays hot, I think it could help my team. I've also been looking at James Shields and maybe Jarrod Parker and Dan Straily as emergency guys I can stash in the minors. Aybar would be a decent pickup potentially but he's already owned.

It seems to me it would make some sense to add a first baseman that could be more solid than all my choices (Hosmer, Morales, C. Davis, Napoli).
Gonzalez is particularly interesting because he also has OF eligibility in my league for this season, so that could be a big name there if one of those other guys are hitting at 1B.
DontGuessWrong
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby HoneyNutIchiros11 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:43 pm

DontGuessWrong wrote:Thanks for the advice. It is a keeper league. We can keep 11 major leaguers and all of our minor leaguers.

The reason I have kept Hosmer is because of his low salary and future potential. I still believe in him going forward but I agree he isn't helping much right now. I was considering trying to add Adrian Gonzalez and Matt Moore in a last minute deal. Assuming Moore finishes the season well, and Gonzalez stays hot, I think it could help my team. I've also been looking at James Shields and maybe Jarrod Parker and Dan Straily as emergency guys I can stash in the minors. Aybar would be a decent pickup potentially but he's already owned.

It seems to me it would make some sense to add a first baseman that could be more solid than all my choices (Hosmer, Morales, C. Davis, Napoli).
Gonzalez is particularly interesting because he also has OF eligibility in my league for this season, so that could be a big name there if one of those other guys are hitting at 1B.

Alright hold tight on to Hosmer then, other than Trout I think he's the most valuable young player in the league.

Gonzalez and Moore are good to go for. Shields is awesome as well, his ERA is bad over the year but over his last four starts he's been fantastic and I'm happy he's finally paying off for me on my team. Moore is a cheaper version of Shields as he gets the exact same run support, still a good pitcher too.

Try getting some good value for Napoli still, don't undersell him at all unless you really want to do the deal because he's just having a bad year and will be good in the next few seasons with that always dangerous Texas offense. Try for Trumbo too if Gonzalez doesn't work out. He'll be a harder guy to get but his numbers are great and is a fantastic keeper guy

Help with mine? http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=451609
HoneyNutIchiros11
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DontGuessWrong » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:31 am

Just want to give a little update on my team to let everyone know how the trade deadline went. When I first posted a message there were 4 teams (out of 8) that were still in contention. After a nice comeback week from my team (down 1-9 on Wed, finished 7-3) the 3rd and 4th place teams surprised everyone and decided to sell some pieces. My main competition had already used most of his salary but was still able to snatch Ian Kinsler. Since I already have a good edge over him in speed and Cano at 2B, it was no big loss to me.

So I ended up making two trades and I'd like to share them with whoever is reading this.

Trade #1 :
I traded Jason Vargas, Manny Machado and Chris Davis
for
Jered Weaver, Adrian Beltre and Carlos Villanueva

My take on the deal : Vargas has been fantastic this season but it's difficult to get aces in this league and I can keep Weaver at a reasonable price next year as well. To get a legit ace at the deadline that isn't a rent-a-player is rare, to say the least. Obviously Machado is an elite prospect who is off to a really hot start. I've had him for a couple years and I know the power he's currently showing isn't sustainable at this point in his career. Beltre is a clear upgrade over Chris Davis and Villanueva has pitched well this season and will battle Hellickson for my final pitching spot the next couple weeks while waiting for Morrow to come off the DL.

Trade #2 :
I traded Eric Hosmer and David Robertson
for
Josh Hamilton and Joel Peralta

My take on the deal : It was tough for me to give up Hosmer but he's clearly not having a great season. Since I would've had to make a decision on extending him, I felt it was a good time to trade him and let someone else deal with that. My team needed a slugger in a big way and there's nobody I'd rather have than Hamilton. He has the tendency to get injured and go through slumps but I only need him to survive (and thrive) for 5 more weeks. Plus there's always the added bonus that he is good enough to carry a team for a couple weeks in the playoffs if he's hot.
DontGuessWrong
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team