Manny Machado CALLED UP by Orioles - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Manny Machado CALLED UP by Orioles

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Manny Machado CALLED UP by Orioles

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:32 am

Reportedly, this call up wasn't a spur of the moment thing. Machado has been practicing quite a bit at 3B in recent weeks even though he continued to start at SS. Although his overall numbers aren't eye-popping, I bet the Orioles scouting staff believe he can make enough adjustments at the MLB level that he'll succeed more than the current Andino/Betemit platoon.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby HighHeater » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:37 am

An unbelievably dumb move on behalf of that entire Baltimore front office.
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigZ38 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:12 pm

If he comes up and sucks, so what? It's not going to impact the player he can be long term, and if it does then he wasn't mentally strong enough to hold his own.

Trout was terrible last year at 19. Rizzo was horrible last year. Both have done well this year because they were able to make adjustments.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby bayside » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:46 pm

I think the most important question in keeper/dynasty leagues is, will he retain SS eligibilty for next year?
Seems like a no at this point
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RyeWhiskey » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:49 pm

Maybe I'm missing something here, but a career minor league line of .263/.344/.432/.776 doesn't scream top prospect to me. He does have a nice K/BB ratio but the power/speed combo seems less exciting than I'm being led to believe. I'm going to add him anyway, but perhaps someone could fill me in on the justifications for all the hype? ;-D
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BigZ38 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:26 pm

bayside wrote:I think the most important question in keeper/dynasty leagues is, will he retain SS eligibilty for next year?
Seems like a no at this point

He'll get it back, maybe not right away, but I have a hard time envisioning him going through a 160 game season without playing short.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:37 pm

Baltimore has said that Machado is the SS of the future. but JJ Hardy is signed for 2012, 2013, and 2014 at $7 MIL a season.
do the Orioles trade Hardy at some point and use Machado at SS? or does Hardy remain at SS and Machado plays 3B for the near future at least?
Hardy will be 30 this season, so it's not like he's old.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 82)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:46 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:Baltimore has said that Machado is the SS of the future. but JJ Hardy is signed for 2012, 2013, and 2014 at $7 MIL a season.
do the Orioles trade Hardy at some point and use Machado at SS? or does Hardy remain at SS and Machado plays 3B for the near future at least?
Hardy will be 30 this season, so it's not like he's old.

I've wondered the same thing. Can Hardy play 2B?

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BigZ38 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:17 pm

2-3 (including a triple) plus a run scored. Twice as good as Mike Trout!
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J35J » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:50 pm

RyeWhiskey wrote:Maybe I'm missing something here, but a career minor league line of .263/.344/.432/.776 doesn't scream top prospect to me. He does have a nice K/BB ratio but the power/speed combo seems less exciting than I'm being led to believe. I'm going to add him anyway, but perhaps someone could fill me in on the justifications for all the hype? ;-D

Mostly all projection. 3rd overall pick drafted with a huge amount of potential. Remember he was a highschool kid when drafted...his first year was at the age of 17/18, second year 18/19, this year 19/20 years old. He's also an infielder and not an outfielder so slightly lesser numbers play better than needing to put up gaudy OF stats to be relevant.

Also, for what it's worth, possible tweaks that are showing good signs...take it for what it's worth...
SpecialFNK wrote:this is what razzball.com had to say about Machado back on July 1st.
By the numbers, Manny Machado struggled through his first two months of Double-A baseball. It seemed like most nights I looked at Bowie’s box, Machado’s line was 0-fer. But then I’d read something from the O’s about how his current production was of no concern, that he was tweaking his approach, that scouts are still encouraged. Still, it’s hard not to be a little worried when the guy I ranked No. 2 on this list is slugging just .375 at the end of May. Well, it appears now that whatever tweaks Machado had been working on are beginning to take hold. Since the calendar rolled over into June, Machado has been a different guy at the plate, peaking especially during his last ten: .444/.500/.806, 3 HR, 16 RBI. He’ll be a fun guy to keep an eye on the rest of the way.

All I know is that I didn't think, most people didn't think, that Trout would really do a whole lot this year...maybe hit .270 with some steals, and he's freakin the MVP of the league. I'm not saying Machado will do anything near what Trout is but if he can do even half then that's a huge get off the ww/fa list down the stretch run and into the playoffs...no risk in a fa/ww pickup, especially one with so much "potential".
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 392)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers