Deal for Dickey? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Deal for Dickey? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Deal for Dickey? WHIR

Postby sigriffey » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:54 am

With news that Bautista only has some lingering inflammation and is probable to return n late August, should I accept this offer to bolster my rotation?

Give: Carlos Beltran
Get: R.A. Dickey

12 Team H2H DAILY LEAGUE with 6 Keepers Season to Season, each for 3 years max. * means a keeper entering this season
Stat Categories: R, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG -- IP, CG, W, L, ER, ERA, K, SV, WHIP

MY TEAM

C Mike Napoli
1B Prince Fielder*
2B Dustin Pedroia
3B Miguel Cabrera*
SS Hanley Ramirez*
OF Ryan Braun*
OF Jacoby Ellsbury
OF Justin Upton
UT Adrian Gonzalez
UT Carlos Beltran
UT Giancarlo Stanton
BN Manny Machado
BN Angel Pagan
DL Emilio Bonifacio [eligible two return in about 12 days]
DL Jose Bautista [lingering issues, out indefinitely]
DL David Ortiz [MAY return Sunday]

SP Clayton Kershaw
SP Cliff Lee
SP CC Sabathia
RP Craig Kimbrel
RP Aroldis Chapman
P Jason Motte
P Greg Holland
P Adam Wainwright
BN Zack Greinke
BN Tim Lincecum
BN Doug Fister
DL Tommy Hanson [eligible to return Aug 15]
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Deal for Dickey? WHIR

Postby footballisbetter.com » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:20 am

I'm still saying no. I don't see that your pitching needs bolstered. I think Beltran will be more valuable to your team.

see mine? viewtopic.php?f=26&t=451532
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 92)

Postby mayor quimby » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:58 am

footballisbetter.com wrote:I'm still saying no. I don't see that your pitching needs bolstered. I think Beltran will be more valuable to your team.

see mine? viewtopic.php?f=26&t=451532

I just don't understand this though. What value with Beltran bring sitting on the bench everyday once Bats is back?? AND Big Papi??? The answer is none. Bench players add no value, obviously, and an extra ace pitcher on your staff adds tremendous value.

Dickey, however, we know what he's going to do the rest of the season. To add onto reasons for which you should make this deal, Terry Collins is in serious talks about having Dickey start on short rest starting very soon, which is HUGE. Imagine having a start from Dickey almost twice a week every week for the rest of the year. That's how you win a championship.

I can't stress that this deal makes the most sense for you enough. It's an absolute no brainer.

EDIT: Holy S*** I didn't even realize that complete games are a category in your league. A guy like Dickey, who doesn't throw a pitch higher than 85 MPH, eats complete games for breakfast.

DICKEY!!!
Last edited by mayor quimby on Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mayor quimby
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby ATLbraves » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:02 pm

I like this trade if this is the only ace pitcher you can get. I'm not a big believer in Dickey the ROS, but he should be more valuable for you down the stretch then a guy sitting on your bench.

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mayor quimby » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:54 pm

Speak of the devil - CG gem from Dickey today. 10 k's.

If you don't pull the trigger soon I wouldn't be surprised if this deal doesn't get done.
mayor quimby
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby footballisbetter.com » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:58 pm

Quimby makes good points. Maybe I was too harsh.
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 92)

Postby sigriffey » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:52 pm

Made the deal!

Appreciate all the input, Pro and Con. Always good to weigh every angle before rushing into anything.

NOW, if anyone is still reading this post, any suggestions as to a 2 for 1 that makes sense? I will have this dilemma, barring further injury:

-Machado can be dropped when Papi returns (i hope on Sunday)
-Pagan can be dropped when Hanson returns (supposedly Aug 15)
-Who to drop when Bonifacio returns?
-Who to drop when Bautista returns?

It seems I'd have to drop Greg Holland for one of those last two, which is bad enough. But THEN what do I do? As is, I don't want to drop anyone further.
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic

Postby germani40 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:00 pm

I wouldnt do it. If you are looking to make a move for your pitching aim higher than Dickey. People have said he always struggles early in the season because its not a good pitch for cold weather. Being in New York the fantasy playoffs will be cold. Just a little thing I wouldnt do the deal. Aim higher if you need to. Throw Beltran and a middle tier pitcher for a stud. Or you could maybe try to go Upton straight up for a stud pitcher on a rebuilding team.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=451595
germani40
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 98)

Postby mayor quimby » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:07 pm

germani40 wrote:I wouldnt do it. If you are looking to make a move for your pitching aim higher than Dickey. People have said he always struggles early in the season because its not a good pitch for cold weather. Being in New York the fantasy playoffs will be cold. Just a little thing I wouldnt do the deal. Aim higher if you need to. Throw Beltran and a middle tier pitcher for a stud. Or you could maybe try to go Upton straight up for a stud pitcher on a rebuilding team.

Lol, ignore this.

You made the right move.
mayor quimby
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sigriffey » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:20 pm

germani40 wrote:I wouldnt do it. If you are looking to make a move for your pitching aim higher than Dickey. People have said he always struggles early in the season because its not a good pitch for cold weather. Being in New York the fantasy playoffs will be cold. Just a little thing I wouldnt do the deal. Aim higher if you need to. Throw Beltran and a middle tier pitcher for a stud. Or you could maybe try to go Upton straight up for a stud pitcher on a rebuilding team.

I see your logic and it's sound. But I made the move because there's literally nobody better available and I think even in late September New York sees its share of balmy days (at least when I lived there up thru 2008). Now, late October, that's a different story!
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions