Manny Machado CALLED UP by Orioles - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Manny Machado CALLED UP by Orioles

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Manny Machado CALLED UP by Orioles

Postby Shiti Field » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:28 pm

Wow.

Ben Badler ‏@BenBadler

Holy moly RT @danconnollysun Orioles are bringing up Manny Machado
Shiti Field
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Manny Machado CALLED UP by Orioles

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:39 pm

expectations?

this year in AA - 108 games, 399 AB - .266/.343/.431/.774/ 26 D/ 5 T/ 10 HR/ 13 SB/ 4 CS/ 10.3 BB%/ 15.4 K%/
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/ ... ny-machado
http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?pl ... osition=SS

I also read on twitter something about playing 3B. is that true, or does he play SS?

he just turned 20 on July 6th.

EDIT: rotoworld.
The Orioles are planning to promote top position prospect Manny Machado on Thursday.
The third overall pick in 2010 has been developed as a shortstop but will play third base down the stretch for the O's with J.J. Hardy holding firm to his starting job. Machado, 20, was batting .266/.350/.431 with 10 home runs and 58 RBI in 108 games at Double-A Bowie. He's a great guy to own in dynasty formats and should carry some value this summer in AL-only fantasy leagues.

so he will be playing 3B.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:45 pm

this is what razzball.com had to say about Machado back on July 1st.
By the numbers, Manny Machado struggled through his first two months of Double-A baseball. It seemed like most nights I looked at Bowie’s box, Machado’s line was 0-fer. But then I’d read something from the O’s about how his current production was of no concern, that he was tweaking his approach, that scouts are still encouraged. Still, it’s hard not to be a little worried when the guy I ranked No. 2 on this list is slugging just .375 at the end of May. Well, it appears now that whatever tweaks Machado had been working on are beginning to take hold. Since the calendar rolled over into June, Machado has been a different guy at the plate, peaking especially during his last ten: .444/.500/.806, 3 HR, 16 RBI. He’ll be a fun guy to keep an eye on the rest of the way.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby daullaz » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:04 am

It's a little disconcerting that he'll have to play an unfamiliar position, which will likely hinder him in the early going. However, he's too talented not to get scooped up in most leagues, especially with the quality of SSs this year. I dumped Theriot for him in one league and Escobar for him in another, and he has till Desmond/Tulo come back in those leagues. If you have Rutledge though, I'd stick with the Rockie.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby bigken117 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:05 am

I don't expect much, but I still dumped Peralta for him in a 10 tm redraft where I have Lowrie and Desmond waiting to get back

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:13 am

I have a sinking feeling that they're rushing him. I'm unbelievably excited about him, but I just don't think he's quite ready. As is, he's playing 3B rather than his natural position of SS, and he's only 20 years old. He is doing well in the last couple weeks in the minors, but struggled a bit before that. I wouldn't expect a ton in terms of fantasy value for this year. He's worth a flyer in deeper leagues or if you're really hurting at 3B or SS (will he be eligible at SS?). He's spectacular defensively, which will help the O's, but I think his real life impact will be greater than his fantasy impact.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ensanimal » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:37 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I have a sinking feeling that they're rushing him. I'm unbelievably excited about him, but I just don't think he's quite ready. As is, he's playing 3B rather than his natural position of SS, and he's only 20 years old. He is doing well in the last couple weeks in the minors, but struggled a bit before that. I wouldn't expect a ton in terms of fantasy value for this year. He's worth a flyer in deeper leagues or if you're really hurting at 3B or SS (will he be eligible at SS?). He's spectacular defensively, which will help the O's, but I think his real life impact will be greater than his fantasy impact.

He's SS in Yahoo. I picked him up in a 12 team league, worth a shot.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:51 am

ensanimal wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I have a sinking feeling that they're rushing him. I'm unbelievably excited about him, but I just don't think he's quite ready. As is, he's playing 3B rather than his natural position of SS, and he's only 20 years old. He is doing well in the last couple weeks in the minors, but struggled a bit before that. I wouldn't expect a ton in terms of fantasy value for this year. He's worth a flyer in deeper leagues or if you're really hurting at 3B or SS (will he be eligible at SS?). He's spectacular defensively, which will help the O's, but I think his real life impact will be greater than his fantasy impact.

He's SS in Yahoo. I picked him up in a 12 team league, worth a shot.

Worth stashing, but if you have a serviceable option at SS, I would keep Machado on the bench until he shows he can hit at the major league level.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:58 am

he's worth a flier if you can afford to lose someone else.
I've read he has comparison to a young Alex Rodriguez.

does seem like they're rushing him though. only 20 years old with this year being his 1st season in AA.
would his AVG in the minors be low because of BABIP?
12 AA- .266 AVG/ .297 BABIP
11 A+ - .245 AVG/ .286 BABIP
11 A - .276 AVG/ .296 BABIP
shouldn't his BABIP be higher?
he has good BB% and K%.

regardless of how he does this season, is there a high percentage he starts next season with Baltimore right from the start? I'm in a 16 team keeper league where we only keep 5. right now I have 5 guys like Price/Butler/Choo/Uggla/Rollins. wondering if Machado would be worth a keep, or whether it's worth just taking a shot in drafting him next year.

I also read on mlbtraderumors.com that Dylan Bundy could also be brought up in September, but likely pitch out of the pen.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby J35J » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:16 am

Just about anyone with upside is worth a flier as we've learned this year....the upside is just too great to allow someone else to take that flier and have him pan out in a big way...unless you just have no room then you'll want to take a chance on him.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers